SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flamingo_in_ar

The perfect guest room has....

FlamingO in AR
9 years ago

OK, I know we've done this before but I've recently starting revamping the guest room and want it as comfy as possible.

In your opinion, what makes a guest room perfect for you?

Ours is on the upstairs floor, with a bathroom. Both sides of the upstairs have slanty walls, so decorations on the walls are limited. The guest room is at the far end, you walk thru a hall from the craft room, past the bathroom to the guest room, the only door up there is to the bathroom. So when we have company, we stay downstairs unless it's a GF, then sometimes I go up after announcing I'm coming up.

In the guest room, we have the usual stuff, bed, night stands, lamps, window with pull up blinds for light control, privacy is a given up there since we don't have neighbors, just trees. Books, mirrors, low table at the foot of the bed, a few decorations, new bedding.

What we don't have- no rugs of any kind, just hardwood floors. No fabric at the windows. No headboard.

I'm wondering if I should put some light drapey things on the big window near the bed where the end wall is (it goes all the way to the ceiling, unlike the side walls) and some small rugs on each side of the bed for comfy toes. Also, new paint once I have time. And maybe mount a headboard to the wall, or paint something there to give the illusion of a headboard.

What else would you like in a guest room? This is a terrible photo but the best I can do right now as I'm getting ready for a yard sale and this room is holding a ton of stuff right now.

Comments (34)

• Georgysmom
    9 years ago

In the guest bath, beside the usual soap, shampoo and conditioner and back scrubby, I always make sure I have a new toothbrush in its original packaging (I pick them up at the dollar store in case someone forgot to pack their own) and toothpaste, aspirin and bandaids, cotton balls and q-tips and extra rolls of T.P., hair blower and make-up mirror. I have a little stand in the bathroom for extra towels and a basket full of shampoos and lotions that I pick up when staying at a hotel. Some magazines, books and tissues in the bedroomâ¦extra pillows and blanket and plenty of hangars. I also keep a small pewter frame on the night stand and will put in a picture of the person visiting.

Some people say you should spend a night or two in the guest bedroom to see if there is anything you need.

• party_music50
    9 years ago

I stay at my sister's house occasionally, and these are the things that are important to me:

- a way to control the light-level coming through the windows and privacy (curtains or blinds)

- easily accessible lighting (if you don't know the room, it's hard to fumble in the dark if you're searching for a lamp or light switch!)

- extra table/dresser/chairs or any place to put your luggage, lay out things you need to use frequently, etc.

- extra blankets! (I have Reynaud's and being cold means misery for me! Your barewood floor would probably cause me problems too.) Most other people would probably say air conditioning or fans. :)

- QUIET! (examples from my experiences: avoid putting a fishtank in the room with buzzing motors! and tell your teenage son whose room is above the guest room to NOT be stomping around playing games at 3am, etc. :p)

• Related Discussions

Feedback needed on new bed for guest room/DS's room

Q

Comments (35)
    With weighing everyone's input, I'm now thinking maybe I should just go ahead with a room update that would satisfy both his needs for part time use of the room over the college years plus my need for a guest room. Another factor driving the update sooner rather than later, is I know we will have several guests coming in May, both for DS's graduation and my DH's 50th birthday and the closer it gets to May, the busier I will get with party planning. There will be an opportunity in February to paint while he is away for 3-days at a tournament, then when he returns it is winter break so he would have some time to help me put his room back together and be part of the changes. That way, he will be included in the plans. He is away right now until Friday at a retreat so I haven't had a chance yet to run my ideas by him, but I will when he gets back. Main issue with the mahogany bed is it doesn't really go well with his existing furniture so I've been thinking about what I can/should add to make it look more cohesive without breaking the bank. Once he is out of school I don't think he will need such a large desk and hutch plus I do own another very similar one in DD1's room and DD2 has a smaller vintage kneehole desk which I really like as it has great storage space without a lot of room. Offhand, I have a single mahogany nightstand which I can replace his with: I'm now thinking perhaps I should just replace his desk/hutch will a smaller vintage kneehole type one so that he would have a place to work on his laptop when he is staying with us. When searching for DD2 last year I found a lot and here is one listed on CL for only $50: What do you think? While these pieces may not be his first choice for his room, I feel it would allow for more growth during the transition of this room into serving dual functions over the next several years. Long term, my mom has promised to give me my grandmother's mahogany secretary and I can see that working well at some future point when DS no longer lives with us and most likely would replace the desk. As for paint, I was thinking a soft grey or pale blue. He is very fond of blue, but I find these walls too dark. I can get him a blue comforter and keep the present rug for now; then get another set of bedding to use when guests visit.
    ...See More

