SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittiemom

Contacting Someone from Your Past

kittiemom
9 years ago

Saturday while cleaning out my dad's attic, I came across something completely unexpected - photos of my first love and me and the cards and letters I received from him.

We met the fall of my freshman year of college when he was visiting campus. He had attended there a year earlier but had left for a semester. It was love at first sight and we almost got married despite our parents opinions.

It was a nasty breakup, with fault on both sides. John turned into a real jerk for a while as we at least made an attempt to sort things out. His behavior during this time also caused him to lose several friends. He sent me me a final letter after the breakup, but I never responded back. He wanted me to forgive him, but at 18 I just couldn't quite manage that.

I had buried these memories very deeply but have been thinking since Saturday about contacting him. I've considered it a few times over the years but have never done so. A few years ago, a mutual friend told me that John had finally achieved his dream of becoming a minister. I'm happy for him and would like to tell him so. I know how badly he wanted this and he didn't have a direct career path out of college to the ministry as he'd hoped. I'd also like to tell him that even though it's been many years, that I got that final letter and am willing to forgive him as he asked.

I'm not sure if I should do this or if so, what to say.

This post was edited by kittiemom on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 7:32

Comments (34)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio