SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

I tried a new (and horrible) tea.

alisande
9 years ago

It's called Salted Caramel Mate, and it's by Stash, a brand I've liked in the past. Mate (pronounced matay) is a traditional South American beverage. I wasn't sure how I felt about the idea of salted tea, but I've enjoyed salted chocolate, and recently had a salted caramel/chocolate protein bar. Plus I've never been disappointed with Stash products. So I bought a box.

I opened up an individually-packaged tea bag, sniffed it, and thought, bonito. It smelled like the kind of dried fish that's often used in Asian cooking. Then I made a cup of the tea, took one sip, and poured it down the drain. Yup, it tasted like dried, salted fish. I threw out the box.

Later I checked online reviews. Not everyone liked it, but no one mentioned fish. A few raved about the wonderful, dessert-like flavor. I don't know if I have unusual taste buds or if I got a bad box.

While looking for reviews I noticed a couple of other salted caramel products, including a coffee. Sounds like it's a currently "trending" flavor.

Comments (21)