Room-a-day Thursday is Guest room or Childs room

Q

Comments (13)
    This will be my sewing room once we're finished with the trim and get everything unpacked. When I have guests that don't want to sleep in the spare room in the basement, we'll move the twin bed into here. This is how it will be furnished when in "company mode." This photo was taken on base. I used the same paint color in the new sewing room. The linens and lamp can still be used. And this will be the welcoming committee. If you don't shut the door tightly, he'll also be your sleeping partner.
    ...See More

Next project: guest room, formerly DS room

Q

Comments (74)
    True! I have goofy “decorative items” in pretty much every room, so I probably need him. Speaking of stuffed animals, my DS was obsessed with Richard Scarry books and characters when he was little. Until last week, his stuffed animal characters were still on the bookcase. I finally took them down and was ready to toss them in the Junk pile, but then I stupidly got teary. Had to stash them on the closet shelf instead. DS still keeps clothes in the closet for when he comes home to visit, so he will see the animals looking down from the shelf when he opens the closet. I’m such a sappy mom these days. ETA omg he’s out of stock!! Sad. Again.
    ...See More

guest room aka the giant world map room -how to work with it??

Q

Comments (72)
    Btydrvn -these were a couple room inspiration photos that I found labelled as farmhouse- I don’t want a room with an identity crisis 🥴😂 what should I be calling this look or what style should I be aiming for so I’m minimizing the current crisis. I love the chandelier, wall color and bedding and am trying to make the bed frame work by painting it as it’s a spare that we already had and mom guilt prevents me from buying new. Bench was second hand etc.
    ...See More
  • maxmom96
    9 years ago

Your room looks lovely as it is, but since you asked. . . I would appreciate a small (non-ticking) clock, a box of tissues on the nightstand, as party suggested, and if room allows, a luggage stand that would allow easy access to an open suitcase. If you consider putting a rug down, make sure it is non skid. (For klutzy people such as I who would surely throw myself out of bed, feet on the rug, and go sliding across the floor.) Speaking of which, do you have a non-skid mat for the shower or tub? I also make sure there is one mirror in the bathroom that is a magnifier, as some folks need this when they take off their glasses put on makeup.

I think I see what may be coasters on the tables. Be sure there are good ones available for those who take a drink to bed with them, so that your beautiful side tables are not marred.

Then call me. . . I'd be glad to stay in your lovely room.

• Granlan_TX
    9 years ago

It's a lovely room and the private location with a tree view sounds perfect. With the bed against the wall, I don't think a head board is necessary because the pillows won't fall off the bed and the guest can sit up leaning against the pillows and wall.

Very simple things for me...never enough tissues/Kleenex, waste basket in the bedroom, a container for water, and I like to sleep to the sound of a fan. Most ceiling fans don't make enough sound for me.

A place to sit either in the bedroom or bathroom and a magnified mirror for applying makeup.

All of a sudden, I think I'm a lot of trouble as a guest. LOL

• chisue
    9 years ago

Think about what's in a hotel suite. I'll add to the prior lists:

Full length mirror in the bedroom.

Night light in the hallway/bathroom. Grab bars.

Bench to hold bedspread at night.

Desk, lamp, and a chair.

A headboard to support a reader.

Luggage rack or short chest of drawers with space for a suitcase on top. A guest can live out of a suitcase for a short stay.

Some hangers with clips. Hooks in the closet and on the back of the bathroom door.

Small radio or i-phone station.

Alarm clock.

Can the guest manage air flow through the room? Does the window open? Can the guest open a window at the opposite end of the house? (Maybe you're in a hot climate and don't open windows.) Do the blinds make the room dark enough for a daytime nap?

A piece of bound carpeting or non-slip rugs. Maybe spa type slippers or slipper socks if the bare floor is cold.

Are your stairs well lighted, with handrails? Is there a door at the top of the stairs?

Georgysmom -- What a nice idea to welcome a guest with his or her picture!

