SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazypup

Emergerncy info in your disaster bailout kit

lazypup
11 years ago

In recent weeks there have been many posts concerning how to make preparations in case we have to evacuate our homes as a result of hurricanes, tornados, wildfires, floods, etcetera, and in each post ppl always suggest methods to carry or otherwise safeguard our important papers.

The problem is that if we hand carry those documents there is a very high risk that they can be lost or stolen but if we leave them in the house they can be destroyed by wind, fire or flood, so the question is, what to do?

I have hit upon a solution:

I scan all the documents to my computer in JPEG format, then I arrange them in files in the same manner as I sort my photos.

By example,

Under my name I have files marked:

"Personal ID" and it has my Birth certificate, Drivers license and the personal information page of my passport.

"Military Records"..Both of my "Honorable Discharge Wall certificates", both of the DD-214 discharge papers.

"Education"- HS Diploma, all 9 college & technical school diplomas and my ham radio license.

Then I have a file for the house:

The deed & land title, the Mortgage, Homeowners insurance documents and a series of photos showing all four views to document the condition of the exterior of the house plus additional photos to document any special improvements inside.

Vehicles: A separate file for each vehicle: Title, registration, and photos from all views.

Once I had all the documents on the computer it was easy to print a hard copy for file in my home safe.

I then copied all the files onto a 4GB thumb drive that is attached to a landyard

I have all the original documents safely filed away in a safe deposit box at the bank, and I have hard copies on hand in our home safe for those occasions when I only need a copy to show someone.

If it becomes necessary to leave the house I can simply hang the thumb drive around my neck on the landyard and I have all the records sealed in a compact water tight container and if i need to produce a copy all I have to do is plug the thumb drive into a computer, pull up the file and print the document.

Now here is another idea for those of you who have children or if you have grandchildren you might pass this on to their parents. God forbid that one of our children should ever go missing, but in the event that should happen one of the keys to their successful return is how efficient the information you can provide the police, so they have something to begin looking for. Having once been through the agony of loosing a child I can tell you first hand that it is difficult to keep your wits about you to provide the necessary info to the police, so I have designed a form which the parents can fill out about one every year or two and keep it on file. Then if one of the children goes missing you can just pass the form on to the police to get them started.

Comments (7)