I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, September 9, 2012

Posted by luckygardnr (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 0:20

Red Onion & Blueberry Jam

Serves: 2 cups

2 tsp canola oil 30 mL
1 large red onion, diced
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper 1 mL
1/2 cup each dry red wine; cranberry juice; Compliments Pure Natural Liquid Honey; and Compliments Red Wine Vinegar 125 mL
1 cup blueberries 250 mL
2 tsp Compliments Thyme, chopped 30 mL
1 tbsp Sensations by Compliments Aged Balsamic Vinegar of Modena 15 mL

Tips

Enjoy this jam spread atop baked brie, as part of a meat and cheese plate or as a tangy condiment for our mini meat pies.

Directions

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions soften, 3 to 5 min.

Stir in wine, juice, honey and red wine vinegar. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until almost all liquid evaporates, about 15 min.

Reduce heat to low, stir in the blueberries and cook until mixture reaches a jam-like consistency, about 15 min.

Transfer to a bowl and stir in thyme and balsamic vinegar. Let cool. Transfer to a resealable container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, September 9, 201

This looks so good! If I had an abundance of veggies I would definitely make this.

Open-Faced Veggie Sandwich (Taste of Home)

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 medium eggplant, thinly sliced
2 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
1 large onion, sliced
1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
1 medium green pepper, sliced
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
4 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick), toasted
1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
4 slices Muenster cheese

In a large bowl, combine the oil, garlic, salt, oregano and basil. Add vegetables and toss to coat. Transfer to two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans.

Bake, uncovered, at 425 for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.

Combine the mayonnaise, vinegar and mustard; spread over toast. Place on a baking sheet. Top with vegetable mixture, tomato and cheese. Broil 6-8 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.

o

Pan Scalloped Potatoes
(from Encyclopedia of Cookery)

3 T butter or margarine
3 cups diced raw potatoes
2 cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the potatoes, and stir over a low flame
until the fat is absorbed. Add the milk and seasonings, and cook very slowly
about 30 minutes, adding more milk if needed. (Serves 4)

(I cook for 5 to 7 minutes uncovered, then 5 to 7 covered. Each time I
switch, I stir the potatoes.)

Shirley

o

Thanks, Shirley--seems easier than baking it and definitely faster!

I won't stop thinking about this cake until I make it. The picture on Pinterest was to die for! Almost like a sour cream coffee cake.

HONEY BUN CAKE (Serve at Once)

For the Cake:
1 box yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup vegetable oil

For the Swirl:
1 cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon, or to taste

For the Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
6 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. By hand, blend the cake mix, eggs, sour cream, and oil until well-incorporated. The mixture will be pale yellow--it's ok if it has some lumps! Set aside.

In a separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon until well-blended, and set aside.
Pour half of the cake batter into a greased 13x9 pan, spreading the batter out into a thin layer. Add half of the swirl mixture to the cake, making sure to sprinkle it on the entire layer. Pour the rest of the batter on top, and spread the batter until the cake is even. Top the cake off with the rest of the swirl mixture. With a knife, swirl the batter until you create a beautiful masterpiece.

Place the cake into the oven, and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
While the cake is baking, make the glaze. In a bowl, mix the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until the glaze is desired consistency. When the cake comes out of the oven, pour glaze onto the entire, hot cake. Let the cake sit for a few minutes so the glaze can set. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 12-15

o

By special request, mine, friend is taking this, again, to Monday's potluck luncheon.

Blackberry Wine Cake

Cake Ingredients

1 box white cake mix
1 3-oz.box blackberry gelatin
4 eggs
1 cup Blackberry wine
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup cooking oil

Glaze Ingredients

1 cup powdered sugar (plus extra)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup blackberry wine

Cake: Combine cake mix and gelatin; add eggs, oil and wine. Beat with mixer on low speed until moistened, then on medium for 2 minutes, scraping bowl often. Grease and heavily flour Bundt pan. Sprinkle pecans on bottom of pan. Pour in batter and bake in preheated 325 degrees oven for 45 minutes. When done, remove from oven and punch holes in the cake with a wooden spoon handle. Pour half of the glaze over warm cake while still in the pan. Cool for 10 minutes, then turn cake out of pan and cool.

Glaze: Mix glaze ingredients together and bring to a good boil. More powdered sugar may be added if needed to thicken. Pour over cake.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here