Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Army Surgery Is Over

Posted by jannie (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 6:29

I'm the successful kidney transplant recipient with the arm difficulties. The "fistulas" vein in my left arm where I got my dialysis for four and a half years was big and swollen. I had an operation in June to close it off ("ligation" )but it formed blood clots and remained swollen. Another surgery in July to remove the blood clots ("thrombectomy") but they came back. I was disappointed and saw another vascular surgeon, who gave me a second opinion, offering a minor procedure like the first surgeon wanted, or a more major removal of the vein with plastic surgery. I went back to vascular surgeon yesterday and he did another thrombectomy. Things went well from the start. My daughter drove me to the hospital and stayed all day with me. I was told to get there at 6:30 am, They prepped me and got the IV sedation in easily, the actual operation lasted from about 8:30 to ten, recovery went well,I was given some pain medication, some food, and sent home. We got home about noon, darling daughter Vicki made me lunch, put me to bed and then cleaned house! What a doll! I felt pretty good, my dressing isn't as tight as the others, no real pain, I just kept it propped up on pillows and rested. Today (Tuesday) I woke up early and still feel good. I'm going to the doctors office on Wednesday to have him remove the "pressure bandage." Now I'm just crossing my fingers my arm will look close to normal. Anyone else want to cross their fingers? Toes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arm Surgery Is Over

I realize, there was a super fast Y that climbed in your subject. LOL

But on the surgery, and the healing...

BEST WISHES, FAST HEALING! and that all is well!

Moni

o
RE: Army Surgery Is Over

Oh lets us all pray that everything went well and the healing can begin for real.. Good luck and rest.

june

o

Sending wishes that this was a successful surgery and that all will be well with you.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Phyllis

o

My typo is hilarious. I've never been in the Army.

o

I'll be crossing fingers and toes, but I'll also be saying big-time prayers that this is the last surgery you need on your arm.
Photobucket

o

I believed the "Army." LOL

So glad to read good news about your arm. And you've got a great daughter!!

o

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that THIS time will be a great success so you can really enjoy your new life. (((((HUGS)))))

o

I even have my eyes crossed for you! Take care of yourself, and I wish you a rapid, uncomplicated recovery.

o

Jannie, sending healing prayers your way. I was thrown by the Army surgery lol. After all, I am a blonde. :)

o

You are in my thoughts!

o

Thinking of you!! get better for good,real soon!

o

I hope you have an excellent outcome this time you sure deserve it.

I too was trying to fit the army in there some where LOL

o

Fingers crossed that will work. You sure have been through a lot, my dear. And yes, you do have a wonderful daughter.

o

Good to hear.

o

I hope it heals fast and you don't have to have any more surgeries. I think you've had enough.

o
RE: Arm Surgery Is Over

My fingers and eyes are crossed with hopes that your "army" heals quickly and well.

o

Hmm, I thought you had your surgery at a military hospital. I do hope with all my heart that your arm heals well and soon.

I was thinking of you because I found out recently that my ExH has been going to dialysis three times a week for the past year and no one told me. I was very upset. He's my kids' father so you think someone might have mentioned it. I feel very bad for him. We had our differences but I never wished him ill. I imagine it is very hard for him to be so limited in where he can go and when. I have learned a lot about it since I got the news (my older son let it slip). I have no idea what his prognosis is. He is 67.

What was it like to be on dialysis? Hugs to you.

o

I pray all goes well this time. You continue to be an inspiration to all! Hugs to you!

o

Jannie, I am so pleased things seem to be going well with your surgery. Best of luck on Wednesday.

Sue

o

You are due some good fortune so here's hoping all will be well this time.

o

Crossing my fingers,toes and saying prayers of healing!

o

It's Wednesday morning. I slept well last night, but when I woke up my left hand looked swollen. The bandage will be off in just a few hours. Also have an appointment at the transplant center to go over my kidney readings.

o

Daughters are awesome. I hope you continue to heal quickly, fully, and pain free.

It's Wednesday morning, how are you feeling this a.m.?

o

Best of luck today Jannie. You are a real trooper, for sure!!!

o

Wow. i'm glad it's over and everything went so smoothly!
yea!! I sure hope that this is the last one you'll need.!

o

Hopefully the swelling is from the tight bandage? Many good wishes that the third time is a charm!

o

The third time WAS the charm! Bandage off yesterday, my arm looks much much better. Doc says I can leave bandage off at night, re-wrap in the morning for the next 30 days.

o

Hurray!

o

Congratulations! I'm very happy for you, Jannie.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here