SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enjoyingspring

Price of Food

enjoyingspring
9 years ago

Every week when I go grocery shopping the price of food is either going up or the packaging is getting smaller.

Pre-package hamburgs (4 to a package) $6.99, hotdogs $5.99 for 10. These items used to be on a poor families shopping list.

I wonder where it is going to end???

Comments (28)

• casey_nfld
    9 years ago

The price of food is outrageous!! I've noticed a big jump lately. I usually only buy food when it is on sale except if it's something I desperately need. We are not big eaters and we're not that picky so I can get away with doing that.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Like Casey, we only buy food on sale, and shop the fliers.

This week I noticed that pork loin roast was on sale for $4.99/lb.
    I've never paid that much for a pork roast.

Everything is expensive......even vegetables in season are expensive, IMO. Broccoli and green peppers are expensive. Cauliflower is cheap this week, $1/head. I bought a 10-lb of onions for $3, for many years it was $1.88 for 10 lb.

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Ssommerville Makes Sacrifices...

Q

Comments (24)
    Can't have Jessy getting to impatient,lol. I think Cathy missed your post. Anyways I went through my book, and I think this is the recipe she was referring too. Salt lovers canapes (from Orgasmic Appetizers) 2 small red peppers 1 small yellow pepper vegetable oil as needed Anchovy butter 1 tbsp sweet fennel seeds 1/2 c unsalted butter softened 6-9 flat anchovy fillets, patted dry and minced 1 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice fresh ground black pepper to taste 24 diagonal slices or rounds of whole wheat baguette, 1/4 inch thick Preheat oven 450F. Cut peppers in half and place on well oiled baking sheet. Coat the peppers with oil. Roast for 25-30 min until blackened. Place them in a paper bag and let stand for twenty minutes. Peel and seed them. Cut them lengthwise into 1/8" wide strips and set aside. Toast the fennel seeds in a dry skillet over med heat, shaking pan until fennel is golden, about 3-4 min. Transfer to a bowl and let cool. Grind the fennel seeds. Mix in the butter, anchovies, lemon juice and pepper. Combine the mixture well. Preheat the broiler. Broil the baguette slice until golden about 1 - 2 min, on a rimmed baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Turn slices over and spread generously with the anchovy butter. Broil until the butter is golden and bubbling, about 1 min. Transfer toasts to serving platter and top each toast with a strip each of red an dyellow peppers. Serve warm or at room temp. serves 4-6 makes 24 canapes. Shelley S.
    ...See More

Former Chinese drug regulator sentenced to death

Q

Comments (5)
    You CAN choose where your food comes from. Buy locally. It may take a bit more effort, and cost a tad bit more, but you can get a lot of your meat and veggies from local farmers and ranchers. In doing so, you can feel better about the safety of what you're eating and feeding to your pets, you can feel good about supporting local businesses and farmers, and you can enjoy much better tasting food. Sally Here is a link that might be useful: Sources for local foods
    ...See More

Best food vacuum system?

Q

Comments (5)
    Holly-Kay: I don't know anything about the one ATK recommends, so can't comment on that. However, if you put "food saver reviews" in the above search box, you can pull up some quite lengthy posts on this subject, most are from regulars on the cooking forum. There are also some sights that you can google to compare different brands.
    ...See More

Food grade mineral oil vs mineral oil intestinal lubricant

Q

Comments (4)
    Yes, I buy the mineral oil for my cutting board at the drug store. Cooking stores sure hike up the price. It's kind of like going to a marine/boat supply store and buying a screw. Lots more expensive than the same screw of the same metal at the hardware store. Too many middle men who each must have their cut is part of the problem.
    ...See More
  • lucillle
    9 years ago

My small backyard garden is coming in handy with fresh tomatoes and peppers and a few eggplants. I still have a bag of frozen blackberries left.
    Besides saving $, there is nothing quite like a bowl of sweet fresh picked cherry tomatoes.

• gadgets
    9 years ago

This a topic often talked about among my relatives and friends. Sometimes the price is increased as well as package decreased in size. It used to be prices were increased by a nickel or a dime, etc. Now it's by anywhere from a quarter to fifty cents. This is one example: Birdseye Asian blend was $2pkg, the very next week it was $2.50. If it were only one product, you can absorb that increase, but it's on many, many products. It's frustrating to have less foods going down that grocery belt, but the total is either the same or even more.

Shirley

• User
    9 years ago

Our store stocks bacon and wieners. The rep for Maple Leaf was in last April and told me that the size of bacon packs will go down from 500g to 375g, but the price would not increase. I told her, "excuse me, but when you take 30% of the bacon away and still charge me for 500g, you've increased the price by 30%!" She didn't get it. Then when the hotdogs came in 10 to a pack instead of 12, customers were yelling at us because all the packs were missing 2 weiners! Yet the packs of buns from the bakery still come in packs of 12. "What are we supposed to do with 2 extra buns?" Really? That's my problem? LOL

I buy my bacon at Costco. 4 packs for a decent price. Each one is 500g, and the slices are thicker and tastier.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Who would ever think we'd see more than $4 for a loaf of bread???

• ruthieg__tx
    9 years ago

My answer to that one is make your own bread, easiest thing in the world to make and cheap cheap cheap..You can still buy a loaf of french bread at walmart for $1

• Lindsey_CA
    9 years ago

"Pre-package hamburgs (4 to a package) $6.99, hotdogs $5.99 for 10. These items used to be on a poor families shopping list."

If a family truly has little money to spend on food, they are wasting their money buying pre-formed/pre-packaged hamburger patties. They are paying extra for the labor involved in forming those patties. They'd be much better off buying a one-pound package of ground beef and forming their own patties at home. They're not difficult to form.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Prices are up, but look for them sales. Hamburger $2.99/lb (=4 1/4 lb burgers), Wienies $1, Bread 75â, Pork Roast $2.89/lb, Milk $2.89/gal., Pasta .89â/box. Coupons might help. Cooking at home is still cheaper than eating out.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    9 years ago

Producing our food has become much more expensive because of the weather we have had. With the drought in the west and the late winter and flooding in the Midwest, food production has become more costly and so the customer is paying more. As Lindsey says, we also pay labor and facilities costs when we buy food that has been conveniently processed. A cut up chicken can cost more than one that is not. A package of all breasts costs more too. Shaped meat into patties or on skewers costs more.

Then you add in the cost of fuel for farmers, transporters and processors and it means higher prices at the grocery store as well.

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

I can't speak for Canada, where things have always seemed more expensive to me anyway, but in the US, food cost as a percentage of income has declined pretty steadily through the years. Try to Google it, you'll find the same information from multiple sources.

Food prices have gone up, yes, but income has gone up by significantly more. That may be no consolation as you leave the grocery store, because yes, prices are higher. But it's a smaller percentage of consumer spending than ever before. For all except for those in the low income strata, for whom the percentage has been unchanged.

I know it varies from place to place but in my area, incomes have been booming. That's driven up housing costs, automobile costs, and many other "necessities" for which most people spend a lot more than on food.

Here is a link that might be useful: Food costs decline

• kittiemom
    9 years ago

I shop at our farmer's market, at Costco/Sam's, and use the sales flyers to try to keep our food costs as low as possible. I also make as much as I can from scratch and try to avoid buying packaged/convenience foods.

• MiMi
    9 years ago

If you have a Dollar Tree near you they carry bread and it's all $1.00... for a loaf of bread, hot dog or hamburger buns, sandwich thins, English muffins and it's all fresh and dated ahead. I buy several and freeze them. They have several different brands also, Sunbeam, Nature's Own etc...

• Deeby
    9 years ago

I shudder to think what our California drought is going to do to produce prices. Our citrus, grapes, avocados... Come on rain and lots of it !

