Houzz Logo Print
luckygardnr

I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, September 7, 2012

luckygardnr
11 years ago

This is definitely on my 'to try' list.

Braised Chicken Thighs with Orange, Ginger and Basil

by katerina

Fresh basil and a ripe orange lighten up this braised chicken recipe making it well-suited for a rainy summer or early fall meal.

The sauce is the star, so don't forget to serve it with roast potatoes or egg noodles so you can enjoy every last drop.

(serves 2)

1 tablespoon olive oil

4 skinless chicken thighs (bone-in)

salt and freshly ground pepper

1/2 onion, diced

2 tablespoons finely sliced ginger

2 cloves garlic

1 orange, zested and juiced

1 teaspoon sugar

1/4 cup white wine

1 cup chicken stock

1 teaspoon flour

1 large handful fresh basil

Pat the chicken dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat a small dutch oven to medium high heat and add the olive oil. Once hot add the chicken and allow to brown on both sides. Be patient as this may take 10 minutes, but it will really add to the flavour.

Remove the chicken to a plate and turn the heat down to medium low. Add the onion, ginger, garlic and orange zest and sweat for 5 minutes until soft. Use the juices from the vegetables to scrape any of the brown bits from the pan, if it starts getting dry and wanting to brown add a tablespoon of water. Continue cooking until the onions are soft. Add the wine and bring to a simmer, allow to reduce by half then add the chicken back to the pot along with the chicken stock, sugar and orange juice.

Bring to a very gentle simmer. Cook for 30 minutes on low heat (a gentle simmer), or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.

Remove chicken to a clean plate. Bring sauce to a furious simmer. Slowly sprinkle on the flour while you whisk it in.

Continue whisking until totally mixed and then continue whisking occasionally, for another3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add chicken back in or until nice and warm.

Roughly chop the basil and stir in. Serve chicken immediately, topped with lots of sauce.

Comments (2)