Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about homemade hand cream/body cream.

Posted by bryansda (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 15:09

I came across a recipe for homemade hand cream that is simple and would work nicely on my hands this winter. It's made up of baby lotion, vasoline and vitamin E cream mixed together with a mixer and then put in jars. Now for my question. Do you think coconut oil could used successfully in place of the vasoline? I've used coconut oil from time to time on my skin and it soaks in better and isn't as greasy as vasoline.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about homemade hand cream/body cream.

I don't see the point. You are taking 3 products that can hold in moisture and mixing them together. It seems a bit redundant to me, not to mention costly since there are pleanty of creams on the market in several formulas.

The vaseline is at the high end of the scale of having the ability to hold in moisture and the baby lotion at the low end.

If you used coconut oil the whole I'd be afraid the whole mixture could go rancid so I would only make a little bit at a time.

The "secret" to this lotion is petroleum jelly. The baby lotion just emulsifies it and makes it smell nice.

o

Wildchild I have tried many of the creams that are on the market and most are too greasy to suit me and are FAR from cheap. I need something stronger than the baby lotion but nothing as strong as the vasoline. I could also make much more of the cream with 3 ingredients and cheaper than buying one cream that I end up giving away. Thank you for you thoughts.

o

I make this all the time and I love it.

o

nanatricia, what is the recipe you use, the one with baby lotion, vasoline and vitamin E cream? If that's the one you use is it greasy? That's why I was thinking about replacing the vasoline with coconut oil. Do you think it would work?

o

Yes I use the one you have and I do not find it greasy.
here is another one I found on pinertrest.
http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/02/make-your-own-moisturizing-body-butter.html

o

Thank you, I'll take a look at that recipe too. What do you think about using the coconut oil instead of the vasoline?

o

Thanks nanatricia for the site. I clicked on another link on that site for body butter and there it was, the same recipe but using coconut oil instead of the vasoline. I got my answer so thank you very much.

o

I have used this for years. It's the only thing that keeps my skin soft especially in winter.

I use the creamy vaseline in the tube. I also use any lotion that I like the smell of. Right now mine smells like Avon's Haiku. I ordered some of that skin so soft.

I tried to make it using coconut oil only but, it kept separating. Now it has both coconut oil and the creamy vaseline. It seems to work much better.

With the coconut oil in it, it seems to be a little oily when you first put it on, but it sinks in pretty fast.

I rub this into my heals every night and I never have those dry nasty looking heals.

o

Thanks nannybird for the information. I got some glycerine today while I was out, thinking it might be good to put a tablespoon or 2 in this concoction to help with separation. I don't know if it will work or not but thought I'd try it anyway.

o

I made my semi-home lotion/cream and love it. I used baby lotion, vitamin E cream, coconut oil and about a tablespoon of glycerin. It soaks into my skin nicely and isn't greasy at all. I wish it was unscented or at least a lighter scent, but i do like the smell of baby lotion just don't like things fighting my cologne. I kind of look at this as a way to make the coconut oil creamy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here