Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just a bowl of butterbeans!

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 16:39

And get ready for your toes to go tap tap tapping.

Hope no one is offended as it is taken from a religious song.

Song has been around forever and a day!

Here is a link that might be useful: Just a bowl of butterbeans

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just a bowl of butterbeans!

Thanks don't like butterbeans but loved this

o

Glenda,,not only is that new lyrics to an old religious song, it is sung in a style that was common to rural churches years ago.

That style of music is called "Line'n" and it began in rural churches were most of the congregation could not read or write so they couldn't sing from a hymnal. The solution was to have one person read the lyric and shout it out, then the congregation would follow by singing it.

Although it is very seldom done today, that is one of my favite types of gospel music.

Now that the lesson is over,,,You can pass me a big bowl of them butter beans too....LOL

o

Loved the video....hate butter beans! One of the very few things I simply cannot eat. I keep trying, but there's just something about them.

o

Oh I dearly love a pot of butter beans and ham with some cornbread if you please!
Ummmm huuuuummmm!

o

One of my favorite dried beans to cook is butter beans, but around here, we just call them lima beans. As a kid, a bowl of the beans with a slice of bread and butter always hit the spot.

Shirley

o

Just a bowl of good ole butterbeans is gonna be in my head the rest of the day, plus my foot a tapping :o)

Growing up, only way I could eat butterbeans was with ketchup on them!

o

Glenda We should post this song on the Earworm Thread (it's about music not about worms )

o
RE: Just a bovvvwl of butterbeans!

minnie, please do!

o
RE: Just a bbbbbowl of butterbeans!

o

Geesh! I haven't heard that song for more years than I care to remember. Can't wait to play it for Harry.

That picture you just posted has made me very hungry for a big ole bowl of butterbeans.

Thanks for the memory!

o

Butterbeans are different than lima beans and yes I enjoy both--with butter and seasoning.

o
RE: Just a bvvvowl of butterbeans!

Did ya listen to the song? It's toe tapping :o)

o

I love butterbeans. I'll have to pick up a couple of packages of them at the store. Oh, dear....and some corn meal and bacon, lol!

o

I love butter beans and I loved the song. I was going tap,tap,tap and singing along with Little Jimmie Dickens.
Can't believe I have never heard that before.
Lois

o

I LOVE this video link! yes! Post this to the earwig post.

o

I too love dried butter beans, not the green lima ones. I can not view or see the song.

Sue

o

I just played it for my husband, we were both singing along, and wanting some butter beans. I have the bag of dry beans on the counter to soak tonight and I have the ham hocks in the fridge. It won't be long now!

o

I love butter beans. They are so much better than lima beans.

Next weekend is the Butter Bean Festival in the next little town over from me. I think I will have to attend. They are supposed to have the worlds biggest pot of Butter Beans.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butter Bean Festival

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here