SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

Arghhh! Eyes dialaed at 2 and still dialated at 10pm

glenda_al
9 years ago

Good report on eye exam, but I don't think I remember my eyes being dialted this long. Not fun! Guess I'll sleep it off!

Comments (16)

• pekemom
    9 years ago

I went in to the eye Dr. last month and my eyes were dilated for the rest of the day, I don't remember it ever taking that long to wear off...

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not fun seeing BRIGHT everything.

• alisande
    9 years ago

I don't like those drops! My eyes seem to take a long time to get back to normal too. Get a good night's sleep, Glenda.

• pammyfay
    9 years ago

Getting mine worked on Wednesday. Hate the sting!

It used to be that they had another eyedrop that'd speed the reverse dilation process, but I was told by another ophthalmologist that it was a relatively expensive drop so it was discontinued (I don't know whether that means by the manufacturer or dr's offices didn't want to stock it anymore).

Lately, I've had to "sleep it off" and then go back to sleep again!

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

I find getting my eyes dilated is very painful. It's gotten to the point the doctor now puts some sort of local anesthesia drops in about 10 minutes before he dilates them. I'll ask him what it is next time I'm there. I'm overdue now.

The anesthesia really helps; it makes the process bearable, but it still takes longer for me to recover from the dilation than in the past.

I write-off the rest of the day, wear dark glasses, and keep all the lights and TV off in the house on eye-check days now.

• lindaohnowga
    9 years ago

The older I get the longer it takes for the eyes to return to normal. That stuff they use feels like "glue" in the eyes. It takes until the next morning for my eyes to return to normal. I hope your eyes are back to normal this morning Glenda and glad your report was good.

• socks
    9 years ago

It's good to have a late-in-the-day appointment when having eyes dilated. Then you can go home and in a few hours to bed. Yes, it takes many hours for the eyes to re-set. Once I was given some reversal drops, but I don't know what happened to that because they never offered it to me again.

Glad you had a good check-up, Glenda! That's the most important thing, and you should be nearly back to normal this morning.

This post was edited by socks12345 on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 9:41

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    9 years ago

At least I can see to spell correctly :o)

• lindyluwho
    9 years ago

I have had the reversal drops before and they were great. Then they quit using them for some reason. They made life a lot easier. Probably why they quit using them.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

They don't do the reversal drops any more? Bummer. I'm past due for an eye exam, party because my ophthalmologist is 100 miles away and I like him but not the drive, traffic in Seattle any more. I haven't looked into anyone closer.

But because 100 miles away and I'm driving, wanting to make a stop or two, get some lunch, I've always said yes to the reversal drops. Not that I'm not bleary and red eyed the rest of the day but at least I can see...price tags, my watch, what kind of money I'm handing someone ;)

I need to renew my drivers license in a couple of weeks, for the first time I'm wondering about the vision test. Feeling like my vision has changed in about the last year, both distance and close up.

• marie_ndcal
    9 years ago

I too have had the drops take longer to wear off and they are stronger. I asked why they did away with the reversal drops and got various answers--too expensive, side effects, etc. I don't agree with the answers.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got a great report, and still only need reading glasses, non prescription. So my Dollar Tree 2.50 glass are still working. That's all I need!

Yea!

• dorothy_oahu
    9 years ago

That's why I always get an afternoon appointment. I have to go to the opthomoligist every 4 months because of the diabets (61 years now). I've never had good vision in my left eye and have worn glasses since I was seven. I'm sure I needed them before that but no one noticed that I had a lazy eye. Now I am legally blind in that eye.

My vision is getting worse this year and on my last visit 4 months ago the dr. said I had the beginning of macular degeneration my my right eye. He told lme to start taking PreserVision AREDS 2. It's llthe latest recommended eye vitamin and minerall supplement for age related eye disease.

• joann_fl
    9 years ago

I don't let them do it.

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

Several years back I had laser eye surgery. During the pre-surgery appointments they need to create a detailed map your existing vision, so that they know exactly where and what to do to make your vision as good as possible, determining the amount of near-sightedness, astigmatism, as well as other lesser vision problems that normally cannot be corrected.

To accomplish this detailed mapping, though they need to ensure that your eye isn't trying to focus, which would throw off the measurements they are trying to make. So they use an even stronger version of the dilation medicine, that not only dilates the iris, but it numbs the muscles that control the focusing of the lens. I asked at the end of that appointment, how long the medication takes to wear off, the nurse/receptionist lady laughed saying "oh, about three days". I thought she was joking.

The next morning I called in slightly panicked because my eyes were still dilated, and was told "No that's normal. It takes about three days to wear off"

• tami_ohio
    9 years ago

I am very light sensitive all the time. It takes a full day and night for the drops to wear off for me. For my last exam in April I went to Americas Best. My insurance pays only about $45 so it's not worth much. They had a free exam with purchase of 2 pair @ $69 plus lenses. My nieces go there good referral as one is in the medical field, so I thought it was worth the try. I called ahead to check on the details. I could have my eyes dialated if I chose but I was at necessary. I could also choose to pay an additional $15 for a more I depth exam which I did. I felt I had a very thorough exam and talked to the dr about any concerns I had especially being diabetic.

If you have blue eyes your eyes are more light sensitive than brown eyes according to any eye dr I have talked to about it.

I'm glad you had a good exam Glenda and hope you are seeing better in bright light by now.