SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzieque_gw

Mice - Where Do They Die?

suzieque
9 years ago

Hi - I've got a very old house; stone foundation with some gaps - I get that. But over the past month, for the first time, I've seen evidence of mice in my cabinets. I've been aware that they are sometimes in the cellar (my cats'll sometimes bring them to me as a gift!!!). But never before have they invaded my space.

I've tried the "repellants" - putting out little packets of minty smelling stuff that's supposed to keep them away. It's been mildly effective until today. This morning I opened a cabinet and found that the mice had broken open a packet and strewn it about! Sawdust-type filling. So clearly, it's not working.

I've thrown out so much food and, despite not wanting to kill the little guys, I guess I've got to take other action (D-Con poison, for example). My concern is two-fold. First, where do they go to die? Will they just go to their nest if it's in my cellar, and die there, and smell, and rot, and .....?

Second, I know that D-Con will kill anything - even my pets if they get into it. Believe me, they won't. But what if a mouse dies in the cellar and one of the cats decides to investigate (and, who knows - maybe taste it?)? Will a dead (or dying) mouse that's been poisoned be harmful to my cat?

I'm guessing the answers to both questions are not what I want to hear. Do you have any other suggestions? BTW, I know I should seal all openings into the cellar, but this house is 200 years old - nearly impossible.

Thanks -

Suzieque

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022