SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luckygardnr

Recipe Sharing, September 2012

luckygardnr
11 years ago

Sweet and Sour Meatballs for a crowd

Tried and True by my DSis

Buy a package of frozen meatballs and cook them according to the directions on the box. Or make your own favorite recipe. I'm too lazy! LOL! Set them aside while you make the sauce.

Sweet and Sour Sauce

2 sweet red bell peppers, chopped

2 green bell peppers, chopped

2 cups diced celery

1 19-oz can crushed pineapple, drained and reserve juice

3/4 cup brown sugar, packed

1 tsp garlic, minced to a paste with the salt below

1 tsp salt

1/2 dry mustard

4 tbs corn starch

1 cup vinegar

2 cups water

3/4 cups catsup

3 tbs soya sauce

1/2 tsp ground ginger or 1 tbs freshly grated ginger

Directions

Saute peppers and celery in a little oil for 5 minutes.

Set aside with the pineapple, to be added later.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a large saucepan.

Stir over medium heat until sauce is thickened and clear.

Add meatballs, peppers, celery and pineapple.

Heat thoroughly. Stir in the reserved pineapple juice, in small amounts, if mixture gets too thick.

Serve over plain boiled rice. Makes 24 servings.

Comments (62)

• patti43
    11 years ago

Woo hoo, Joann! Now that's a dessert!!

I'll try your cookies, Jasdip. They look really good and I'm a coconut nut :-)

Here's my favorite meatball recipe. They're so good and I like the recipe because it doesn't call for onion. I like onions, but just not in meatballs.

Meatballs (Allrecipes)

2 lbs. ground beef, veal or pork or a mixture of any
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 eggs
    1 c. freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese (grate your own)
    1-1/2 Tbsp. chopped fresh Italian parsley
    2 c. crumbled stale Italian bread (I use homemade white bread crumbs)
    Salt and pepper
    1 c. lukewarm water (you may not use all)

Preheat broiler.* Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine everything except the water in a large bowl. Slowly add the water 1/2 c. at a time until the mixture is very moist but holds it's shape one formed into balls.

Using a spring-loaded cookie scoop or your hands, form mixture into evenly-shaped balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Broil for 10 minutes or until nicely browned and almost cooked through.

*I bake them on a foil-lined cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

If using with pasta, remove from oven and mix with sauce. Simmer util the sauce is warmed and meatballs are cooked. To freeze, place uncooked meatballs on a cookie sheet and freeze. When frozen, place in sealable bags. I usually use about 1-1/2 lb. meat and make 27 meatballs, but I don't make mine really big.

• threejs
    11 years ago

Kitchen hint for making meatballs

prepare the meat as you would for meatballs but instead of scooping or rolling by hand and trying for uniform sized meatballs, put a piece of saran wrap on a cookie sheet and spread the meat mix out to about an inch thick. Take a kitchen knife and cut as you would a pan of squares ...exactly the size you want your meatballs. From there it only takes seconds and you will have them all the same size ..I HATE doing them by hand and adding to some and pinching off the others because they are too big ..and it is cold and I just want it done. I just did 84 of them some for the spagetti sauce and the rest for the freezer.

• Related Discussions

I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, September 17, 2011

Q

Comments (1)
    Twinkies Dessert 1 box Hostess Twinkies, cut in half lengthwise Lay cream side up in 9 x 13 (about) cake pan. slice 5 bananas over the Twinkies. Pour 1 (20 ounce) can of crushed pineapple and juice over bananas and cover with 13 ounces Cool Whip. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Sue
    ...See More

I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, September 15, 2011

Q

Comments (3)
    Apple Meringue 2 cups hot stewed apples 1/4 cup sugar 2 tablespoons butter 1 tablespoon lemon juice 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg 3 eggs, separated 1/4 cup sifted confectioner's sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Combine the stewed apples, sugar, butter, lemon juice, and spices; mix well. Beat the egg yolks; add to the apple mixture and beat until light. Pour into a buttered 1 qt. baking dish. Bake at 400 F. degrees about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 325 F. degrees. Beat the egg whites until rounded peaks are formed. Beat in the confectioner's sugar and extract. Cover apple mixture with meringue. Return to oven and bake until meringue is lightly browned. 6 to 8 servings. For stewed apples. Wash, pare, core, and cut 3 large apples, (1 lb.) into pieces. Put into a heavy saucepan, add about 1/4 cup water, cover, and cook apples over medium heat until tender, about 8 minutes. From Pennsylvania Dutch Cookbook Fine Old Recipes Sue
    ...See More

