Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
interest calculation question

Posted by susan_on (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 18:36

I am not very good at math at all, but I have a math question related to calculating interest on a loan.

If someone is borrowing $12,000; and plans to pay it back at approx $200 a month, plus 1% interest... how much would the payments be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: interest calculation question

You're missing a key component. How many months worth of payments????

o

For around $205 a month, the payments would be for six years at 1% imterest. Not my figures...I had to ask, too! LOL

o

For around $205 a month, the payments would be for six years at 1% imterest. Not my figures...I had to ask, too! LOL

o

Payments would be $205.12 for 60 months (5 years).

o

Is the interest simple interest ($12000 x 1% = $12120 owed) or compound interest (1% added to the monthly balance once the payment is made)?

Ellen

o

Whatever is in the best interest of the person I'm loaning it to...

It looks like I'll go with the $205 for 60 months. Thanks ladies!

o

Susan, you can find amortizstion schedules on-line that you can print out for you and the person you are lending to. It shows month-to-month the exact amount left on the loan, should the person decided to pay it off early.

Just google it--there are different ones. Just put in your information, then scroll down to the schedule. Pretty nifty!

o

That should be amortization--sorry!

o

well, look what the cat drug in! Long time no see on the
KT! IT's about time! lol Oh, I thought you were

GIVING me the money! lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here