• Kathsgrdn
    9 years ago

With just me at home now my food costs have dropped. So much so that I didn't feel bad buying organic whole milk for $3.59 for a half gallon. I can't drink a whole gallon by myself and seems such a waste. This milk tastes wonderful too. Like milk used to taste. I guess it was off-set by my Kroger brand bread I usually buy, it was only $2.00 on sale. It's the Golden Flax and Grain bread, it's the only kind I buy anymore.

But, hamburger is so expensive. When we had no money, one meal I used to make a lot was hamburger, onions and potatoes. Filled you up, now it's so expensive. Even the onions and potatoes are outrageous and half rotten.

Oh, and thought the hamburger would be cheaper at Wal-Mart, it wasn't, took my chances and went to Kroger after not getting it at Wal-Mart and it was cheaper at Kroger, not much but a little bit. Over $5.00 a pound at Wal-Mart, $3.88 at Kroger.

Bought a whole chicken for .99 a pound too. Dirt cheap. The boneless skinless packages of chicken are too expensive and I really don't like the meat unless I'm making chicken soft tacos. Then I usually buy a already roasted chicken.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

There were little wee birds on sale for $2.49 lb and the whole chicken was $10. There were the smallest little things with no meat. I felt so sorry for them, they couldn't have been older than 8 weeks old.

It's outrageous that a chicken costs $10 with little meat, barely enough to feed 2 people, and the cost of roasting it. No wonder the rotisserie cheater-chickens are so popular.

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

Cooking for one isn't always inspiring and my biggest self-imposed crusade is not to waste anything. Buy things to use up or complement what I have on hand. Though I don't have to be particularly attentive to prices, I do tend to notice the upward creep on items I normally buy and enjoy a bargain. The paper today has a coupon for a pound of bacon for $1.99. Ground beef is getting pretty dear and I'll buy it only when I'm making a big pot of chili, which I never tire of as leftovers.

Grapes of all types are $1.88 a pound. Honeycrisp apples are 50 cents a pound off. And I've been surfing the deli a bit more lately - if I'm in the mood for chicken, I'll get a couple of thighs and maybe some cole slaw or a prepared salad that looks interesting... this week it's 7-layer salad on special.

I do like Walmart's $1.00 French bread with sesame seeds; makes great toast or sandwiches.

• kitykat
    9 years ago

Re: farmers markets. Around here, there is absolutely NO price competition between venders at the local Farmers Markets. In fact, most of the grocery stores also advertise and sell local produce... even naming the farming family and location. Guess what? Prices are usually far, far less than at the farmers market.

I don't know about most people, but I am all about saving MY $$$. .99/lb tomatoes is better than 2.50-3.00/lb. Cantaloupe for 1.25 or less each is better than 3.00-4.00. Zucchini at market is 2.00/lb and .99 at the grocer. And so on across the board for seasonal products. Supporting small venders is fine, chatting with the farmers is pleasant, but I have found no difference in quality for my money. Grocers are also having local/organic available.

I wonder where is the benefit?

• nicole__
    9 years ago

I've been loading up on the Safeway Just For U promotions, They've been giving us $5 off a $30 purchase, so I loaded up on Pork shoulder roast and chops $1.99lb. So far I haven't paid over $3lb for hamburger, .99cents a lb for whole chickens. They had heads of iceberg lettuce for .79cents ea. for most of the Summer.

I'm not that upset about food prices...

• User
    9 years ago

Learning to cook for one after losing my husband last spring has been a real challenge for me. I've been trying to use up food from the freezer but it is in amounts too big for just me.
    Also, since I no longer drive, I have to rely on giving lists to my daughter or ordering on line. Our van goes to the grocery twice a week but time for shopping is quite limited. I am constantly surprised at the high prices! Besides, I have been dealing with bursitis in my hip so can't carry much.

i've tried many of the frozen meals and can't say I like them. Seems most are pasta and/or chicken. Also, I hate the waste in packaging.

Once this painful hip is better I will try cooking and freezing things I like.

We do have 10 meals a month included in our rent but they have developed a sameness I don't care for. It seems that I still waste way too much.