I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, September 2, 2012

Q

Comments (3)
    I have been making the orange sorbet a lot.....delicious. I tried the berry but didn't take the time to strain out all the seeds but it was still very tasty. I have a Cuisinart duo ice cream maker which uses bowls pre-frozen. It is important to let the fruit mixture chill thoroughly before putting into the ice cream maker. Berry Sorbet 15 oz. berries 1 cup sugar pinch of salt 1/2 cup water 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 Tbsp vodka Pulse berries, sugar and salt together in food processor until combines. About 15 pulses. With processor running add lemon juice, water and vodka and continue processing until sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute. Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl and refrigerated until very cold. Transfer mixture to ice cream machine and churn until it resembles soft serve ice cream. Pack in a tight container, pressing down to remove air pockets and freeze until firm. (At least three hours.) Orange sorbet Omit berries. Reduce sugar by 1 Tbsp. and add 2 tsps grated orange zest to food processor with sugar and salt. Omit water and reduce lemon juice to 1 Tbsp. Add two cups orange juice to processor with lemon juice. Lemon sorbet Omit berries. Increase sugar to 1 1/4 cups and water to 1 1/2 cups. Add 2 tsps. lemon zest to food processor with sugar and salt. Increase lemon juice to 1/2 cup. Peach sorbet Substitute 2.5 pounds of peaches, peeled, halved, pitted and chopped coarsely in place of berries. Reduce sugar by 1 Tbsp.. In place of vodka, use rum or peach schnapps. Mango sorbet Substitute 3 mangos, peeled, pitted and chopped coarse for berries. Reduce sugar to 3/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. Pineapple sorbet Substitute 1 small pineapple, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped in place of berries. Reduce sugar to 3/4 cup and lemon juice to 1 Tbsp.
    ...See More

I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, September 9, 2012

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks, Shirley--seems easier than baking it and definitely faster! I won't stop thinking about this cake until I make it. The picture on Pinterest was to die for! Almost like a sour cream coffee cake. HONEY BUN CAKE (Serve at Once) For the Cake: 1 box yellow cake mix 4 eggs 1 cup sour cream 3/4 cup vegetable oil For the Swirl: 1 cup light brown sugar 2 teaspoons cinnamon, or to taste For the Glaze: 2 cups powdered sugar 6 tablespoons milk 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. By hand, blend the cake mix, eggs, sour cream, and oil until well-incorporated. The mixture will be pale yellow--it's ok if it has some lumps! Set aside. In a separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon until well-blended, and set aside. Pour half of the cake batter into a greased 13x9 pan, spreading the batter out into a thin layer. Add half of the swirl mixture to the cake, making sure to sprinkle it on the entire layer. Pour the rest of the batter on top, and spread the batter until the cake is even. Top the cake off with the rest of the swirl mixture. With a knife, swirl the batter until you create a beautiful masterpiece. Place the cake into the oven, and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. While the cake is baking, make the glaze. In a bowl, mix the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until the glaze is desired consistency. When the cake comes out of the oven, pour glaze onto the entire, hot cake. Let the cake sit for a few minutes so the glaze can set. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 12-15
    ...See More
  • Georgysmom
    11 years ago

With all the talk about scones, I thought I'd share my recipe in case I haven't before. They are super easy and very delicious. If you want super huge ones, follow the recipe. I make 12 instead of six and everyone thinks they are big.

Scones

3 C. all purpose flour
    1 C. sugar
    1T. Baking powder
    1 lemon, zested
    pinch of salt
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1 1/2 sticks cold butter cut in pea-size pieces
    1 C. dried cherries
    1/2 C toasted, s;iced almonds
    1/2 C. heavy cream
    Turbinado sugar

Preheat oven 375
    In small bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, salt and cinnamon. Add in butter and rub with hands into dry ingredients until a coarse meal forms. Add in cherries and almonds. Add the heavy cream and combine into the butter flour mixture Pat dough into a 1" thick round disk (I make 2 1" thick disks) and cut disk into six wedges. Sprinkle each wedge generously with Turbinado (raw) sugar. Transfer to parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 375 17 - 18 minutes turning pan halfway through baking process. (check scones after 15 - 16 minutes.

So easy, so good.

• nanny98
    11 years ago

Breakfast Cookies.....Cream together
    1 1/2 Cups Shortening (I always used Crisco as butter was not redily available in the 40's and 50's)
    2 Cups Brown Sugar (packed)........Beat in
    4 Eggs until light and fluffy......Disolve
    1 tea Baking Soda in 3 T water.....Add
    2 Cups Oatmeal
    2 Cups Flaked Cereal...............Add
    1 Cup Raisins
    1 Cup Nuts
    3 Cups Flour
    Bake 350 degrees 12 min or until browned. Can be dropped by teaspoon then flattened with a glass dipped in water. If baked until brown, they will be crispy...less brown, more moist.

This is a most forgiving recipe. Much like Martha Stewart. She adds 1/2 cup or so of pumpkin and or sunflower seeds...coconut, mango, papaya and banana chips.
    I have added Wheat Germ, used unbleached flour; even part whole wheat flour and less sugar (Kids called them Dog Bisquits) And I most often increase the nuts as Walnuts were always available and yummy. Now we know how healthy they are. I doubt that I will use butter...dairy issues here, but we use a non dairy spread that is healthy instead of shortening..at least partially.

And, OMGoodness...when I made these recently I think I counted 70+ 1 to 3 inch cookies, which I made into balls and then flattened. I have also made balls, froze them on a cookie sheet, then bagged them to bake later. They are always edible...even the dog bisquits.

• patti43
    11 years ago

This isn't a recipe, but it's something I never thought of doing. I like to bake large baking potatoes 4-6 at a time and make twice-baked potatoes. Then put them on a cookie sheet, freeze and transfer to freezer bags. Handy to have around, believe me!

With this recipe, the potatoes could cook all night and be ready for "fixin" the next day.

CROCKPOT BAKED POTATOES

8 potatoes (like russets)

Wash the potatoes well and let them dry. Then wrap each potato in a piece of foil (no need for pricking them). Place the foil wrapped potatoes in your crock pot. Cook on low for 8 hours.

