Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
have you frozen rhubarb?

Posted by kat__wa (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 23:21

Can I just cut it and freeze it? Do I need to blanch it?
hmmmm
I'll go look around, but y'all know so much! lol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: have you frozen rhubarb?

I've usually frozen cooked, sweetened rhubarb.

But I have blanched pieces for 30-60 seconds, drained, ice-bath-shocked, blotted dry, and frozen in a single layer on a sheet pan. I then divvy up into freezer bags in the portion sizes I use.

DH approves the method and says he can't tell the difference from freshly cooked. I don't like rhubarb, so I defer to his tastebuds, LOL.

o

I have frozen rhubarb and never blanched it. I just cut them into pieces and put them into baggies - usually 4 cups to a bag since that is what most pie recipes call for. Same for blueberries - into the freezer unwashed - 4 cups to a bag.

o

I do the same as cherryfizz: just cut in small pieces and freeze in zip lock type bags. I usually just use mine for pies, but most things you would use it in would be cooked, so should be fine.

o

Same here - I wash, cut into one inch or so pieces, freeze in a zip lock or vac seal, in the amount I would use it for my rhubarb dessert that everyone loves :) Measured and ready for me out of season.

No blanching, doesn't need it. I've used rhubarb frozen for as long as 18 months (did I mention dating the packages) and no one can tell the difference when baked into a product.
Manual defrost upright freezer, it wouldn't keep that long in my self defrosting refrigerator/freezer.

o

I do the exact same thing as Cherryfizz - it's so easy!!

o

I do it the same way and have for years. For work we put it in gallon zip lock bags. I pour as much as I need into a pie shell and put the rest of it back in the freezer. I get compliments on my rhubarb pie all of the time. No Blanching. I had never heard of this before but my DF told me they always peeled it. Not me

o

WEll, thank you ladies!
I have always peeled it too. Seemed like a waste.
I looked at a few cooking websites and most of
them said to not bother peeling it. And the pie
was GREAT! lol I've never made a rhubarb pie, just
crisps. The pie was great!

o

Looks like you got good answers, Kat - and they all agree (for a change?).

ole joyful

o

I've always frozen rhubarb as well, just like the others.
I haven't tried making a pie or crisp with it......I thought it might be too watery. Now that I know you can bake with frozen rhubarb I sure will in the future!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here