Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want a new recipe? How about Possum and sweet taters?

Posted by pump_toad (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 11:22

I was looking through a old 1914 cookbook and found this recipe so here goes-
Pour a large kettle full of hot water in a convenient vessel and add a small shovel of ashes and then put the possum in. Turn the possum around until the skin is loosened and you will have no trouble in skinning him perfectly clean. Remove head, feet and entrails, wash in cold water,salt the outside and let hang overnight. In the morning wash again and put in a baking pan with a little water. Cover and put over the fire. When tender remove the lid and put the possum in the oven to brown. Dust with black pepper and baste with lard.While that is cooking peel and slice potatoes and cook in a skillet over the fire with salt,pepper and a little lard . Cover and steam till tender. By that time the possum will be nice and brown.Turn the potatoes over him, return to the oven and when brown put possum on a platter, arrange the potoes over him and serve.

And we think cooking is a lot of work !!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want a new recipe? How about Possum and sweet taters?

That's a good one, but I think I'll pass. LOL Love the detailed instructions.

Shirley

o

Lol! My dad has always jokes about eating possum. I heard my kids talking to each other one day and one said "Well Mommy grew up with Grandpa so she's eaten it." Nope can't say I have. I have had several sightings lately. I'll have to keep this recipe in mind.

o

I know my mother said they ate possums during the depression.
I guess when you are hungry enough, you will eat anything.
As for myself, until I get really, really hungry and desperate, I will eat beef, pork, chicken and once in awhile turkey. Add fish to that and other seafood, but no possum, no raccoon, no squirrels, no rats, no snakes, no armadillos, etc.

o

One of my cookbooks has a recipe for bear.

o

My mother said when they were going to eat a possum, they would pen it up and feed it bread and milk for a few days. I think because possums eat carrion. I guess they thought the milk and bread would "neutralize" that. :))

o

My MIL told us that she had eaten possum. She also said they ate turtles, which she called "turkles."

I hope I never get that hungry!

Sue

o

When I lived in Texas a bunch of the guys were sitting around having lunch on the job one day and we got to talking about eating wild game. One of the guys mentioned possum and probably half of us had eaten it, then one of the guys says..."Do you know why God invented Armadillos?"
I said,,"ok, I'll bite, why did God invent Armadillos"

He said, "So the Mexicans can eat possum on the half shell."

o

I think I'll pass, but a lady in the USA once sent me a recipe for squirrel stew. I havent managed to catch one yet! lol

Karen
UK

o

I have an "All Maine Cookbook" that I bought in 1970. It has recipes for the preparation of game.

o

Linda

I can go you one better than that,,,

I have an official U.S. Air Force survival manual,,,and it says "anything that walks, swims, flies or crawls can be eaten".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here