• luckygardnr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A way to use up leftovers.

The other night I chopped up some leftover

pork tenderloin
    carrots
    potatoes

Then I sauteed them in a pan with

chopped onions
    chopped celery
    chopped sweet pickles
    a handful of corn
    a handful of peas

Sprinkle with

worcestershire sauce
    maggi seasoning sauce (optional, but I had some)

If you have leftover gravy, add 1/2 cup to bring it all together, although you don't have to.

Plate it and top with a fried egg.

A great way to clean out your fridge! You can use any meat, sauce or vegetable you have on hand. Delicious!

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    11 years ago

For that time when you need a good quick pie:

Orange Marmalade Cream Cheese Pie
    Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes
    Ingredients:
    Â Crust:
    Â 8 graham cracker squares, ground
    Â 2 Tablespoons sugar
    Â 1-1/2 Tablespoons light cream cheese
    Â
    Â Filling:
    Â 2/3 cup orange marmalade
    Â 1/2 cup light sour cream
    Â 8 ounces light cream cheese
    Â 1/2 cup skim milk
    Â 1/2 cup boiling water
    Â 1 package unflavored gelatin powder
    Â 1/4 cup sugar
    Â 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    Â 1/4 teaspoon salt
    Preparation:
    Mix gelatin in boiling water and stir until completely dissolved. Set aside to cool.

In food processor, combine ground graham crackers and sugar and mix. Add 1-1/2 Tablespoons light cream cheese and process. Spray 9-inch pie plate with non-stick cooking spray. Pour crust mixture into pie plate and press gently to sides and bottom to form crust. Chill.

In food processor, combine sour cream, cream cheese, milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt for filling. Process until smooth. Add gelatin water and marmalade and mix. Very gently pour filling into chilled crust. Chill pie for 3 to 4 hours before serving.

Yield: 8 servings

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

This is not mine, it's from the Dairy Farmers of Canada.
    It looks nice and fresh and very tasty.

Fruit Salad with Cheese

Your choice of the following fruits:
    1/2 honeydew melon
    2 apples, sliced
    2 pears, sliced
    2 peaches, sliced
    1-1/2 cups (375 ml) pitted cherries, halved
    2 plums, quartered
    3 apricots, quartered
    2 tbsp (30 ml) honey
    1/4 cup (60 ml) raw apple juice
    2 tsp (10 ml) fresh tarragon, chopped
    4 Bocconcini, quartered

Using a melon baller, scoop out balls from melon.

In a large bowl, mix fruit, honey, apple juice and tarragon.

Add Bocconcini and toss gently.

Let macerate a few minutes, then serve.

• threejs
    11 years ago

BROWN BREAD
    1 cup rolled oats
    2 tsp. salt
    2 cups boiling water
    2 tbsp. shortening
    3/4 cup molasses
    2 tbsp. sugar

MIX: 1 pkg. yeast
    1 tsp. sugar
    1/2 cup warm water
    Let stand 10 minutes

Mix other ingredients together and let cool. Add yeast mixture and
    6 to 8 cups flour. Knead well.

Place in large bowl (greased with shortening) Let rise until double
    in bulk. Punch down, shape and place in pans. Let rise again.
    Bake 45 minutes @ 375 degrees oven.

• patti43
    11 years ago

I'm making this for dinner tonight. It's been on my "Try" list long enough.

Thai Broccoli Salad

Dressing:

1/4 c. peanut butter (creamy or chunky)
    2 Tbsp. sugar or Splenda
    1-1/2 Tbsp. hot water
    1 Tbsp. lime juice
    1 Tbsp. light soy sauce
    1-1/2 tsp. sesame oil
    1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes

Salad:

2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
    3 c. fresh broccoli florets
    1/2 c. chopped red bell pepper
    1/4 c. sliced green onions
    1 clove garlic, crushed

Combine the dressing ingredients until well blended. Set aside.

Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add salad ingredients and stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes until vegetables are tender-crisp. Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter mixture. Serve warm or at room temperature.

• threejs
    11 years ago

that sounds yummy but I know I cannot serve those little green trees in this house...how can I make others eat them when I can not do it. Nor do I like the little white trees ....it is not the taste it is the texture..ewww bad as lima beans or cooked oatmeal. I just started to eat Thai and have only had a few dishes. Do you think I could use fresh sprouts and or mushroom for that three cups of filler? Can you think of any other veggie that would work?

• patti43
    11 years ago

I can't think of anything, threejs, but I bet someone will come to the rescue.

Glenda, if you see this could you please post your recipe for turnip greens and cornbread casserole? I did a search but didn't come up with it. I have the stuff (well, not the greens) and it sounds wonderful!

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    11 years ago

On my to-try list--the winner in a pie baking contest

Pumpkin Praline Pie

Ingredients for the Crust
    Â 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
    Â 1/2 tsp salt
    Â 1/3 cup and 1 tbsp shortening - or - 1/3 cup and 1 tbsp. lard
    Â 2 to 2 1/2 tbsp. ice water (add the extra 1/2 tbsp if it is too dry)
    Â or store-bought refrigerated crust.

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and use a 9-inch deep dish-glass pie plate. (**If using a metal pie pan, increase temperature to 400 degrees.)