• FlamingO in AR
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All good suggestions! The bathroom is fully loaded with essentials and extras, from towels to mats to scrubbies and bottled items and sample size things that a guest might need. I think that room is covered. There's even a small table so a guest can lay out her makeup etc and a dresser outside the door with more towels and paper products.

I need a wastebasket in the guest room, and some tissues! I will make new coasters for that room, too. There's a wall switch for the ceiling fan and overhead light, easily accessible. A new clock with big numbers is already on my list, it has to be electric/digital because I can't stand to even hear the ticking of a battery operated clock, those drive me nuts. I require absolute silence to sleep. There's room in the closet and hangers. There's a small chair in there and a place for luggage at the foot of the bed and reading material in both rooms already. Non-slip rugs are a great suggestion for next to the bed!

I could supply another fan if needed, but most people who stayed over suggested we install a ceiling fan, because it wasn't always there, but now it is and it was no easy job, either, it required removing the attic fan and crawling the whole length of the house thru insulation, ugh! Woody was NOT happy! LOL

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm adding to my list like crazy!

This post was edited by FlamingO_in_AR on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 11:06

• nicole__
    9 years ago

I had my brothers family over....never occurred to me that since their disabled child wore diapers that they would dispose of them in my wicker waste basket and the liner got thrown away the first day(they never said anything). Yuck! So I replaced the waste basket with a ceramic one...liner or not a wet kleenex or diaper will never be sitting in wicker for me to find after they leave.

:0) Just a thought...

• FlamingO in AR
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops, typed over chisue- more good ideas, but I lot I already have covered....

The room has a triple mirror dressing table unit, full length. There's a bench/table at the foot of the bed for sitting/luggage/quilt. More small tables around the room. There's a chair but no desk. Desks are in the craft room, also part of the 3rd floor. Postcards and stamps are on the dressing table, along with the local shopping/tourism guide.

The area is heated and cooled and very adjustable. There's an escape ladder under the bed, near the window. Both windows can be opened.

There is a wall switch for the stairwell light (which lights nearly the whole upper level) and the door is at the bottom, closing off the upper level. Of course we have handrails. There is one grab bar inside the bathtub.

If I get a headboard, it will be very simple, not take up a lot of room. You'll have to put your book or reader on a nightstand, I'm afraid. :) I have radios and a CD player upstairs that can be brought into the room if needed. You'll need to provide your own charging stations, since I'm sure whatever I had wouldn't fit your electronics. I'm always 2 or 3 years behind, electronically. Ha! There is not, and never will be, a TV in the guest room, too bad. LOL We're on satellite and I don't want to run more cables in the attics, the whole length of the house. Plus, this room is over our bedroom, so we don't want to hear anyone else's insomnia. :)

How many pillows are enough? I have 4 useable ones on the bed. Shouldn't that be enough? Most of our guests usually bring their own, too, but they are almost always in their own cars. I have extra quilts.

What else haven't we covered?

• FlamingO in AR
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, Nicole..... EW! How inconsiderate. I guess we could start a whole 'nother post, nightmare guests!

Good point about the material making up the basket!

• grandmamary_ga
    9 years ago

Looks pretty comfortable to me. My first thought was a clock but I see that has been mentioned or a radio or maybe a small tv. some people like to watch a little tv. Maybe a note pad,pen or pencil or some stationary.
    Mary

• YogaLady1948
    9 years ago

I would put in a combo clock and CD player, also a comfy chair I love to read and have a bit of quiet recharge time. it really does seem like you have it all covered ~~

• chisue
    9 years ago

Sounds good to me. I was concerned that someone could seek the bathroom in the night and fall down the stairs. I suppose a night light would serve.

I'd really like an upholstered headboard or *something* so that I'm not leaning up against a cold wall.

I hadn't thought about the desk until my cousin was here, and I saw him seated on one twin bed with his computer on the opposite one -- because there is no desk.

IMO TWO pillows are enough for one person -- maybe a choice of feather/down and foam?

It is nice for host and guest to have a room a guest can 'retreat' to, not just at night.

Don't make it TOO nice. They'll never leave!

• FlamingO in AR
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The bathroom is right next to the guest room, you have to keep walking past the bathroom, all the way to the far end of the upstairs to get to the stairs and there are nightlights all along the way.

A combo CD player/radio/clock is a great idea!

I do have 2 types of pillows on bed, so there is a choice.

This has been fun! Thanks for all the advice and making me think harder!

• socks
    9 years ago

Did anyone mention easy access to a plug for phone charging?

Are you taking reservations, Flamey?

• mimi_boo
    9 years ago

The only thing I would add is IF you have a television (or radio) in your guest room, that you leave a list of stations. It can be quite confusing to fumble around for the best station that suits you when you'd like soft music to go to sleep to.

• Alice_sj
    9 years ago

I'm uncomfortable when there is no headboard. I sleep half propped up, and my head would touch the wall otherwise. I also like to have curtains that can be closed. Just makes me feel more secure and darkens the room. Maybe I'm a weirdo. Wait, no, I am a weirdo. :) It looks like a very lovely, and comfortable room! And, I'd be honored to stay at your home anytime, if you'd have me. My best friend lives with several female relatives, and they are hoarders. I couldn't sleep for fear of a fire and not being able to get out.

• User
    9 years ago

Sounds like a wonderful room!

Some night lights bother me so a flashlight would be handy.

• rosepetal2
    9 years ago

my only addition would be the password to use wifi if you have it, I have an I-pad (no smart phone) and would like access to the internet to check e-mails etc at bedtime. Also as someone mentioned an easy access plug or plug strip to recharge near the night stand.

• FlamingO in AR
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are plugs for charging. No wifi out here in the woods, sorry, but guests can use our computer to check emails if they need to. We don't have unlimited internet, so no streaming or videos.

I have flashlights upstairs, in fact I used one yesterday to see what was under the sink up there. Yep, the wallpapering tools are still there. LOL

Radio station list, good idea!

• joan_mn
    9 years ago

Looks perfect as is, to me. If I am a guest, I'm not paying, it's not a hotel room. As long as I can charge my phone, I'd be a happy camper (or guest).

• hounds_x_two
    9 years ago

some essential, some just fun...tissue, waste basket, alarm clock, luggage rack, bedside lamp, extra blanket, hangers, window covering for light control, fresh flowers (if guest is not allergic), offer of water/beverage before turning in, a tiny chocolate, a current magazine.

• ruthieg__tx
    9 years ago

Your room is very pretty and looks comfortable...
    I didn't have time to read everyone's suggestion but the one thing I would add is ...Please no scents...I know people want to add candles and all those sweet smelling things but so many people are like me and spend a miserable night when we have to deal with that smelly stuff...even sheets and pillow cases that have been washed in highly scented stuff just make for a horrible night...other than that. I can take most anything else..

This post was edited by ruthieg__tx on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 13:05

• susanjf_gw
    9 years ago

we have to share the bathrooms in our house (always includes grands and 2 dogs) so until the kids were older, that included kid combo shampoo, lotion and for the grand-dogs, water and food dishes. (i also have an extra leash) but we also have a tv just so everyone can unwind, or check the local weather for travel plans...

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

Your room looks just lovely and comfortable.

The last two times that we stayed as guests, either the AC was off or turned up too high to sleep. We are in Texas and it's hot from April through October. We even keep the AC at home turned up to 78 to 80, so we are not super sensitive to warmth but were sweltering all night. Miserable.

I'd rather go to a hotel :-)

• FlamingO in AR
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's a good point about fabric softener, candles, etc. I'm guilty of the first, I'll have to wash those sheets and leave off the fabric softener, maybe I'll just use a little vinegar to soften. All the candles are jars with lids, so that's not going to be an issue and I don't use plug ins. My MIL's house always had about 20 room deodorizers going at the same time and it was awful.

Thanks for all the nice compliments on the room, you are giving me a lot of credit from that one lousy photo! I'll be sure to get one once the room is back to normal and finished up. I have a little shopping to do, first, that'll be fun!

No, sorry, not taking reservations at this time, LOL! And sometimes a motel/hotel is much preferred for various reasons, so I don't take it personally if a friend insists on staying elsewhere. I LIKE when they stay here, it's more time together, but if they're not going to be 100% comfy, they should stay somewhere where they will be. :)

Thanks again!

• mare_wbpa
    9 years ago

If someone is good enough to put me up for a nite or so, I'd be happy for a bed or air mattress, a clean towel and a clean indoor bathroom. All the other amenities are nice, but not necessary. Most important of all is to have the host/hostess make me welcome.

• liz
    9 years ago

I'm with Mare...if someone is putting me up for a night...what you have is perfect...but then again...I'm pretty self sufficient...I think the room is perfect!! I keep old people magazines and some crossword puzzles in my guest room just in case someone is bored and can't sleep!

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

The one important thing I see and it was mentioned is you really need an alarm clock. Often times people are getting up early to catch a flight. One thing I always seem to forget when traveling and I always seem to need is a shower cap. Those throw away ones you can buy a large package for a $1 at Dollar Tree are perfectly fine. If it were me, I would use the same one the entire stay. Enough covers so they aren't cold is a must. Pillows that are comfortable. Another thing that always bugs me is having to go to the person whose house I'm staying at and ask them for toilet paper and towels and wash cloths. But mostly the TP always seems to be missing! OH OH and room spray for after you go to the bathroom if you know what I mean, some Febreze!

• FlamingO in AR
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had a small battery operated alarm clock in there and have decided to sell that at the yard sale and get a bigger, electric one. One that's easier to see and will play music. :)

Just outside the bathroom, in the hall, is a series of dressers that I use for fabric/sewing/pattern storage. The one opposite the bathroom door has 2 bottom drawers dedicated to bathroom supplies- soap, toilet paper, tissues, extra towels. I always point that out to guests. There are lamps on the dressers, too, so they can see what they're looking for. And there's nice space for them to spread out their makeup and stuff, if the space in the bathroom isn't enough. Inside the bathroom, sample size items and I agree, a shower cap is a must, I love those too! There are at least 2 deodorizer sprays in there. And matches. LOL

We hardly ever get company, it's quite rare, so when we do, I go all out cleaning the upstairs and making it welcoming, as best as I knew how. (I now know better, yay!) One time, though, I heard Woody taking a couple up to their room (old friends of his that I'd never met before) and I heard the man say, as they passed thru the sewing room where I worked all day, every day, "What a mess!" and I heard his wife shush him. Now, there was a lot of stuff up there, but it was TIDY stuff and I had just cleaned my brains out up there, when I should have been working, and that did not endear him to me, not one bit. And it really affected me from then on, now when company is coming, I put all my stuff out of sight, as much as I can, because sound carries in this house and I don't want to hear that again, but then MY friends aren't that rude. :) Woody was really sorry I heard him say that, he knew I'd worked hard to make it as nice as possible.

And as an aside, that might have been the visit where I pitted the cherries for the fruit salad with my teeth. LOLOLOL

And for all you non-picky people, I think anyone would be happy to put you up! And I'm so grateful for ALL the suggestions and advice, I asked for it and you provided it, thanks sooooo much!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Without rereading these great contributions, I'm going to suggest a small nightlight or two for your guest to use if they wish. I use one in my own bathroom so that I don't have to turn the lights on in the middle of the night. Nothing bright but just enough to cast a gentle glow.

I always travel with one, too. An unfamiliar room can be difficult to navigate at night.

• FlamingO in AR
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rhizo, there's a nightlight in the bathroom (and also 2 in the craft room further down) and also a small lamp in an alcove in the bath with a chandelier bulb in it, I usually leave that on so guests can find their way to the bathroom without using a brighter light, but they can turn it off if they want. :)

• Granlan_TX
    9 years ago

Flamey, I bet your entire house is charming. You have an artistic and creative eye in all things as far as I can tell.

Would love to see a picture of the triple mirror dressing table and I wish I had one.

We are looking forward to seeing your after pics.

• Kathsgrdn
    9 years ago

Cute room! I just spent a few nights at an old friends' house. In her husband's office on an old twin bed. They kept complaining that it wasn't comfortable enough but it was fine. I slept with the door open because I was afraid I'd fall and trip in the night, in a strange place, going to the bathroom. But, I didn't expect them to make it perfect for me. I didn't expect them to provide me with anything other than someplace to sleep. I kind of invited myself, to cheer my friend up and help her out while her husband was working out of town.

• chisue
    9 years ago

You probably already do this, but it's nice for a guest to be told when to show up for any meals...including a suggestion to 'start without you' if he or she wakes early. (Are there "Refrigerator Hours"?)