Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's for dinner Sunday?

Posted by patti43 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 17:03

Tonight is leftovers. There is Spanish rice, egg salad, some fried bacon for a BLT if Harry wants it. I'll have tomato and cottage cheese, I think.

What's for dinner at your house tonight?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's for dinner Sunday?

Lunched with friend, from church today. Everyone else was going separate ways.

Lloyds: I had half plate serving of dark fried chicken, leg and thigh, with creamed corn and brought home the butter peas and froze them.

Bess had half plate serving of hamburger steak with onions and gravy, a salad and fried green tomatoes.

Just woke from nap and gotta make a dish for potluck tomorrow.

o

Gorgeous sunny day today. It's supposed to hit 32C (yuck) on Tues again, just for a day or two, then back down to the mid 20's.

I made bread, a chocolate-zucchini cake, and now I have chicken pieces simmering in a sauce of vegetable cocktail, a bit of rum, garlic and onions. We'll have mashed potatoes with it, and not sure yet of the veggie. We have dessert figured out anyway....chocolate-zucchini cake and ice cream.

o

A sandwich of deli lunchmeat on ww bun with lettuce, tomato, and onion. Also had a bowl of great northern beans.

Guess I'll head over to jasdip's in a little while for dessert.

Shirley

o

Picked up some Porterhouse steaks today and made some potato salad. That should put me in DH's good graces. I don't make steak that often because it's not my favorite but he could eat steak every night. Just have to make a tossed salad for the greens.

o

A toss-up between enchiladas or bean soup.....soup won. They are both left-overs and have to go into the freezer now.

o

I think spaghetti and meat sauce with mushrooms and onions and garlic bread.

o

Pork shoulder roast, baked potatoes, sauteed green beans. New recipe for the roast. *fingers crossed*

o

long day and didn't cook so clamchowder, and did make bisquick rolls...

o

Glenda, you and Bess both had great meals. It'd be hard to decide which one to order. Have fun tomorrow at your pot luck/birthday party!

Jasdip, good day to make bread. I've never had the chocolate version of zucchini bread, but Pinterest has some pretty pictures.

Shirley, LOL! Have a good time visiting with Jas!

Georgysmom, I think your DH will bow down in front of you in honor. Sounds like a dinner every man would love to have.

Phyllis, my Spanish rice has to go to the freezer, too. We just don't eat as much as we used to.

Raven, I think that sounds like a wonderful idea. I miss garlic bread!

Angelaid, what's in your new recipe for pork roast??

o

Your cake and ice cream is waiting for you Gadgets!!

o

That does look good...Jas

I put on 2lbs of pintos this am...loaded with home grown garlic and shallots.and when nearly soft tossed in a pound of cubed ham.

Hubby will grill some Hot Links too.

I might make some sweet corn muffins and slaw...

Need to make a lunch box goodie too...but I can't decide what...

o

Seeing that cake picture is pure torture. lol Wish I could reach right through the computer and grab it.

Shirley

o

Chicken with gravy, mashed potatoes, carrots and sauteed cabbage.
Great comfort food.

o

The roast recipe/method is copied and pasted below. I was so worried about the length of time at that heat (it was just a tiny little roast, maybe 4 or 5 lbs), but it came out so good! Hubby said a couple of times that it tasted exactly like how he remembers his mom's cooking and that he felt like he just sat back down at her dinner table (she's been gone 30 years). Very happy memories for him. He mentioned it again this morning. This is the only way I'll do pork shoulder roasts now:

Default Re: Question about Pork Roasts

You will LOVE this!!! It is sooooo awesome!

Pork roast (shoulder or butt)
oven set at 325 degrees
flour( 1 cup) salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and a dash or two of cayenne in a bag. Toss in roast and coat on all sides.
Place in pan and bake for 4 hours. DO NOT baste
I guarantee you will think you went to heaven!

I just throw the flour and spices in a bag and then the roast. I make sure to coat it well with the flour mix and then put it in a pan with a rack. Do not cover, do not baste, do not add any anything. Just let it cook. It is fabulous. It is an old hispanic recipe and I've had it forever. I wish I could give proper credit, but I can't. Try it, you'll love it! Just be sure to use a cheap cut of pork (shoulder or butt) I've never tried it with a tenderloin.

o

angelaid, Just want to make sure I have this right, and not assume. There is NO liquid put in the pan at all??

Shirley

o

Not one drop! I was surprised. Stared at that recipe in my "to try" folder for several years, not wanting to ruin a good pork shoulder roast. Finally, all the reviews won me over. I was very glad they did.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here