Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Could we revisit homemade vanilla?

Posted by jude31 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 12:56

I have the beans, and the bottles I ordered weeks ago finally came yesterday. Shipping was horrendous. Now if someone could guide me through the next part..... It's only a little over 3 months until you know what. I don't remember how long it has to steep? TIA

jude

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Could we revisit homemade vanilla?

After reading about it here, I went online and found many different instructions, with varying ratios of vanilla beans to alcohol. And some mentioned watering down the alcohol as well. Jude, I'm also making these for Christmas presents, so I wanted to start early. Most sites varied between 30 - 60 days to completion, but all stated "the longer, the better".

I ended up using 30 vanilla beans to a quart of vodka.

o

I put 15 good quality very fresh, split beans in a 750 ml. bottle of decent vodka. (you have to remove about 1/2-1 cup of the vodka so the beans will fit, don't overfill--if the vodka is up into the neck of the bottle, the bottle can explode). I try to let mine steep at least 3-4 months, but, in a pinch, after a month, you'll have something you can use if needed.

I'd suggest making the batch in the vodka bottle, then, when it's ready, you can rebottle into the gift bottles you purchased. That way you can carefully decant off just the clean vanilla, without all the bits, pieces and seeds that will be in it (I use it as is, but for a gift, you want it clear, I'm sure). Just 'snag' some of the beans with a long, clean crochet hook so you can add one to each gift bottle. If I'm not sure when my recipients will be using my vanilla, after bottling it, and screwing on the lids, I dip the top of the bottle into melted beeswax--seals it, smells good and looks very nice.

o

Thanks, guys. I'll try to get started this week. I'm trying to get a bead on gifts from the kitchen that I plan to make. The Spicy Wine Mustard I made last year was a hit and I plan to make some Smoky Chipotle Ketchup soon. Annie's Salsa is very popular too.

Azzalea, do you melt beeswax in a double boiler? I've never done that.

jude

o

Usually a 'homemade' double boiler. I put the beeswax in a very clean, very dry can (leftover from some food or other), and place that in a pan with hot water over very low heat until it's melted. That way, I don't have a waxy double boiler to clean when I'm done.

o

I thought that might be the case. Thanks a lot.

o

I thought that might be the case. Thanks a lot.

o

Sorry 'bout the double post.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here