SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacey_mb

Book of the Week

stacey_mb
9 years ago

The hiding place / Corrie ten Boom ; with Elizabeth & John Sherrill.

I avoid subject material that is distressing, and the Nazis and World War II are among the most harrowing topics that exist. But although this nonfiction book takes place during those events, it focuses on the positive and hopeful. In addition, the author describes difficult circumstances but does not magnify or enlarge details of atrocities. For me, it made the book possible to read and find out more about events and peoples' actions during this time. Other readers have commented that it is unrealistic that there is minimal to no suggestion of disagreement or discord within the ten Boom family as they made controversial, politically dangerous, decisions but each reader must imagine for themselves how tumultuous life became for the family.

Corrie ten Boom lived together with extended family in Haarlem, the Netherlands, in the house where she and her father worked in their watch shop. She and her family were devout members of the Dutch Reformed Church, and this spirituality plays a central role in their lives and in the book. The book opens in 1937, the 100th anniversary of the shop, and there are already rumblings of anti-Semitism which made the family fear for their Jewish friends and colleagues. But one of the guests at their celebration claims, "Young hooligans! It's the same in every country. The police'll catch up with 'em - you'll see. Germany's a civilized country!"

The strong Christian beliefs of the ten Booms were an integral reason for the actions that they took in saving their own countrymen, including Jews, during a tragic time in history. Although I'm not particularly religious, I found that I was completely absorbed by this book and loved it. I felt that it was not a good book, but one of the great books ever written and considered it a privilege to be reading it.

The author describes how in 1940, Holland fell to the Germans and fear and privations of life under occupation began. First, the Nazis forbade the singing of the Dutch national anthem, then they conscripted Dutch males to work in their factories. The ten Booms had to hide family members and then, at great risk to themselves, began to hide Jewish people and their property from being taken by the Nazis. They became an underground station in helping Jews escape, working in the Dutch underground and developing counterfeit ration cards and many systems for communicating among each other. Members of the Underground built an extra room upstairs in the ten Boom home that was completely disguised and hidden where Jews could safely hide.

But in 1944, the Gestapo found evidence that Jews were being helped and the family was punished. The whole family was arrested and at the age of 52, ten Boom along with her sister Betsie was deported to the Nazi death camp Ravensbruck. She and her sister relied heavily on their devout faith to help endure their circumstances. It was only due to a clerical error made by the Nazis that Corrie survived, although her family perished.

Corrie, her sister Betsie, and her father Casper were named to the Righteous Among the Nations, gentiles who have been recognized by the Holocaust Museum in Jerusalem for their heroism in saving Jewish lives during World War II.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!