2. With pastry blender, cut shortening into dry ingredients until mixture resembles crumbs. (It will look like cornmeal. Add ice water (it must be very cold) one tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly. Dough should be just moist enough to hold together in a ball. Make sure it is not sticky. Form into ball and refrigerate until ready to use.

3. Place dough on lightly floured surface and flatten slightly. Roll into 10-inch circle, rolling from the center out. Lay the crust gently into 9-inch deep-dish glass pie plate. Press into pan and crimp edges decoratively.

Ingredients for the Praline layer
    Â 1/2 cup pecan pieces
    Â 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
    Â 3 tbsp. softened butter

Ingredients for the Pumpkin Filling
    Â 2 large eggs
    Â 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
    Â 1 cup canned pumpkin
    Â 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
    Â 1/4 tsp ground cloves
    Â 1/4 tsp ground mace
    Â 1/2 tsp ground ginger
    Â 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    Â 1/2 tsp salt
    Â 1 cup evaporated milk

Directions
    1. In food processor, add pecan pieces, dark brown sugar, and butter. Process until ingredients hold together like a paste, making sure the pecans are a fine "meal." Press very firmly into bottom only of the pie crust so it will not float up during baking.

2. In mixing bowl, beat eggs until frothy with hand-mixer or standing mixer. Then with mixer on low, or stirring by hand, add in order the rest of the ingredients. Beat only until well mixed. Pour slowly into praline lined crust.

3. Bake in oven checking after 45 minutes. Cover edges of crust to prevent oven browning. Pie is done when filling is set but still slightly jiggly in center. Depending on oven 45-55 minutes total. Remove from oven and let cool on counter until room temperature. Chill in refrigerator.

4. Garnish with whipped cream and caramelized pecans, if desired. Cut pie into eight servings and garnish each slice with a dollop of whipped cream and 2 caramelized pecan halves.

• threejs
    11 years ago

Comfort food when coming home from school and not something you would do often today. With five kids Mom would make these once in a while as a treat before dinner as the evening meal was at 5:30 when Dad got home from work. Thinking back on it today there was probably a method to her madness...she was just tried to fill us up a bit before we sat at the table.

Corn Fritters

1 1/4 cups flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    2/3 cup milk
    1 beaten egg
    1 med can creamed corn

place all in a mixing bowl and stir until the mixture is blended but not beaten smooth.
    drop by spoonful into a hot greased frying pan and fry as you would a pancake.
    Serve with maple syrup

(or as my brothers' would do have a fritter with their ketchup) Sometimes it was difficult watching what they ate especially with ketchup.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

since I had to post this on the okra thread thought I might go ahead and add it here too. This one is definitely tried and true for generations lol

Okra smothered with tomatoes (my recipe)

2lbs or so fresh young okra (*if you can not get fresh use pictsweet frozen sliced okra)
    2Tbs to 1/4 cup olive oil or bacon drippings or lard (I use about 1/4 c olive oil)
    1large onion chopped fine
    1clove garlic chopped (jar stuff is fine)
    salt and pepper and a little Tonys and some garlic salt plus a pinch of sugar
    1can tomatoes canned (Hunts diced tomatoes with celery, onions and bell pepper) or fresh
    1can Rotels
    Wash whole okra and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Slice into 1/8to 1/4 inch rounds. Saute in oil over med heat until okra stops "stringing" stirring frequently for about 20-30 minutes do not let it brown or burn. (I add a little vinegar to it and it helps stop the slime and stringing. I also add the sugar now) Add onion and garlic and saute till softened and almost clear. Add seasoning and tomatoes. Allow to simmer and cook it down for at least 30 mins or longer on med heat stir often. You can also add chopped green bell pepper to this if you want. You can eat this as a side dish or a main dish and it freezes great. Just put in zip lock bags and freeze. I use this in my gumbo when I make okra gumbo. Total cooking time will be minimum of 1 hour usually more like 1 -2. Remember to stir you do not want to let it stick and burn!

Now if you want to do it the easy way just dump it all in raw into a great big pot with a cover and put it in the oven, do add the vinegar and little bit of sugar, stir it up really well cook it at 350 for an hour or so, I test mine by taking out a piece and seeing if it is nice and tender and has lost most of it's slime. If so it is done. Do stir it a few times while cooking.
    I do this in big batches I fill up my 18qt Magnalite roaster pan and cook it in that, then I stock up my freezer with ziplock baggies of it for use in gumbo or as a side dish. It is also really good to cut up some smoked Cajun sausage and heat it all up together. YUM

• luckygardnr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I just made Glenda's Buttermilk pie, and had a small slice. YUM! An so easy! I used a little lemon juice and the zest of 1/2 small lemon, instead of vanilla. Nice bright flavor.

Buttermilk pie � courtesy of Glenda_Al of the KT

3 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    2 Tbs all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup melted butter
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 tsp vanilla flavouring OR if you prefer lemon flavouring
    1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell

Beat eggs slightly, and add sugar and flour. Then add melted butter and mix well. Add buttermilk and flavouring. Bake in pie shell 325 until custard is set about 40-45 minutes.

• patti43
    11 years ago

That sounds good, Luckygardnr. I'm making Glenda's Irondale cornbread tonight so I have buttermilk!

• glenda_al
    11 years ago

TURNIP GREEN CASSEROLE patti, the Irondale Cafe cornbread will be awesome with this.

