Posted by mammie (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 14:09

I really like it this way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cauliflower

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Speaking of Cauliflower

Sounds good.

We just do cauliflower cut into 1" pieces and then I melt cheese on top and stir it in.

o

I like it roasted too. Love it just about anyway it is fixed, but I usually just cook it until a little bit tender and eat it with butter.

o

I love it anyway too, even just raw.

o

I have never found a way to fix it that I don't like:

Chunks of raw califlower, broncholi and carrots with my home made ranch dressing for dipping.

Bite size pieces battered and deep fried as an apetizer (serve along with deep fried mushrooms and deep fried cheddar cheese)

Boiled until tender, then drain and serve with butter or cheese sauce.

But my favorite is to put chunks of califlower, brocholi, carrots, potatoes (and sometimes cabbage) in the steamer. Toss in a couple whole keilbasa or a mess of keilbasa chunks, or even chunks of ham and steam until the veggies are tender. That makes a whole meal in about 20min cooking time, with a minimum effort.

Now if I am feeling more ambitious I get out my antique cookbooks from the early 1800's and make creamed califlower, califlower soup or even califlower pie.

o

I love cauliflower any way I can get it but my favourite is pureed cauliflower. Steam the florettes, add some warm milk, butter, fresh garlic or garlic powder and puree all together until smooth. I eat this instead of mashed potatoes. It is so good I can easily eat the entire pot.

Anne

o

I love frosted cauliflower:

trim and rinse the whole head and put it in a microwave safe casserole with a lid. Nuke for about ten minutes. While it's cooking, mix up about 1/2 cup of mayo and a good couple TBLS of mustard. When the cauliflower is done, spread this mixture all over it, then sprinkle liberally with shredded cheese. Put the lid back on and nuke for just a minute or two to melt the cheese.

If there's any left....I use it to make cream of cauliflower soup.

I'm thinking a head of cauliflower is going on my grocery list for tomorrow.....

o

Mammie, that recipe looks so good! Lemon-tahini sauce....yum!

o

I like cauliflower. Does everyone know you can sometimes buy purple or orange cauliflower?

o

I like cauliflower many ways. Raw by itself or with a dip. Steamed to a mashed potato consistency, and is a great potato substitute. But I also like the medley of carrots, broccoli and cauliflower mixed in with bacon and sausage and let it fry a bit in the fat and then steam a bit too. I'm not a big fan of the cheese sauces on vegetables though.

o

One of the first soups I'll fix later this fall will be cream of cauliflower. I usually add smoked sausage to it and cheese. It's a favorite, but we both love it no matter how it's fixed....including raw.

My soup is made just like cream of potato soup...with onions, celery, and carrots cooked in a good chicken broth or stock then heavy cream added at the end.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here