Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A spell checker that also checks grammer

Posted by ravencajun (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 13:42

I saw this mentioned on Kim Komando and thought it looked interesting and helpful plus it is free which is always good. It works with lots of programs and does work with both IE And Firefox. It is called Ginger here is the link to the page of the FAQ so you can read about it. I just installed it so don't know much yet.

Ginger

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A spell checker that also checks grammer

Thanks! I've just downloaded it and will see hw it works. I intentionally mis-spelled 'how' and it didn't correct it - maybe I did something wrong. Have you used it Raven? If so, what is your suggestion to make it do what is was designed to do?

o

You will have to restart firefox for it to work, yes it does work it is not always exactly correct but what is lol.

I was waiting for someone to say something about the misspelled grammer in the title which I did on purpose of course lol I thought that was funny.

o

I have installed it on IE, and it works! I intentionally typed "she don't care", and it corrected that. I think one has to highlight what should be checked.

o

For mine I put the cursor right in front of the section of text I want it to check then hit the ginger button and the corrections show up at the top of my screen where I can either check to accept it or ignore.
In fact I just used it, I had started the previous sentence with a small f instead of a F it corrected it.
It does take some extra steps of course.

o

I noticed and laughed about "grammer" but didn't say anything because someone did that to me once, over the same word. I'm glad to know you did it on purpose. :)

I had made a post about bad grammar and was reprimanded for my spelling. It was a little funny at the time.

o

I do remember that! I have done it myself a few times. I know I am far from perfect LOL I can use all the help I can get.

o

I hope it is better than "correct as you type" in MS Word. It was about to drive me crazy. After Googling I found "correct as you type" in word and took every check mark out. It's not that my grammar was so bad, but it inserted lines if you use 2 or more dashes that you could not remove and I was trying to type a list and I used dashes to keep them in line. Grrr

o

As with the best of spell checkers, if the mispelled word happens to form a different, but real word, it will not be flagged. The grammar checker might flag such a word only if it violates a rule of grammar. The grammar checker can not flag a spurious word if the grammar is correct no matter how nonsensical the result.

The value of using both checkers in tandem is that many common mistypes and misspellings can be flagged, however, one must yet remain viligent. This automation has not progressed to the level of 100% accuracy.

o

I will add this to my list of things that I wish could be implanted in a person's body. Wouldn't it be refreshing to be able to listen to a supposedly educated young person talking and not have to wince at what they are saying? I do know we're all guilty of some form of bad grammar, some a lot more than others.

What I've also thought would be nice would be to have some Velcro implanted at strategic spots on your body. I could have used some to hold up my knee-highs when I was a kid, to hold up my strapless gown, to keep my bra straps from sliding off my shoulders. . .the uses would be endless.

o

Don't be to quick to judge a person for bad grammar, especially if the person is older like a lot of us. Finding words sometimes is very difficult as you age. My husband has AZ and he lost nouns so eventually he couldn't speak to others at all. Also people with dyslexia and other problems can't speak well. You have no idea how long it takes me to compose an email or a post in these forums, partly because of proof reading so I will not offend anyone and I don't have any of the above problems. I am just old as dirt. I have learned in forums that you can speak just a few words and you will be judged forever as one you don't want to be friendly with.

On a lighter note, I found when raising small children you lose some of your grammar skills. For instance one child used the word "gots" as in I gots lots of candy. Pretty soon all the parents were saying "gots". LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here