Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elder Beerman and Goodwill

Posted by schoolhouse (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 16:00

I shopped at Elder Beerman this afternoon and got some good deals. As I was checking out, the cashier said she wanted to remind me of their special program going on now through Sept. 29th, where for every item of clothing you bring into the store OR to Goodwill, you get a 25% off coupon! Say what? I told her I had just dropped off a big bag of t-shirts to the Goodwill store on the way to EB. She said the guy should have given me the coupons, well all he asked is if I wanted the receipt. Dang! You know what she did? she gave me 25% off two of the sweaters I bought anyway, wasn't that nice of her? A Calvin Klein sweatshirt jacket thing she said wasn't included in the deal. I'm not sure why. Maybe because it wasn't on sale. Then she told me, "If I were you, I'd go right back over to Goodwill and get those coupons".

I made her repeat, "one coupon for every item of clothing". How can that be? I had alot of t-shirts in that bag! Well, I decided there wasn't really anything else I saw that I wanted to buy at EB, so passed on going back for the coupons. The lady also said she was going to phone Goodwill and remind them they should be offering them. I bet anything employees wouldn't cater to counting all the clothes in the bags right? Thought I'd pass the info along in case you shop EB.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elder Beerman and Goodwill

Wow...wish we still had Elder Beerman's!

o

Younkers is doing that here but only 20% off. Not sure if I will take advantage of it.

o

At our area Goodwills, they don't give a break on much - usually it's the bottom of the barrel junk and they end up sending it to be sold online.

o

Our Goodwill stores are so expensive you would be better off going to Target! And everything is worn out old junk. Seriously, I have no idea how they stay in business! It's like they think they have GOLD or something...gah! I realize they have bills to pay but who is going to pay a big price for some worn out old clothes. You can go to garage sales and people will give you a bag of clothes for a few dollars if you offer it!

o

Many people shop at Goodwill for other items besides clothing and as another means of donating. There are also men and women employed there who would not otherwise be able to work.
You used to be able to get great bargains on vintage items, but I know people who comb the Goodwills specifically for those.

The 25% off coupons are good towards clothing purchases at Elder Beerman.

o

One thing they still have cheap prices on are books. That is a bargain compared to the book store. But Cookbooks on the other hand are expensive...can't win for losin'.

o

Had to run an errand today and on the way dropped off a bag of sweaters to Goodwill. Told myself I didn't need the coupons, but as soon as she took the bag and proceeded to walk away it came out of my mouth, "Are you suppose to give coupons for Elder Beermans?" The girl didn't appear enthused but she said she didn't know for sure she'll ask her manager. Came back with four coupons. I asked her how they are figuring the amount of coupons and she just said "I don't know for sure, my manager just said to give you four". Ok, that'll do.

o

One of the (minor) guides to (a frugal) life is:

"Ya don't ask - ya don't get".

And sometimes one finds a generous soul in business that offers some guidance along that road.

Is Younkers a fairly widespread chain? Sue used to visit them in Des Moines and I gather from your post, jkayd, that you're a resident of Illinois.

ole joyfuelled ... with a bit o' fuel help from a penny saved, here and there

o

Yes ole joyful, I do live in Illinois but only 10 miles from the Iowa border so I do 95% of my shopping in Iowa. I do wish my sales tax was going to the state of Illinois not Iowa but it's the closest shopping to me.

o

the cashier said she wanted to remind me of their special program going on now through Sept. 29th, where for every item of clothing you bring into the store OR to Goodwill, you get a 25% off coupon!
It sounds like the cashier might have been mistaken. I received something in the mail, and think it said donated items were to be brought to Elder Beerman in order to get the discount.

In reading a bit on line, that seems to be the case on many sites.

From the link below...
Elder-Beerman stores are holding their semi-annual Goodwill Sale through September 29. When you donate your gently-used clothing at any Elder-Beerman location, you'll receive a coupon to purchase new clothing from Elder-Beerman. Your donated items will be sold at Marion Goodwill stores, where the revenues fund job training and placement services to help people in Marion find and keep jobs.

and this from another site...Customers who donate gently-used clothing at any of the 272 Bon-Ton Stores locations, including Elder-Beerman in Marion, will receive a coupon to purchase Bon-Ton's fall fashions. The donated items will be sold at Marion Goodwill stores, where the revenues fund job training and placement services to help people in Marion find and keep jobs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elder-Beerman Stores Partner with Goodwill, Offers Deal

o

The Goodwill store by me sometimes runs bag sales. All you can stuff in a paper bag for ten bucks!

o

The Elder Beerman cashier was not mistaken. At least the Goodwill store in my area was to hand out coupons when you brought the donated clothing to the GW store. OR, bring the clothing into Elder Beerman and they would donate it to GW, giving you the coupons.

Re my last post. GW gave me four coupons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here