Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Totem for my sister

Posted by ravencajun (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 18:28

I just made this totem for one of my sisters, she loves those colors and I made it a bird bath because she has a beautiful courtyard garden at her home in Louisiana, it has a fountain and a lovely Koi pond, but no bird bath so now she has one.
I bought the top bowl piece, I couldn't resist it even though it was much more than I would normally pay. It is hard decorated by artisans in Tuscany, Italy. The glittering effects are awesome.

I will be making a completely different one for the other sister.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Totem for my sister

o

One more

o

Trying to get the sparkling

o

Inside the bowl

o

Beautiful! Too pretty to put outside, maybe inside with some artificial water and birds?

o

I love that top bowl! That is striking.

o

That bowl is beautiful

o

Beautiful...you inspire me :o)

o

Wow! That's beautiful, Raven.
Would it be too sparkly for the birds? Will it deter them from drinking out of it I wonder.

o

That is just too pretty. She should love it. The color
is great!

o

Great job! Love the whole piece. Lucky sister.

o

It's all so pretty--I really like the bottom section. Did you put the "jewels" on or did it come that way? She will be thrilled with it.

o

raven on the top piece did it have any caution about useage? sometimes the awesome color change is caused by lead...and can leach into food and i presume water?

even if it's for decoration only, once again you've created a lovely piece...

i'm c/p and sending this to my stained glass pal...

o

Very pretty.

o

All of the painting and decoration are from the outside so only glass on inside and it is food safe. I wouldn't think the sparkling will bother the birds since water itself can be quite reflective and sparkly.
I think she will be happy.
I did add the jewels, I found some that have streaks of the orange color through them, like the old cat eye marbles.

o

Here's a question I ask out of ignorance...is that GORGEOUS bowl safe for edibles (or drinking water for birds)? Doesn't some glassware leach toxins and can't be used for food?

o

As I said it is labeled food safe there's no decoration or paint on the inside of the bowl it's all on the outside and viewable through the clear glass of the inside. Inside is strictly regular glass.

o

Awesome, she will love it.

o

raven had posted it to show a pal who's into stained glass and this is what she posted, lol maybe you should go into business??not quite sure where yellow springs is..she lives in cinci oh, but has gone on that 600 mile yard sale, too...of course she loved yours...

"Saw some In yellow springs. Larger pieces were big bucks! As in $1000 's".

o

wow I have never sold any I have given all of mine away. I have some I kept for myself also. I have a lot of glass to make more I just got busy there for a while and quit.
I will be making one for my other sister and a small one for my mother that will have a vase on top so I can give it to her for her 90th birthday on Aug 24 with her fave roses in it. then one for my mother in law who turns 90 on Sept 21! I already made one for my friend and neighbor who will turn 90 on Sept 1st. that is a lot of 90 yr olds lol. I hope they keep on keeping on for many more years too.

I need to sell a few to keep me in glass to feed my habit now!

o

Really very beautiful! You did a great job on it.

o

Sounds like you might have a fairly lucrative "cottage industry" going, if you want it to, Raven. :-D

o

very nice Raven. That bowl is gorgeous!
Your sister will love it!

o

Holy cow, I LOVE it! I adore the sparkles.

o

VERY pretty!

o

So pretty!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here