Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
corn bread mix

Posted by lindalou (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 12 at 5:38

is there anything i can add to boxed corn bread mix to make it more cake-like and less crumbly? i thought i read somewhere that adding oil will do the trick. any suggestions???? ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: corn bread mix

To one box of Jiffy corn bread mix, add one box Jiffy yellow cake mix, following the directions on each box. Hope this is what you are looking for. :)

Sue

o

Why not make your own? Cake-like (otherwise known as 'Northern'--LOL) cornbread is simple and you probably have all the ingredients in your kitchen (even if you don't, you'd have to run out to get cornbread mix, right? so just pick up a container of cornmeal instead). Just put: 1 cup flour, 1 cup cornmeal, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon baking powder in a bowl and whisk to blend. In a smaller bowl whisk together 1 cup milk, 1 beaten egg, 1/2 cup oil or melted butter. Add the liquid to the dry, and stir just till the dry ingredients are moistened--the mixture should still be lumpy. Turn into a greased 8 or 8" square pan, or a comparably sized iron skillet, or 12 muffin cups. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven--15-20 minutes for muffins, or 25-30 minutes for corn bread, or until cornbread is risen and golden.

Cornbread will always be a little crumbly, though--because you're using cornmeal instead of half the flour--which means you have half the gluten to create the structure that will hold the finished product together.

o

I think you can add a extra egg, that usually makes things "cake" like.

o

I make mine the same as Marilyn. I mix each separate and then together. One box Jiffy cornbread mix and one box Jiffy yellow cake mix. Good cornbread!

o

This is the recipe I use for my cornbread

3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2 cubes butter or margarine, melted
3 cups Bisquick
1/2 cup corn meal
1 cup sugar
3/4

teaspoon baking powder

You can adjust your sugar to your taste.

BAKE AT 350 in a greased pan, 9 x 13

Sue

o

I make mine just like they do/did at Perkin's restaurant - one box corn muffin mix and one box of yellow cake mix - equal sizes. It turns out delicious! Of course, this makes a SWEET corn bread.

o

I love to add dollops of cream cheese into the batter in the pan. I pour in part of the batter use a spoon to drop dollops randomly about then pour in the remaining batter. Cook normally.
When you bite into one of the warm yummy pockets of cream cheese it is heavenly. It will also help with keeping it moist.

o

I cannot find the Jiffy cake mix here, just the cornbread. Our favorite cook, Glenda, posted a recipe for corn pudding using the Jiffy cornbread mix a year or two ago. I made it for Thanksgiving, and the family loved it. It has now earned the status of a "must have" for Thanksgiving. Our entire Thanksgiving meal consists of family favorites, and we vary the selection infrequently.

o

Just this past weekend I made a cornbread casserole for a BBQ birthday bash, it was a big hit even among people who normally dislike cornbread. I modified the recipe shown below in that I used 1 can-full of frozen corn rather than the can of regular corn.

Cornbread Casserole

1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
1 can creamed corn
1 can regular corn (drained)
1 stick of butter
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream

Take glass baking pan, melt butter in it, in the microwave.
Beat egg in bowl. Add egg and all remaining ingredients to baking pan, stir until blended, spread mixture to uniform thickness

Bake at 350 deg F for 1 hour in 8x8 pan or 45 minutes in 13x9 pan

o

If you go to the Jiffy website, you can request a copy of their free cookbook. It has a lot of recipes in it.

Sue

o

thanks, everyone, for all your recipes and suggestions. i really appreciate it. i will try them all and let you know what we really liked. thanks, again!! ;)

o

Well, lo and behold, I looked at the grocery store again today to see if they had the Jiffy cake mix since reading this recipe again, and there it was! Thanks for reminding me to look again. I have tried to find it for 2 years with no luck till today.

o

thanks, everyone, for all your recipes and suggestions. i really appreciate it. i will try them all and let you know what we really liked. thanks, again!! ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here