The increasing prices astonish and annoy me

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Kittykat, you are singing my song. Everybody preaches "buy local". We go to the market, and seldom buy anything. The last time we went, cauliflower was $3/head. A tiny little basket of new potatoes were $2.
    Watermelon was $4. AND we could buy bananas and mangoes. Uhhhh, we don't grow mangoes and bananas in Ontario!!

We promptly left the market and went to our local grocery store and bought cauliflower for $1.50, a 10 LB bag of potatoes for $3, and a watermelon for $2.97. All grown in Ontario. Bananas are 57cents/lb. (no they aren't grown local, LOL)

Another beef has been Ontario garlic. Garlic is easy to grow yet none of the stores carry local garlic. The farmers market does at $3/head.
    Even though the stores only carry Chinese garlic, and I don't like buying chinese garlic, I can buy a sleeve of 5 heads for 49 cents on sale.

When the money is coming out of my pocket, I like value. I will support the local economy where it's warranted, but I will not pay a premium.

• kitykat
    9 years ago

Here is another pricing issue:
    In the past (younger and larger garden area), I have grown many veggies. How can the stores change more for red/yellow/orange bell peppers, than for green? It takes the identical growing conditions and care to grow any peppers! Yet, charging more than twice the price.

Another problem: We have a large regional grocery warehouse (a co-op) that supplies several different store formats for independent member grocers, maybe 800 stores in 10 states. The supplier does over 7B in annual sales! An owner may have different stores operating under different names... BUT all merchandise comes from the same warehouse. The price of items at one store is totally different than another... owned by the same family, perhaps a mile away.

Go figure...

• marie_ndcal
    9 years ago

Even thou I am assisted living with meals, I still fix some for me when I don't like the selection. Yes prices have gone up and package sizes down. Margarine almost 5.00 for little milk and chemicals, and this year have been disappointed in the Farmer's Markets. Our problem is still related to the oil boom big wages, high rentals and food prices have really jumped. It does hit the middle and low income area. Our food banks have increased due to people coming here for jobs and lack of housing. I try to buy ND brand products --as they seem to be a little cheaper. Do have to watch out for the $$ stores and where the products come from.

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

kitykat, by your reasoning, all beef cuts should have the same price per pound because at some point you could say it all comes from the same animal from the same ranch. It's of course not how it works.

Grocery stores operate with very low profit margins. I'm sure that distributor charges different prices to its customers (by offering volume discounts to the larger operators) and then each store in turn prices products based on what it thinks customers will pay. If prices are set too high, customers go elsewhere.

There aren't many independent grocers left in my (suburban) area and I don't miss them. They weren't able to compete with the larger guys, who mostly offer newer and cleaner stores, better selection, and better prices .

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

wow. I realize Oscar Mayer may not be the preferred brand, but neither is it the cheap facsimilie here... but $1.99 for an ten dog package. Wonder why so different a price? And buns? Typically $1. So still a budget meal. If you have nothing else with it ;)

• Kathsgrdn
    9 years ago

bacon here is $5.00 and up a pound. Crazy. Good thing I rarely eat it anymore. Last time I had a craving for it, it was on sale at Kroger for under $3.00, by the time I got to the store every last one was gone. ) :

• linda_6
    9 years ago

I paid $14 for a bushel of Cubanelle peppers. My DH and I go every year to a farm and pick our own. We wait until they turn red, because that's the way we like them. I slice them up and freeze them. I grow one cherry tomato and one regular tomato plant for ourselves. When the cherry one's are red I pop them in a bag and in the freezer. They're great for my breakfast fratatta. My breakfast fratatta consist of sausage, peppers, broccoli, and asparagas and cherry tomatoes, sauted in a pan with a little olive oil. After it's done, I add a slice of provolone cheese.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    9 years ago

I know why red peppers cost more. First, they have to ripen and thus they are watered for a longer time period than the green ones. But they also mold faster, and so the grocer must cull the bad ones regularly, and that adds to the cost of selling them.