Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Never had a Taco Omelet before

Posted by cynic (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 14:04

The other day I was at my favorite little breakfast restaurant and they had a special going on a taco omelet. The waitress said you'll love it, I guarantee it. Hey, when this sincere lady guarantees something you gotta take her word for it! And she was right. I did like it.

Normally I'm not much on mixing things for the sake of mixing them. Taco pizza? No. Not really into them. But this was very good. Didn't think about it until I started eating it that I'm supposed to avoid heavily spiced foods for a while but it was very mild. You could doctor it up if you want. That's the kind of options I like. Put the condiments on after, don't force everyone to have to deal with your favorite bottled sauces.

Anyway, I also liked the way they served it. Just the meat and cheese went into the eggs. On the side were tomatoes, olives, onions and lettuce. Salsa and sour cream on the side along with toast and a big plate of hash browns. Put it together how you want.

Excellent breakfast. I hope they have that special often. She said it was the second time they offered it and it sold out the first time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Never had a Taco Omelet before

The only problem I see is they should have served it with refried beens and a pile of hot flour tortillas

o

Cynic, that sounds good. What kind of meat was in the omelet?

o

Sounds good.

I'm with you, lazypup. Only I want corn tortillas and some pico de gallo with my beans.

o

usually the morning after we have taco's I take the onions, tomatoes, black olives and taco meat that is left over and heat it in a skillet. Then I beat several eggs and add cheddar cheese to them and pour over the veggies. Serve it with salsa, sour cream, refried beans and warm flour tortillas. It tastes wonderful!!

o

Mmm, that sounds delicious. And I agree about allowing people to put it together the way they want.
Nita, your recipe sounds really good too, I am going to try that next time we have tacos.

o

I know how yummy that is! I always save leftover taco fillings and toppings for omelets; we love them. It's a rare treat for weekend brunch. For the omelets, I'll add a dollop of Rotel (tomatoes and jalopenos), the seasoned burger mix, and cheese. On the side, we'll have fresh tomatoes, sour cream, and chopped green onions.

o

Everything sounds so good!!!

Tacos, taco salad, and now taco omelette! Yum.

o

I'm going to have to make a taco omelet! But I'll have it with black beans, pico de gallo, sour cream, cheddar, green onions and a big dollop of guacamole.

o

Eggs are to an omelet as bread is to a sandwich. It's what you add that makes the dish.

o

patti43, they just called it "taco meat". Presumably ground beef with a mild taco seasoning. It wasn't oversauced but had a good flavor. I'm guessing it was a "Mexican" mix on the cheese too. I opted out on the olives and would on the refried beans. Tortillas would be OK, but I do like my toast. I could also go for a Spanish rice with it too.

I wound up putting most of the salsa on the hash browns! They really went well together.

o

I LOVE salsa on hash browns!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here