SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathsgrdn

Tamoxifen

Kathsgrdn
9 years ago

I have a friend who has just had a mastectomy. She chose that even though the cancer was pretty small. She just wanted to be on the safe side. It hadn't spread to the lymph nodes. No chemo, no radiation needed. Her oncologist is recommending Tamoxifen as a preventative for the other breast, though. The cancer she had in the removed breast is triple negative and was told Tamoxifen is not effective toward this type of cancer. However, she is being told that she more than likely has precancerous cells in the remaining breast and this will prevent her from getting cancer that it does affect. She at first turned it down after hearing about all the side affects. Now she is second-guessing her decision. She asked my opinion but I don't have any information on it, just what little I've read about it...which isn't much. Working at the VA we get very few women and very few breast cancer patients so it's not something I think about researching just to have information when I'm taking care of someone. She's a nurse too, but is a NICU nurse.

I texted a friend at work (another nurse) who had used this drug years ago. She didn't have any good things to say about it and only took it for a short time because of the side effects and 2 of her friends nearly died from pulmonary embolisms after taking the drug. My friend is supposed to take it for 5 years. I asked her if it was ok if I post this message. She is wanting to make an informed decision.

I know quite a few of you have gone through breast cancer treatment here and hope someone can give us firsthand knowledge of what to expect if she does take it. Are you glad you did? If not, why? Any information you are willing to share will be helpful. Her surgeon basically told her it was up to her. No reasons why she should or should not take it, just "it's up to you." She tried to make an appointment with the oncologist again to discuss it one more time but was told they might be able to do it over the phone. That doesn't sound too encouraging to me.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio