Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need prayers and good thoughts for sick kitty

Posted by kittiemom (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 7:29

One of our cats, Stormy, wasn't acting like herself the last few days so we took her to the vet yesterday. The vet called to say that she has a huge cyst in her abdomen and needs an ultrasound. They will have results of blood tests back today to see if there are any problems there. One of our other cats had something similar. It was just a benign cyst. They drained it & he's been fine since. We are really hoping it's the same with her. She is a sweetheart and is my husband's darling girl. Please send us prayers & good thoughts. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need prayers and good thoughts for sick kitty

I'm sure God watches over our kitties, just like He does the sparrows and the lilies in the field. Saying a prayer for Stormy right now.

o

Many special thoughts for your precious Stormy. Please update when you can.

o

Yes, sending mine as well. Looking forward to a good outcome.

o

Sending prayers for Stormy and for you and your husband.

o

Oh no, I do hope you get good news!...I sure do understand how stressful it can be.

o

Hopefully it's good news, I know how difficult it is to worry about our babies. Let us know please.

o

Hoping for good news. Please keep us posted

o

Sending good thoughts for Stormy.

o

Thank you everyone. The vet called with lab results - not good. Her kidney values are all very bad. The vet recommended that we take her to the emergency clinic. Stormy's vet is closed tomorrow but she will be volunteering at the emergency clinic & it's where the ultrasound will be performed, so she will stay there until Mon. They are giving her fluids but can't really advise on treatment until the ultrasound is done.

o

Poor little Stormy! My prayers for her and hugs to you and your husband. Is the emergency clinic staffed throughout the night?

Please continue to keep us updated.

o

We all love and care for our furry family! Sending special thoughts!

o

Aw.........thinking of Stormy and her family.

o

Thinking of all of you. Sorry your Stormy is so sick.

o

(((Kittiemom and Stormy))))

o

Sending good thoughts for Stormy.

o

I'm hoping your little girl comes thru this and is home with you next week. I know how scary it is when one of our furry kids has an issue. Good thoughts to Stormy and you.

o

Just wishing you the best.

o

I once had an elderly cat who was seriously sick, her blood tests showed multiple organ failure-liver, kidney, thyroid. The Vet gave her lots of IV fluids which perked her up tremendously. She came home, acted "normal" again, lived another 6 months. During this time, I fed her her favorite canned food, expensive Fancy Feasts with gravy flavors. Unfortunately, my other cat at the time started eating the sick one's food, so I ended up buying Fancy feasts for both! I seriously believe the FF food is what kept her going for those 6 months. Let us know how Stormy is doing.

o

Just said a prayer for Stormy. Our last two cats turned 15 and get Fancy Feast all the time.

o

The vet just called & said one of her kidney values is better after receiving IV fluids. She isn't eating though. She was eating well at home yesterday morning, so we are assuming this is because she is in a strange place with lots of noise like barking dogs. Stormy is quite timid and used to a very quiet home. DH has to work, but I'm leaving shortly to take some food & see if she'll eat for me.

o

Ask the vet if they are giving her Pepcid. Periactin will also stimulate her appetite. Can you give fluids at home where she'll be more comfortable?

o

With one of my cats, I gave his IV at home for about a year and it worked wonders for him. He would just about come and tell me when it was time for one.He would sit there and not move , I put his cat bed up on the counter in the bathroom and he would lay down in it and I had the IV hanging from a coat hanger up high on the cabinet, it took about 10 minutes to put in the required amount and he knew exactly when it should be over and he would turn his head and gently grab my finger with his teeth LOL .
Like ok now I am done! This is a gentle warning!
Then he would get down and spend an hour licking himself since he had saliva again.
When it got to the point that he was not bouncing back with the IV and his levels were very bad the vet said he would not be around much longer. He passed at home one night.
All 3 of my kitties died from that darn kidney failure. It is so unfortunate that so many cats end up that way. But the vet said there really is not a lot of pain involved.

I hope your kitty can make it through this for a while longer.

o

Kittiemom-kidney failure can be managed. My cat has had it for almost 5 years. Take one step at a time and lets hope the ultrasound comes back OK. Stormy might not like like the rx food for a kidney diet. She may get used to it, but if not there are alternatives. My cat is a 'nervous Nellie' type and didn't do as well as hoped for when he was first diagnosed and put in the hospital. He did gradually improve at home and was back to his old self after a few ups and downs. Fortunately he has never had to be hospitalized again. Have the vet give you a copy of his latest lab report upon discharge. Send me an email when she comes home and I will try and help you with the kidney disease, and ways to save money on supplies.

o

When I had a very old cat, the vet said as long as he would eat he would live. I gave him canned prescription Sciene Diet and he ate it off a spon until he felt better. That prolonged his life for about 9 months. I had told him to just live through the winter and keep me warm and if he wanted to go in the spring, that was OK.

o

You can try feeding Stormy jarred meat baby food too... my 21+ year old cat had been eating a jar of baby food a day for the past 3 or 4 years. I'm sure that is what kept her alive for so long. She liked the chicken and ham flavors.

o

sure hope you can get her to eat...

any dental problems? I didn't realize my baby had lost a tooth and another was loose...but I had her put down..her body temp was way down (her internal system was shutting down...she was 18...)

o

She ate some tuna and seemed hungry. I stayed with her a long time. She was scared by all the noise, but she purred while she ate & then curled up beside me and and continued to purr. Thanks for all the good wishes. I'll update after we get the results of the ultrasound.

o

Hi Kittie,
My thoughts are with Storm as well. I had a cat that went thru that and she refused to eat when she was at the vet. I went in and fed her, and she ate wet food when she came home. Prior to that, she was always a dry food kitty.

o

I hope you get good news from the tests. My thoughts are with you and your Stormy. (my daughter has 2 cats, Stormey and Luna)

o

Looking for an update on Stormy. Any results from the ultrasound? Hoping for good news.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here