Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Internet scavenger hunt anyone?

Posted by janie_ga (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 21:26

I have the metal frame TV trays with the fake wood grain pressboard top. I want to make new tops out of actual wood and use the metal legs.... I HATE wood TV trays- all of them I have found are not sturdy and the surface is rather small.

I cannot find the plastic clips that are on the bottom of my tray tops. I have tried to find anything similar but no lock- and asking the young guy at Lowe's did not even know they ever made anything other than wood trays.

Well, I did find some sort of supplier on the internet but they only sold the clips in set of about 2,000 and would not tell me who they sell to...

Anyone know where I can find the clips, I have looked off and on for about 6 months.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Internet scavenger hunt anyone?

Just curious, why actual wood instead of some sort of plastic. How would you protect it and keep it clean? I am not being critical, just curious.

o

Could you use metal clips instead?? I'm guessing that there's no way of removing yours without breaking the plastic.

Can you buy metal clips? Or maybe a set of tv trays from Craigslist specifying metal clips. Remove them and fasten to your wooden top.

o

look for anothr set then swap them out

o

Craig's list and Freecycle in my area "leave a LOT to be desired"- almost all of it is dorm-room stuff that barely survived the school year.

Metal ones would be fine... closest thing I have found are the clips used to secure water pipes to rafters but those require screws on both sides so they would not pop on and off like tv tray clips.

Marie, I thought about wood for two reasons- 1- I already have some that would work well so no buying anything new. 2- it can be scrubbed once I have put several layers of varnish protection on it for protection. My mom suggested I just cover my current ones in contact paper but that would not hold up well plus contact paper is expensive! LOL

What kind of plastic were you thinking about? If it can be cut with a jigsaw I am open to ideas. I also thought about getting metal trays but would still have the problem of the need for clips.

Based on conversations I have had with people my age (39) and older... if I could solve this problem, I could make a mint on redoing everyone else's trays. My mother-in-law is down to two and her sister only has one left. I think I have 8 sets of legs and 6 tops but the tops just look gross.

o

I would find some used trays an take off the clips.

o

I think you can buy them at Fastenal stores. They come in different sizes, so you need to measure your tubing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fastenal

o

I'm sorry, but what is a tv tray and how do you use them?

o

I have 3 of those trays. Would love some wood ones, but don't use them enough to justify getting new ones. My old ones are holding up well.
My Grandkids like to use them.

o

Yes, I'd bet that Fastenal has something that will work perfectly. I'd take a tray in to assure getting the right hardware.

I'm sorry, but what is a tv tray and how do you use them?
See pic at link below.

From Wikipedia
TV tray tables became popular in the 1950s as a way to hold food and beverage items while watching TV, the iconic item being a TV dinner. National advertising for TV tray tables first appeared in 1952, a full year before Swanson introduced the TV dinner in October 1953. A set of four TV tables were sometimes sold mounted on a small rack where they could be hung when not in use. This rack was popularly placed in a corner of the living room.[1]

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage metal TV trays.

o

I remember in the 60's, every Sunday night we ate in the LR and watched the show "The FBI" with Ephram Zimbalist(sp). My dad loved that show. And yes, we had a set of TV trays. I wish I had one now for craft projects, I could use more space next to where I sit on the sofa and do handwork at night.

o

Of course, I remember seeing those, although we never had them. We always ate at the table. I can see how they might be handy.

o

I've used them to put a bunch of small plants on. They are handy for many things.

Now that you mention it, I think the wooden ones are too small as well. We bring them out each year at Christmas etc, when we serve ourselves buffet style, then eat in the family room.

o

dedtired, a tv tray is something you might eat on while watching tv, then put away. Or just store some things on, do a puzzle or set your laptop on.

o

janie they have some great metal spray paints...a light sanding to remove any rust, and you're ready...rustoleum brand is good...

o

You can usually find those on wood working sites and stores, if you have a woodcrafters store around you check there.

How ever all of the wood ones that I have do not use those clamps they have an enclosed slid mechanism that allows the bar that slides across the under side to lock in place. You can easily make this type with a few sections of wood and wood screws.
Here's a link to several sites with plans and you tube video.
My husband does wood working and has made them.

We have started using the bigger trays that have the adjustable height legs and they do clamp in very securely. I just bought 2 new ones for the rv at camping world they were $17 each, they have them at big Lots, walmart and Costco too. I love how the legs are made so that you can slide it in right up to you.
They are called Lifetime personal folding table you can Google that.
Here it is at walmart
http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/20690055?adid=1500000000000012981640&veh=mweb

Here is a link that might be useful: Links

o

Oppps

Here is a link that might be useful: Walmart link

o

Flamingo, thanks! I have to take a picture of the clips and email them to the guy at the company, he said he would see what they have that might work.

Raven, I did not even think about doing that! I was so stuck on needing the clips. Wonder what I could do to make the legs not close back together as easily as they do on the wooden ones. We usually have one tray open all the time and the cats tend to use it to walk between the couch and chair even though they get yelled out for climbing on it.

o

Put a little toggle that flips in and locks the legs in place so basically a little square of wood with a screw in the middle that let's you move it back and forth, when the legs are slid into place and open the toggle moves forward and locks it in, you could use a thumb screw too so you could tighten it.
I wish I could draw on here lol!
Am I making sense? Or even easier screw 2 pieces of velco under there that lock in.

o

Tavencajun, it makes perfect sense to me. I will post a picture when I can get one made

o

Good luck, Janie! Hope you get the clips you want.

o

this is what I used good luck. these sites making you jump thru hoops just to help people are annoying for sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: google search for tv tray clips alternative pole holding

o

Since you're making a wooden top, wouldn't you be able to use the folding legs with the moving pair that have the metal going across, which the clamps hooked on to, if you screwed a piece of quarter round or another small strip of wood along the edge of the far side of the tray, that the cross bar could sit against?

It wouldn't be clamped in place, as with the thin original trays, but you'd seldom knock the tray hard enough that it would dislodge the metal crossbar from the wooden strip along the edge of the tray, I think.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here