1 package regular or jalapeno cornbread mix **next time I'll use the mexican cornbread mix At least 2 cups, but more would be better
    2 cans (15 ounces each) turnip greens **I used glory the big can 27 oz
    1 (10 3/4 ounce) can low-fat condensed cream of chicken soup
    1 stick (1/2 cup) margarine, melted ***1/2 stick is plenty
    1 large onion, chopped ***I sauteed mine

Prepare and bake cornbread as directed on package.

Drain greens and save liquid.

Crumble cornbread and layer half in a casserole dish. **I used the square pyrex dish.

Distribute turnip greens over bread and evenly sprinkle with chopped onion. Add remaining cornbread on top.

Mix liquid from greens, undiluted soup, and melted margarine. Pour over cornbread topping.
    I made room using a knife to allow some of the liquid to seep down to the bottom layer of cornbread

Bake at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes or until bubbly and partially brown. **took longer than 45 minutes for it to absorb the moisture on top especially the middle

• patti43
    11 years ago

The next time we have company, I'm making this for the appetizer. Makes too much for just the two of us. I've tried a lot of different crab dips/spreads but I think this is the one I "need".

LOUISIANA HOT CRAB DIP (Mardi Gras Munchies)

1/2 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, free of shells
    1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan
    3 tablespoons minced green onions (white and green parts)
    2 large garlic cloves, minced
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon hot sauce
    1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
    Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Combine all of the ingredients in a casserole dish and gently stir until thoroughly mixed. Adjust seasoning to taste. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until lightly golden on top. Serve hot. Serve hot, with hot sauce on the side for those who like it spicy. Makes about 1 1/2 cups. Serve with crackers or toast points.

• threejs
    11 years ago

BROWNIE PUDDING

1 Cup flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 cup sugar
    3 tbsp cocoa
    1/2 cup milk
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 tbsp shortening, melted
    1/4 cup walnuts (optional)
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup cocoa
    1 3/4 cup hot water

Sift flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and 3 tbsp cocoa in a bowl. Add milk, vanilla and melted shortening and nuts. Mix will be very thick. Spread in an 8 x 8 greased square pan. Mix brown sugar and the 1/4 cup of cocoa and spread evenly over top of the batter.
    Pour the hot water evenly over the batter, DO NOT stir. Bake at a 350 degree oven for approx 40 min. This pudding forms its own chocolate sauce in the bottom of the pan as it bakes. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream. Serves 6 - 8

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

This is my go-to cabbage soup recipe. It's very thick and filling.

Hearty Cabbage Soup

In large pot saute:
    1 lb ground beef
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 green pepper, chopped
    1/2 cup diced celery

Saute until the redness is gone in the meat.

Add:
    2 tsp salt
    2 tbsp sugar
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp paprika
    hot sauce to taste
    28-oz can tomatoes
    6-oz can tomato paste
    2 cups beef broth
    2 cups hot water
    3 tbsp parsley flakes
    2 cups diced potatoes
    1 cup diced carrots.

Combine thoroughly. Simmer, uncovered, 1 hour.

Add 6-7 cups coarsely chopped cabbage (1 small head).
    Simmer, covered, 1 hour longer. May need to add more hot water.

• luckygardnr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jasdip, this IS the soup we had when you visited me. There's substitutions you can make. Clean out your fridge! I used squash, instead of pumpkin. If you don't have pears, use apples, and if you don't have Harveys Bristol Cream, you can use medium sherry.

When I served it last night, I put a spoonful of sour cream on it and topped that with a little but of pesto. It was sooo delicious!

Pumpkin and Pear Harvest Soup

As adapted from an allrecipes.com recipe

2 tbs butter
    2 large leeks (white and pale green parts only), chopped
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 large potato, peeled and cubed
    1/2 cooking pumpkin
    1 large diced carrot
    3 ripe pears, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
    1 quart chicken stock
    1/4 cup Harvey�s Bristol Cream (optional)
    1/2 cup light cream (optional)
    1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg, or to taste
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp mild curry paste (optional but yummy)
    1 knob grated ginger root
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons chopped chives

1. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in leeks and onions, and cook until the onion softens and turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Add potato, squash, carrots, pears, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes.

2. Carefully puree the soup in batches in a blender, or use a stick blender to puree the soup right in the pot. Once the soup has been pureed, return it to the pot and stir in the sherry and cream. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper; simmer gently for 5 minutes. Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped chives.

Note: I found it tasted so good by itself, that I found it unnecessary to add the cream.

• threejs
    11 years ago

Re Hearty Cabbage Soup

Is there cabbage in it? if so do you saute with the meat, peppers and onions or just add raw to the soup itself?

• Nita__AZ
    11 years ago

Threejs, the recipe says after simmering uncovered one hour to then.....

Add 6-7 cups coarsely chopped cabbage (1 small head).
    Simmer, covered, 1 hour longer. May need to add more hot water.

• Nita__AZ
    11 years ago

Back in the late 60's I bought one of those small cookbooks that they had at the cash registers for 98 cents. This one has so many good recipes in it. I haven't made these muffins in years but remember how much my kids enjoyed them.

