Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My new flowerbed.

Posted by kittywhiskers (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 18:26

I just finished making this today. It will look better in the spring with new growth instead of the old dying leaves. I will cut them back in Oct.
Kittywhiskers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My new flowerbed.

Neat!

o

Looks great. A new way to use tires.

o

I hope it keeps the grass out. I put double thickness of weed barrier on the bottom of the tires.
The tall thing in the middle is my forsythia bush.
Kittywhiskers

o

Now that's recycling at its best.

o

Cool! Are those irises in the tires?
I once saw a pic on the web of a "wall" of tires, stacked & offset only 2-3 high, that were painted multi bright colors with flowers planted in them. It was well done too. Here's a pic of one:

Here is a link that might be useful: Tires as flower pots

o

looks good and I like the colors

o

BeeOHIO that is sort of like the one that I got my idea from. Yes they are iris. I had them planted right where the tires are now but they were so full of grass that I was afraid they were going to die out.
Kittywhiskers

o

Kittywhiskers, If you dug up and replanted the irises, I would go ahead and trim the leaves back now. I wouldn't wait until Oct. I love your new flowerbeds. Hopefully it will keep the grass out, but sometime I think I am growing grass and the iris just pop up around them. I just dug an entire bed of over 300 irises, just to get the weeds out! Now I have the huge task of replanting them in the next couple of days.

o

Littlebit, is it ok to go ahead & cut back the iris leaves now, even if you haven't dug up/replanted them? I have some that I would like to go ahead & cut off it won't affect next yrs bloom.

o

Oh, the cats will love it!

o

Yes, they will be okay to cut back..I usually cut mine to about 4" from the rhizome..Did you leave a bit of the rhizome's top uncovered? They like their little "heads" bare. ;) They flower better...

o

Very nice.

o

Very nice.

o

What a neat idea! I'm not much of a gardener but that's a great way to bring interest to a simple garden. (I'm not saying yours is simple I'm just saying for added interest to my simple garden)

o

Very pretty!

o

I just saw this done..it's so colorful and recycling, too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here