SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Tiny centipede; huge sting sore

caroline94535
9 years ago

It seems lately that every time I turn around something is happening to me - and none of it is good.

For the latest escapade I was stung by a centipede while working in the garden. I was pulling leaves away from a large cabbage when I felt something "poke" my ankle just under the sock cuff.

I absentmindedly reached down to run my finger around the cuff to clear it. I thought a sticker had gotten lodged in the sock. Then I got another sharp, stinging "poke."

I looked down and pulled the sock away from my ankle and there was a nasty little centipede, a very little one, but a centipede nonetheless.

The two sting marks got hard, an area about the size of a quarter swelled and turned red; I had more swelling spreading up the back of my leg.

The pain kept waking me up. I felt as though I had a low grade fever and felt nauseous.

I went in to the clinic after reading about centipede stings. He said the wound looked fine and asked if the pain was subsiding. This was five days later and the pain was lessening. He offered a topical steroid, which I declined.

The sting area is still red and hard, but it is smaller and is healing.

Okay, I got stung by a vicious, alien-appearing, nasty creature. And this followed an early Spring spider bite on my hand that took two months to heal. Do you think I could at the very least get Super Spidey powers and become a Super Hero?

No; I'm still just plain ole me.

Comments (3)