Jam-Dandy Muffins

1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp, nutmeg or cinnamon
    1/3 cup shortening
    3/4 cup milk
    1 egg
    apricot jam (any flavor works)
    chopped nuts

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. This recipe yields 12 muffins

In mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Cut in shortening until particles are fine. Add milk and eggs; mix just until thoroughly blended. Spoon into greased muffin cups. Place 1 teaspoon jam on top of each muffin, pressing into batter slightly. Sprinkle with a few chopped nuts and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until tops spring back when touched lightly.

Serve warm.

• patti43
    11 years ago

Thanks, Jasdip. I've been meaning to look up a recipe for cabbage soup--even bought the cabbage in anticipation :0

Luckygardnr, is there any way canned pumpkin would work? Our pumpkins aren't in the stores yet and I'm in a soup mode these days.

This is a good bread to go with soup or served as a snack during football games. Shoot, it's good anytime!

French Bread

1 large loaf French bread
    1-1/2 c. mayonnaise
    1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
    1 c. chopped green onions (with the green part)
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped

Cut the bread in half lengthwise. Combine remaining ingredients and spread on each half. Wrap each half in foil and refrigerate 2 hours. Unwrap and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven 8-10 minutes. May be frozen before baking and thawed.
    Note: I like to make the mayo mixture ahead of time so the garlic is infused with the other stuff. I've also added about a teaspoon of oregano or Italian seasoning and that's good, too.

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

I've got it simmering on the stove now, Patti. Smells good in here.

• threejs
    11 years ago

ooooooooops I bet I read that six times and didn't read the bottom. I was going through my mind all the ingredients to see if I had everything. It is on the stove now thanks!! I did sub the potatoes for orzo though as I had none.

• patti43
    11 years ago

Threejs, that brownie pudding is sooo good. Love it with vanilla ice cream on it while the cake is still warm. I haven't made it in ages and I think it's time again since I'm practically drolling on my keyboard. :-)

• luckygardnr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You could certainly use canned pumpkin, though I wouldn't add it till the veggies are all cooked. I used butternut squash, as I was unable to get to the farmers market that day.

• patti43
    11 years ago

Got this from the Cooking Forum years ago. Marilyn was the gal who posted the recipe. Her screen name was Dana or DanaIN. (Dana was her dog.) She was a great cook. Wonder where she went? I promise you'll like this even if you aren't crazy for Brussels sprouts

Marilyn's Brussels Sprouts

18-20 Brussels sprouts, cut in half
    Salt and pepper to taste
    2 Tbsp. butter
    2 Tbsp. flour
    3/4 c. milk
    1/4 c. freshly grated parmesan cheese
    2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
    2 Tbsp. cracker crumbs (I use more)

Clean sprouts by cutting off the tip of the stem and removing the tough outside leaves; wash in cold water. Place in a single layer in a medium skillet. Sprinkle sprouts with salt and pepper and add enough water to fill the bottom of the pan. Cover and bring to a simmer, steaming sprouts until a knife inserted comes out easily. Do not overcook. Immediately remove from the skillet and into ice water to stop cooking and set the bright green color.

Remove liquid from skillet an add butter, melting completely. Whisk in flour along with salt and pepper until smooth and bubbly; cook for aboout 2 minutes. Whisk in cold milk gradually until smooth and mixture thickens. Stir in cheese, remove from heat and stir in mayonnaise. Add sprouts to the sauce and pour all into a casserole dish. Sprinkle top with cracker crumbs and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until bubbly. Serves 4.

• jkayd_il5
    11 years ago

Just finished making these.

Toffee Cheesecake Bars

1 cup flour
    3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
    1/3 cup baking cocoa
    1/8 tsp baking soda
    1/2 cup cold butter
    1 8 oz pkg. reduced fat cream cheese (I used regular)
    1 14 oz can sweetned condensed milk
    2 beaten eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 1/4 cup milk chocolate English toffee bits (divided)

In a small bowl, combine the flour, confectioners' sugar, cocoa and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 12 x 9 inch baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 min.

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add the milk, eggs and vanilla, beat until smooth. Stir in 3/4 cup toffee bits. Pour over crust. Bake 18-22 minutes longer or until almost set.

Cool slightly, sprinkle with remaining toffee bits. Cool, cover and refigerate.

1 bar equals 169 calories.

• threejs
    11 years ago

CLOUD BISCUITS

2 cups all purpose flour
    1 tbsp sugar
    4 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 cup shortening
    1 beaten egg
    2/3 cup whole milk

Sift together dry ingredients, cut in the shortening until mixture resembles course crumbs. Combine milk and eggs and ad to the flour mixture all at once. Stir until the mixture follows the fork and makes a soft dough. Pour out on a floured cutting board. Kneed gently with the heel of your hand about 15 times. Using a round cutter dipped in flour cut straight down, no twisting and place on a greased baking sheet. Touching sides, the biscuits will be softer, spacing them gives a more crusty style. Chill for 1 - 3 hours,(I sometimes just put them in the freezer for a half hour if I want to bake them right away) Bake in a hot oven 450 degrees F for 10 - 14 minutes or browned to your liking.

I have used this same recipe when making strawberry shortcake but I double the sugar to 2 tbsp.

• patti43
    11 years ago

Hey, where is everyone?? This recipe sounds good, but I haven't made it yet.

CINNAMON SWIRL BREAD (Allrecipes)

1/3 cup white sugar
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup white sugar
    1 egg, beaten
    1 cup milk
    1/3 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. In a small bowl, mix together 1/3 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon; set aside.

