Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Robin Williams Dead, Apparant Suicide

Posted by sylviatexas (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 19:25

sorry, can't seem to post a link.

His wife said that he had been severely depressed & asked for privacy & for everyone to remember his life & work rather than focus on his death.

heartbreaking.

Happy Trails, Mrs Doubtfire, Peter Pan...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Robin Williams Dead, Apparant Suicide

See if this works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Los Angeles Times : Robin Williams Death

o

What a sad surprise.

o

How sad. The LA coroner said preliminary investigation suggests asphyxia, but further states that they will await autopsy results to determine the cause of death.

Here is a link that might be useful: ABC News for actor Robin Williams' death

o

This is so tragic; he made so many delightful movies....both serious and funny. I always felt that he was a tragic figure.

o

So, so many talented and intelligent people fighting their own demons. It no longer surprises me, just makes me sad.

o

News report says he was discovered in his Tiburon home. That's Marin County, across the bay to the north of San Francisco. Not near LA.

Sad news all the same.

o

Sad!!!

o

"O captain, my captain" -- who can ever forget that wonderful role he played in Dead Poet's Society.

o

He was great in the serious roll he played in Good Will Hunting. And don't forget Mork and Mindy, nanu nanu.

It's just a rotten shame. I hope he has found peace now, and hope his family can heal.

o

It is a very sad situation. Perhaps he suffered from illness and pain along with his depression. He had severe rheumatoid arthritis, it can easily be seen in the picture of him holding the award in the link posted above. He walked somewhat hunched like a person experiencing that kind of pain.
It is terrible that he chose to take this path.
RIP

We are all so much richer from his talent which he shared so freely.

o

My heart breaks that this comedic genius who so entertained us, so much laughter, apparently felt so despondent. Tragic.

He was in rehab about a month ago. And seems like I saw that he had his house for sale not so long ago, too.

He will be missed.

Many, many thanks, Robin. RIP.

This post was edited by eclair on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 21:03

o

RIP Robin. You brought so much joy to so many. You will be greatly missed!

o

Very sad news....

o

What a great loss!

o

I was stunned when I heard it. Such a great performer & actor. Thanks
for the laughs thru the years Robin Williams. Rest in Peace.

o

so very saddened by this news..........

o

I was really sad to hear this yesterday. I can think of million parts he played I really loved. Genie in Aladdin was so much fun! Jakob in Jakob the Liar, touching. I could go on forever. Such kind joviality came across. Someone someplace else said they saw the sadness behind his eyes. I agree. You could tell. Seemed to me that Mrs. Doubtfire hit home with him when he was portraying her. I'll never forget him.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jakob the Liar-rent it if you've never seen it

o

What a tragic loss. He was so talented. May he RIP

o

He hung himself in the house - not the garage - the house.

May the angels sirens place him at peace and happiness.

o

Someone posted a personal story about him in the Home Decor forum. So many in the business have nothing but the highest praise for his humanity.

o

Heartbreaking. Even more heartbreaking that, even with all the medical and financial resources available to him, it wasn't able to save him.

o

elcair - I saw an interview with Mr. Williams - just before the short-lived sit-com with Sarah Michelle-Geller premiered.

He was asked about putting his house up for sale and admitted that he could no longer afford to maintain it - and that he had taken the role in the sit-com rather than taking his comedy act on the road.

I suspect that his financial situation, together with his depression contributed to his suicide.

I know that he funded many causes over the years and I doubted he expected to find himself in a precarious financial situation at 63. I did read that he help support Christopher Reeve after he had his accident - I know how much that would have cost him.

I am not a fan of comedy, but most definitely did enjoy Mr. Williams' acting in dramatic roles such as Good Will Hunting, The Awakening, etc.

I hope that he is now at peace.

o

Stories say he started drugging early on. After that, for many, it's just a matter of when, not if.

We need to notice when a child is not just 'sad for good cause', but *depressed*. Notice the motivation for a kid who is a 'performer'. Treat any underlying lack of self worth or depression before the child begins to dull the pain with alcohol and drugs.

Regardless of his wishes, you do not leave a suicidal person alone. He may find a way to be alone, but you don't facilitate it.

Years after I knew him in junior high, the president of a national conglomerate checked himself out of his latest alcohol rehab, sent his youngest off to school, and put a gun in his mouth.

"Success" is possibly the worst pressure for a depressed person to handle. You can be 'dancing as fast as you can', garnering praise all around, but if you can't love your Self, it's just a matter of time.

o

I saw the news just as I was logging off last night. Shocked and saddened. I loved his comedy.

Just goes to show that many people who laugh on the outside may be sad on the inside.
Robin is making the angels laugh as we speak.

SamKaren
your resident DJ

o

I heard of it last night, this morning there were tributes on the radio, and at noon during province-wide phone-in, several said that on meeting him, he was friendly and congenial, as we saw in his professional portrayal, and a humble, regular person, as well.

One man said that at a trade show in Vancouver, he'd asked whether he could take a picture of their robot, and readily agreed not to use it for commercial purposes, plus spent a few minutes in their display quietly talking, with a bit of humour, as well, I think he said.

One lady said that she was so impressed with Morph and Mindy that she named her daughter Mindy ... and considered Morph for her son, but eventually decided against that.

It seems that he was scarcely ever miserable, irascible or mean in public, but maintained the black hole entirely for private consideration.

One person with experience in the field, the resource guest, said that sometimes it seems that such issues often go along with great capabilities and creative talents, that extra channels of capabilities in such brains tend sometimes to be operational in the dark side, as well.

What a tragedy ... that he, who brought so much fun and laughter to many, helping them see the bright side of life ...

... could not find such for himself.

The story that I heard was that he'd jammed a belt between a door and its jamb in his bedroom ... and that there was a knife nearby, with blood, as well.

What a great shame!

Hopefully, this will help us take our mental health more seriously, on the one hand.

And remove the stigma from it, as well. Illness is ... illness.

ole joyful ... whose Mom, shortly after birth of final son, was in mental hospital, died there (of TB)

o

Tonight on 20-20 is the life and death of Robin Williams, 9 central time.

o

Sad, shy little boy, as can be seen in his primary school class photo. (Story in today's Chicago Tribune.) You don't have to be a psychiatrist to see the anxiety.

o

According to Yahoo, his daughter has closed her Twitter account because of all nasty negative things being said about her father - so many sickos in this world - kicking people when they are down... Karma is all I can say - Samkaren said it right... the angels are laughing up there right now because of Mr. Williams. I hope you find peace, Robin Williams and finally know how much we all loved you...

o

I wish the media would stop quoting what some script writer wrote for a character as though the words were Williams' personal feelings.

I see the same deliberate confusion with Lauren Bacall. The actress was reciting what was written for her character when she said the "just whistle" lines.

o

His wife said that he had been diagnosed with early stage Parkinson disease...that must have just added to his grief...Even news reporters calling him things like coward...what is this world coming to, with no respect for his family and children...I am glad at least that Fox reporter was forced to apologize...

o

To a brilliant Warrior ,who fought a heroic battle, may you Rest in Peace.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here