Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting rid of tickle in throat

Posted by okwriter (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 9, 08 at 7:56

Do you sometimes get an annoying little tickle in your throat? Not the hack of a winter cold and not choking -- just a little cough (and cough and cough).

What do you do for yours?

We slept with a bedroom window open slightly last night because of the cooler temperatures. Darned if I didn't cough all night...don't know if it was dust or cool air (in the 50s) or what). I sure could use some suggestions for what to do next time. Water and a cough drop stopped it long enough for me to get back to sleep but it wasn't a good sleep.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting rid of tickle in throat

Rita, could it be an allergic reaction to RAGWEED? You do know, it is flowering and pollinating like crazy right now, don't you?

I just take more allergy meds this time of the year, to keep from just getting that "tickle".

Moni

o

My Grandfather always used Blackberry Brandy for a cure of those pesky throat tickles.

Ron; cough, cough

o

You may be right about an allergy, Moni, because there was some of that nasty "drainage" stuff, too. I'm not much for taking medicines, but I like Ron's suggestions!!

What's that I hear? The phone? Oh, my...must run to town and wouldn't you know it---I have to drive by a liquor store! LOL!

o

Try the old fashioned remedy--warm salt water gargle.

o

Probably not as good as the Blackberry Brandy,(haha),but you can mix Apple Cider Vinegar and honey. Take a tablespoon as often as needed. Elderly lady I use to take care of, kept a jar beside her ALL the time!

o

I totally agree with Moni. I heard on the weather last night that the Ragweed is rampant this year. DD and both her kids have allergies and are suffering through it now.
Leslie

o

I read a long time ago to drink lemonade (even the pre-packaged mix works) as hot as you can stand it.

o
I'll try that!

We have lemonade and apple cider in the cabinet. I'll drink one of those at bedtime tonight. I just couldn't get "awake" enough to do anything in the middle of the night except get a glass of water and a cough drop.

Thank you all!

o

Dh and I both started this tickle in the throat when we started taking water pills for blood pressure. Doc said it would happen. So could this be your problem?

o

If it's not an allergy it could be a sinus infection. I had one and didn't realize it until I saw a doctor. That little tickle I couldn't get rid of was actually drainage.

o

I was gonna suggest a sip of whiskey and honey too, but I see Ron beat me to the bar. LOL I have had those tickley coughs Rita, so I know how aggravating they can get. Hope some of the home remedies do the trick for you.

o

Try a pinch of salt at the back of the throat.

o

Tally is on the right track, whenever I get a cough it's actually my sinuses draining. I get relief by using a Neti Pot.

o

I have the same thing! I wake up coughing and coughing and then have to get up, blow my nose, spray saline in my nose and that usually does the trick. I think with me something gets my nose stuffed up, or running down the back of my throat (sorry for the graphics) and it wakes me with that darn coughing!

Anyway, blow, saline and I'm good to go...back to sleep. Hopefully.

~Susan

o

Yup, sinus drainage... that is why I am thinking allergies. The open window could have triggered an acceleration of the symptoms

Moni

o

I have the same problem from time to time.

Finally went to an EENT doc and after running a tube, with a light, through my nose and down my throat he told me to go to drug store and get a bottle of saline spray and use that.

I just got a new bottle last week and it definitely helps.

He told me if I could find the kind of bottle that is refillable to get that, and make my own, but so far I haven't found one. A bottle is only a couple dollars.

It sure is aggravating when I'm trying to have a conversation with someone.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here