In large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and remaining 1 cup sugar. Combine egg, milk, and oil; add to flour mixture. Stir until just moistened. Pour half of the batter into pan. Sprinkle with half the reserved cinnamon/sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining batter and cinnamon/sugar mixture. Draw a knife through batter to marble.

Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Wrap in foil and let sit overnight before slicing.

• nodakgal
    11 years ago

Used this this morning to clean my shower and bathroom. Worked pretty darn good too!! I was surprised! And smelled good. I only left it sit a few minutes, not sure how long but guess about 5? I used a Mr Clean type eraser to scrub with.
    I had pinned this on Pinterest quite some time ago, wish I'd tried it sooner!

Tub and Shower Magic

12 ounces white vinegar
    12 ounces liquid, blue dawn detergent

Directions:

1 Heat vinegar in microwave until hot and pour into squirt bottle.
    2 Add the Dawn soap. Put the lid on and gently shake to incorporate.
    3 You now have a powerful cleaning product that will melt soap scum and tub and shower buildup, clean sinks, appliances and just about anything. Just spray it on, scrub, rinse and be amazed. For tough soap scum build-up, spray the mixture on and allow it to sit as long as overnight. Then, scrub and rinse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tub and Shower Magic

• Nita__AZ
    11 years ago

I have made this lots of times and everyone enjoys it. It is great reheated in the microwave also.

Mexicali Meat Pie

8 or 9 inch unbaked pastry shell

1 egg
    1 pound lean ground beef
    1 can (7 oz) whole kernel corn with sweet peppers, drained (Mexicorn)
    1/2 cup soda cracker crumbs or plain bread crumbs
    1/2 cup chili sauce
    2 tbsp. sweet pepper flakes
    1 tbsp. minced onion
    1/2 tsp. oregano
    4 stuffed green olives, sliced (I use more because I like olives)
    6 slices crisp, crumbled bacon, if desired

Topping
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    2 tbsp milk
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. dry mustard
    1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Oven 425 degrees, makes 6 servings

Beat egg slightly in mixing bowl. Add ground beef, corn, cracker crumbs, chili sauce, pepper flakes, onion and oregano. Mix well. Press meat mixture firmly into pastry lined pie pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Spread topping on filing. Top with olives and bacon. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Topping: Combine egg and milk; add salt, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce and cheese.

• threejs
    11 years ago

Time to liven this thread up.....don't shoot me but this is the name of the recipe as it was given to me. Huge hit when there is a crowd around for a bbq or buffet.

SEX IN A PAN

Ingredients

1 cup flour
    1/2 cup butter or marg
    3 oz of pecans chopped
    1 (8 oz) pkg of cream cheese
    1 cup icing sugar
    1 lg cool whip
    1 pkg vanilla instant pudding
    1 pkg chocolate instant pudding 4 oz
    3 cups cold milk
    1 square of semi sweet chocolate shaved

Instructions

Mix flour, butter and pecans and press in a 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degree oven for 25 min until cool
    Combine cream cheese and the icing sugar and spread over the cooled base. Spread 1/2 of the whipped topping over this layer.

Mix vanilla pudding using 1/12 cups of milk and spread over the cool whip layer. Do the same for the chocolate pudding and spread that over the vanilla layer. Spread with the remaining whipped topping and then shave the chocolate over the top sprinkling it evenlly over the whole pan.

Note:
    I have used both the above crust and made one using a graham cracker base for those that did not like the one with pecans. I think both are good. I also mixed the puddings in their own bowls as soon as I finished with the crust. It just gave it a little more time to "set up" and I found it easier to spread.

• nodakgal
    11 years ago

I make my own coffee creamers. Here is one I made yesterday.

Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer

Ingredients

1 can sweetened condensed mik
    1-1/2 cups skim milk
    3 tablespoons canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
    1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    1/2 - 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, to taste

Instructions

Combine ingredients in a container with a cover. Shake until combined. Or use an immersion blender or traditional blender and blend until smooth.
    Store, covered, in the fridge and shake well/stir before using.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin Spice Creamer

• patti43
    11 years ago

We really like tilapia, so I'm always looking for new ways to fix it (without frying). We just restocked our supply, so this is the first new way I'll try it.

TILAPIA PARMESAN (MaMa's Supper Club)

1 lb. tilapia (orange roughy, cod or red snapper can be substituted)
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
    1 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
    1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
    1/8 teaspoon seasoning salt (I like Old Bay seasoning here)
    1/8 teaspoon dried basil
    1/2 to taste black pepper
    1/2 dash hot pepper sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In buttered 13-by-9-inch baking dish or jellyroll pan, lay fillets in single layer. Do not stack fillets. Brush top with juice.

Combine cheese, butter, mayonnaise, onions and seasonings. Mix well with fork.

Bake fish in preheated oven 10 to 20 minutes or until fish just starts to flake. Spread with cheese mixture and bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Baking time will depend on the thickness of the fish you use. Watch fish closely so that it does not overcook. Serves 2/

• glenda_al
    11 years ago

I having this for my Sunday lunch

Italian beans and sausage

12 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage
    Cooking spray
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 (19-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, drained
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
    Remove casings from sausage.
    Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic; saute 3 minutes. Add sausage, and cook 8 minutes, or until browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in oregano and remaining ingredients; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

• lindalou
    11 years ago

all of these recipes sound sooooo good. will definitely be making all of these. thanks, everyone for posting them. :)

• nicole__
    11 years ago

Rye hamburger rolls. I used them for sausage egg-a-muffins to give then a little bit of a grainy-nutty flavor.

