SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitykat44

standing ovations - overdone?

kitykat
9 years ago

We attended a dinner theater performance (a musical) with professional (unknown) actors. It was nicely done. Seven piece band, nine performers. Music, costumes, voices, choreography, staging... all well done. It was an enjoyable experience. Oh, and the audience makeup was older, mostly certainly past retirement age... lots of silver hair!

At the close of the final song, some people in the front immediately rose for a standing ovation. I observed others close by hesitating, then rising as well. Slowly, more of the audience followed suit, until more than half were on their feet.

Now, this was a good show... good, not great, not superlative, not 'blow-you-away' stupendous. However, I see this occur regularly, anymore. It's like people think this is proper conduct following ANY performance, and sound applause is not enough. Also, if there is an encore of some sort, these standing people totally block the view of those remaining seated.

I can readily understand this behavior when attending children's performances, preschool through high school. Whether you are parent, another relative or close friend, there is an attachment, and a greater demonstration of appreciation is warranted.

But this every-time standing O, for any sort of performance, has me wondering. Are people overjoyed that easily, or do they simply not know better?????

Comments (8)