Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good Afternoon!

Posted by Marilyn_Sue (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 12:09

I just came in from picking green beans. I have at least a five gallon bucket of them. I will start cleaning on them soon and start canning. I do want to keep some out to cook and eat though. I could have picked more, but I got tired! I did pick cucumbers and zucchini. The tomatoes are still waiting on me. It is rather warm out there, 81 right now. We are to get rain, maybe some storms later today. I hope no storms. What are you doing today and how is your weather?

Sue in Central Indiana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good Afternoon!

Our weather is great, nice and warm and sunny. (Canadian west coast) Just got home from the gym and have some errands to do - the library, grocery shopping and I may check out some new fall fashions at a local store as well.

o

It is another gorgeous day here today in my part of OH. We're to get what IL and IN are now later tonight, into tomorrow.

I had errands to run today. Then I headed out to see my special needs sister, Annie. After I'd waited for a while, I found out she was gadding about, went to a butterfly house. They should have been back by the time I got there. Maybe they decided to go out to eat afterwards. She's really enjoying all the bus trips the new activity director has lined up this summer. Normally her non medical trips have averaged a couple a year. This year, she's already been on about 15.

Now I'm home with the rest of the day to do what I want, if anything!! Can't beat that.

Shirley

o

Sue - I want to be on your best friends forever list! DH could live on green beans, taters and corn on the cob every night!
Gadgets, that is awesome that the new director is keeping everyone engaged in social activities.

o

I wish that too, Sue. I so remember my grandmother in Ohio in the 40's and 50's canning all veggies from the garden. Of course we learned to pick, clean and eat the fresh stuff, then headed back to SF by train or plane where we got store bought canned goods. I very fondly remember my Italian best friend who had such great salami's and other stuff hanging from their basement rafters. Talk about the best of two worlds.

My zucchini is 7 ft. tall and today we probably have leg-size monsters out there. Heading out soon. DH has been bringing in 'fallen' peaches that are to die for, so I need to do 'my magic' test to pick them before they fall. Just a week ago we were talking about removing that peach tree....today, no way; they are killer peaches.

o

I so envious of you Marilyn Sue, I just never had the knack or the willingness to can and freeze produce.

Today was hot and humid, but I was in the mood to edge the boxwood borders so knew I'd better get at it. Halfway through I decided I wanted to add a couple of stone pavers here and there; so naturally I had to change out of my sweaty work clothes, clean up and drive to the mulch place that sells manufactured stone that resembles real stone fairly well. Cheaper and easier to lift,too. Came home, changed into my work clothes again but the t-shirt was actually wet; so I had to put a different one.

I quit after doing only one border. Enough for me today. Right now we are under a severe thunderstorm warning, the wind is picking up, I managed to get both cats in the house, and now to hunker down.

o

We just had a thunderstorm go through with rain, HOORAY!!! Haven't done a lot today, watched a movie and worked on a jig saw puzzle and read a bit. I am reading Scoop from Fern Michaels Godmothers Series. I bought the last two in her series and am reading the first ones again so they will be fresh in my mind.

o

We just had a thunderstorm go through with rain, HOORAY!!! Haven't done a lot today, watched a movie and worked on a jig saw puzzle and read a bit. I am reading Scoop from Fern Michaels Godmothers Series. I bought the last two in her series and am reading the first ones again so they will be fresh in my mind.

o

Oops, sorry for the double post. I checked before I hit the second submit and my original did not show up.

o

I am hearing thunder right now. Looks fairly dark.

Sue in Central Indiana

o

Sue, I remember earlier this year, you were worried about your newly planted garden and your lack of rain.

From what you're saying now, your lovely garden is once again very productive and then there's you my friend. You are one busy lady! :)

o

Yes, our garden did lack rain so we had to water and water it. Now we have some rain. We got 2 and 7/10 yesterday and overnight. I have more things out there to pick, pluck and can! It is 62 out right now.

Sue in Central Indiana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here