2 cups all purpose flour
    1 cup rye flour
    1.5 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp molasses
    2 tsp white sugar
    1 pkg quick rise yeast
    1 1/4 cups water

Mix. Let rise for 1.5 hours. Roll out on a floured surface into a 2.5" thick roll. Cut into 12 pieces. Roll into a ball then flatten to 1/2". Place a dab of butter on the bottom of each roll before setting on a cookie sheet, then a dab of butter on the top of each bun. Let rise in a warm oven with a pan of water on a rack for 45 minutes. Bake at 375 for 14 minutes.

• patti43
    11 years ago

I made this cake yesterday and it is delicious. It doesn't really need icing, but I added it, using my sister's recipe that tastes just like a praline without the nuts. But a sprinkle of powdered sugar would be enough.

FRESH APPLE CAKE (Food Love Grace)

2 cups of sugar (or half white and half brown)
    1 3/4 cup of cooking oil
    3 large eggs
    2 teaspoons of vanilla
    2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
    2 teaspoons of cinnamon
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 cups fresh apples diced into really small pieces (do not cook)
    1 1/2 cups of nuts (optional)

Preheat oven 300F and grease a tube pan* (I just use Pam baking spray). Combine sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla mix until well combined with hand mixer. Mix flour and other dry ingredients together. Combine with first mixture, mix well. Add apples and beat with mixer for one minute. Stir in nuts. Bake in tube pan for 1 1/2 hours or until toothpick test comes out clean.

*I baked at 350 degrees in two 9" square pans and baked both at the same time for 25 minutes.

Caramel Frosting:

1/2 c. butter
    1 c. brown sugar
    1/4 c. milk
    1-1/3 to 2 c. powdered sugar

Melt butter and brown sugar over low heat for 2-3 minutes. Add milk, stirring until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and cool.

Add enough powdered sugar to form the right consistency to spread. Spread immediately on cooled cake.

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

Nicole, I think I will be trying those rolls! Just need to go get rye flour.

I was just given this recipe on Thursday, along with some of it to bring home. YUM!

Pumpkin Spread

1 small can solid pack pumkin
    1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix
    2 t. pumpkin pie spice
    1 small container of cool whip

Mix the first three ingredients together, then gently fold that mixture into the cool whip. Serve with cinnamon graham crackers.

I finished the container I was given, and am going to get the ingredients to make some more!

• patti43
    11 years ago

Tami, that spread is good with gingersnaps, too. Yum!

Next time I make Chinese food, I'm trying this:

SESAME-CUCUMBER SALAD (Williams-Sonoma)

4 English cucumbers
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1 Tbs. sugar
    1/2 cup rice vinegar
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    Scant 1 tsp. red chili flakes
    1 Tbs. sesame seeds
    6 green onions

Thinly slice the cucumbers crosswise. In a large bowl, combine the cucumbers, salt and sugar and toss to coat the cucumbers evenly. Let stand for 30 minutes. Transfer to a colander, rinse and drain well, then press out the excess moisture with your hands.

In a serving bowl, stir together the vinegar, garlic, chili flakes and sesame seeds. Add the cucumbers and toss to coat. Thinly slice the green onions, including the tender green portions, and sprinkle them over the top. Cover the salad and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours or up to overnight. Serve the salad cold. Serves 4 to 6.

• User
    11 years ago

WoW this thread is getting long, I almost didn't find it.
    I just came across these, so cute.

Mini ice cream cone cake pops

Here is a link that might be useful: mini ice cream cone cake pops

• patti43
    11 years ago

Chicken, bacon, apples--sounds good to me!

SLOW COOKER BACON-WRAPPED APPLE CHICKEN (Chef in Training)

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup BBQ sauce (like Sweet Baby Rays)
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/8 cup lemon juice fresh or from a bottle
    5 small apples peeled and chopped
    8 slices bacon

In a small bowl, combine BBQ sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice and peeled/chopped apples. Wrap each chicken breast with two slices of bacon and place in a greased slow cooker. Pour BBQ-apple mixture over chicken and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is done.

• glenda_al
    11 years ago

tami, I make that pumpkin dip a LOT!
    I use Snyder's multi grain pretzel twists, for dipping.

Recipe calls for the 16 oz cool whip container.

I generally halve the recipe.

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

Glenda, thanks for letting me know. My friend told me the small cool whip. Good thing I bought 2 of the small ones! I was thinking about going out and mixing it up. I have the munchies, even though we ate dinner about an hour and a half ago.

Nita, I just ran across that recipe. I think it's in a book I just got from the library. Sounds good!

• Nita__AZ
    11 years ago

This is a delicious sub sandwich. I have made this to take on day trips, it is so good and easy to make.

Sub Sandwich

1 loaf French bread, slice in half length wise and hollow out

Mix together:
    4 cloves garlic
    1/3 cup olive oil
    2 tbsp. Red wine vinegar
    Salt
    Pepper

Deli meats
    Salami
    Cheese
    Onion, sliced

Pour half dressing into bottom of bread. Put onions, meat, cheese and pour remaining sauce in the top of the bread and place on top of filling. Wrap and refrigerate 3 hours.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations