Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More old family photographs -- add yours!

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 17:56

I'm still scanning my dad's negatives and older family prints (I've been at this for three years now, maybe longer). I post one every day on Facebook, but haven't shared here in awhile. Here are some recent finds. I look forward to seeing yours!

My father's sister, Estaire. We called her Babe.

My grandfather, Harry Luckstone. I'm guessing the costume is from "Carmen."

My dad with his sister

My grandmother, Alice Campbell Luckstone, looking spiffy. She always looked spiffy. :-)

My mom in the surf

At my christening with my godparents

A little later, when I was old enough to drink

The "girl with dog" portrait gone awry

My mom with me as a newborn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More old family photographs -- add yours!

This is my great grandparents with 3 daughters. My great grandfather was not in the picture - darn.

o

Great pictures! I don't have any old ones on this computer and I need to scan a bunch!

o

Love your pictures, Susan. This was my parents' wedding picture.

o

I love looking at old photos as well, anyone's, anytime. Thanks for posting them!

o

From my maternal side of the family. Counter-clockwise, from lower right: My aunt, grandmother, great-grandmother, and great-great-grandmother. Circa 1911.

o

Love all the old photographs!! I may mess with the new scanner tomorrow and see if I can figure out how to share some.

o

This was probably taken in the early 1900s. The woman on the left is my GG Grandmother on my father's side, Sinrock Mary, Reindeer Queen. Once the richest woman in all of Alaska. Not exactly sure who the two guys are.

Jodi-

o

Jodi,

I found this, how very interesting.

Stacie

Here is a link that might be useful: Documentary of Sinrock Mary the Reindeer queen

o

My maternal grandparents on their 50th wedding anniversary.

o

Mariedeane, pretty cool huh? I have a copy of the video.

12 years ago a couple Alaska historians helped me do research on Mary. One of them (an Inupiat Eskimo like Mary) called me and put his mother on the phone who actually knew Mary. It was a delight to talk to her. The other historian I found on Facebook and we met up at the 2009 Iditarod sled dog race to Nome.

Jodi-

o

Me, bottle feeding an orphan lamb. The windmill behind me is still here.

Ron

o

And another, my great uncle Glenn with his brand new Edsel.

Ron

o

Love the stories and pictures

o

Ron, Uncle Glenn looks as though he just figured out how much the car payments are going to be.

You were such a cute (and deceptively sweet) little boy!

Donna, your picture didn't open for me. :-(

Jodi, I always love hearing about your illustrious ancestor! Are you still looking for info on her? Be sure to share if you get any.

Lindsey, how lucky you are to have a photo that goes so far back. Except for one photo of my maternal great-grandmother, I have no idea what that generation looked like. And certainly not the previous one.

Pam, that's a lovely wedding picture. I took a stab at getting the pink out. Hope you don't mind.

o

White River at Des Arc, Arkansas. Don't know what year this was, but I do know tht my daddy said that people were driving cars on ice across the river one winter. He didn't remember it, but he was born in 1917.

o

Ooops! Sorry, didn't realize that you specified family photos. Just like a teacher to not read directions clearly! LOL

o

This is me, on the left, and a friend when we were about 12. We were sporting pouty faces for some silly reason, lol. Love those jeans!

o

Forgot to say, that was about 55 years ago!

o

Not to worry, Ya-Ya--we enjoy all pictures!

Jae, you two look alike. Or maybe it's the hair. Love the "hats!"

o

I don't know what happened to that picture it wouldn't open, I'm not too savvy about these things. I love all the pictures. Alisande that newborn picture with your Mom, you look like a doll, not a baby. lol.

o

Susan, Thanks for depinking. My mother was Catholic but my father wasn't so they had to get married in the rectory. Isn't that outrageous?

o

It is outrageous, and I remember similar rules from when I was young. I hope things have changed since then.

o

Thank you for this opportunity to remember my Mom and Dad. They died in November 2010 seven days apart from one another - their headstone in the Military Cemetary reads "Together Forever". Here is their wedding picture from 1945, just immediately before my Dad went overseas in WWII. My Mom's neighbors all saved their coupons to buy meat for the wedding reception at my grandmother's house in Yonkers, NY. Don't know how they paid for the liquor, but it was an Irish wedding and so I know there was some!

o

A photo made in the early days of photography of my g-g-grandmother, Phoebe (McCoy) Brown.

This image was taken from a small tin type about 2" x 3". It is friction fitted into a wood frame and trimmed with a copper bezel. There is evidence that this is only half of the frame. Presuemable, another wood box the same size had been attached with cloth hinges and may have held a second photo. The two boxes could be folded shut and held closed with a hook.

Phoebe McCoy was born in Burke Co., NC. Her mother was a Franklin who descended from the Franklins of NJ. Phoebe's father, Hugh McCoy supposed he had property coming to him back in Scotland and embarked on a voyage to his homeland. He and the ship was never heard of again. The family supposed he had been lost at sea. After the Revolutionay War, the Franklin(s) with Phoebe's mother and siblings in tow arrived near Winchsester, TN ca 1807. Phoebe's mother married for the second time. Phoebe met and married John Brown who also had been taken from NC to Franklin Co, TN from NC. They began a family and then southern Illinois opened for settlement. In 1828, John and Phoebe (McCoy) Bown removed to near Parkersburg, Richland Co, IL. (Richland co. did not exist at that time and was organized in 1841.) Two years later, they settled on an abondanded claim in Decker township of present day Richland Co., IL. From 1836 to 1839, John patented land in Decker township. By 1840, much of the desireable farmland had been claimed and John Brown, seeking another location, made a trip to Missouri. He was never heard of again. The family's last contact was a letter posted in St. Louis. One son supposed he was killed by Native Americans and anothe son thought he might have been felled by disease. There were many ways a man could be killed on the frontier.

Phoebe (McCoy) Brown had met disaster again with the loss of her husband. She continued to live on the family lands with her adult children. She died on Christmas Day, ca 1876, while visiting her married daughter in Edwards Co., IL.

Phoebe was born before photography existed, but she lived long enough to sit for a portrait. Based on her apparent age in the photo and the circumstances of her story, my best guess is this photo was made in a studio at Olney, IL.

o

My parents on their wedding day, June 14th, 1919, my Dad had just returned from WW1.

o

Here are my parents 50 years later celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary.

o

Jemdandy- fascinating. I live one hour from Olney. Small world.

o

Glad you got your pictures working, Donna. Your parents' wedding, coinciding with your father's return from the war, must have felt somewhat different (at least internally) from Woodie's parents' wedding, as theirs took place just before his dad shipped out to join another war.

Both wedding pictures are charming. The 1919 clothing was quite different from ours! I'm thinking his uniform doesn't look very comfortable. And Woodie, your mom looks Irish for sure. I love that the neighbors saved their meat coupons for the wedding. I grew up in an Irish neighborhood in NYC, and I could easily see that happening. Your mom had such a tiny waist . . . the neighbors knew she wouldn't eat much. LOL

Jemdandy, how did you learn so much about your g-g-grandmother? Interesting! She looks so at peace in that photo.

o

Pssst, Alisande, I'm a girl - my screen name Woodie came about because of our old wooden boat :)
My Mom weighed 98 pounds when she got married.
And BTW I'm pretty sure that I remember you from Cooking - didn't you used to post over there many moons ago?

o

Sorry, Woodie! I've never posted regularly on Cooking, mostly because by the time I found GardenWeb I was cooking only for myself and had lost a lot of cooking enthusiasm. At one time I posted a lot on Grieving, and when I did my remodel (2002-2003) I spent a great deal of time at Kitchens, Appliances, Home Decor, etc. Over the years I've posted often on many of the gardening forums: roses, hydrangeas, iris, container gardens, and on and on. Maybe you saw me at one of those.

Boy, no wonder my son tells me I spend too much time at the computer.....

o

My Dad and Mom on the left and Aunt and Uncle on the right in 1948 when both couples were dating. The 2 men are brothers, their future wives are/were Della Mae and Donna Mae.

Note to Susan: that deceptively sweet look has paved the way for some real shenagians, re Facebook note: Perspective.

Ron

o
family photographs

Ooops - well this old brain of mine gets mixed up sometimes - guess I've seen you around the GW in other places - I've visited plenty of other forums as well, and still do. I've been a member since 2002.

o

Ron, I was surprised to see that sweet face because I read your FB piece a few days ago. ;-)

Della and Donna weren't sisters? Quite the coincidence in names!

o

My parents and I in the summer of 1960.

o

Aw......how sweet is that!! Were you the first baby, Nodakgal? Any more after you?

o

Yes Alisande, I am the oldest of 5.

o

You are lucky!

PS: I think we should bring back head scarves.

o

Head scarves were a necessity for women when they rode in horse drawn carriages and buggies. The use of scarves contined for riding in open topped Model T Fords and other vehicles. From 1910 to 1920, tops on auto bodies became more popular. The 1920 saw further hard enclosure of the passenger space followed by means to heat that space in cold weather. The transition to hard topped passenger space and improved heaters were nearly complete by 1935. It is my theory that the popularity of head scarves fell as enclosed passenger space improved in automobiles.

Head scarves were still popular in the 1950s and 1960s if m'lady knew she was going for a ride in a convertible.

o

I always grin when I see that picture! I'm not sure if this was on Grandpa and Grandma's farm or what. The bandana makes me think so. Grandpa carried them as hanky's and Grandma had them over her hair when she had pin curls in it.

o

Nodakgal, you sure look like a much-loved baby. Love that picture.

Jemdandy, I just love your gggm. I think it's the first time I've ever seen a really old picture where the subject was actually smiling.

o

alisande asked in regard to my Phoebe McCoy:

"Jemdandy, how did you learn so much about your g-g-grandmother? Interesting! She looks so at peace in that photo."

After I inherited her photo, I did some serious research on her. My break-through came when I traveled to the city library of Winchester, TN in the county where her mother eventually arrived with the Franklin(s). I found a well reserched article by another genealogist that gave me the lead on the origin of her parents in NJ. The best information of all was how and when Jemima (mother of Phoebe) met her husband-to-be and his correct name, Hugh McCoy. The story continues below:

It was during the Revolutionary War. Hugh McCoy, a Scotsman, was not a military man and had gone to a seaport town to attend to some business when the Brits grabbed him and said, "You are in the Army now". (He was conscripted for war with the American colonies.)

Hugh McCoy was shipped across the ocean and placed in Lord Howe's army at New York. Hugh was wounded and his commander took him to the house of Franklin(s) in NJ to recuperate. While there, his term of enlistment expired and he refused to re-enlist. The daughter of John Franklin, Jemima, had caught his eye and captured his heart. He asked for her hand in marriage. [To date, this is the only source I have found for my Scotish lineage. These Franklin(s) had immigrated from Acton, England.]

Using land warrants from the War, these Franklin(s) and their married daughter, Jemima (Franklin) and Hugh McCoy, removed to Burke Co., NC where they aquired land. After Hugh and Jemima (Franklin) McCoy had about 6 children, Hugh supposed that he may have had some property comming to him in Scotland. He embarked on a voyage back home. He and the ship disappeared. It was presumed he had been lost at sea.

Several years later, these Franklin(s) (and Jemima and Phoebe) voyaged by wagon train through the Cumberland Gap into Kentucky and eventually arrived on the Elk River in Franklin Co,, TN about 1808. Jemima had married for the second time and outlied her 2nd husband. She married for the 3rd time and outlived that husband by a couple of years. Jemima and her second husband is buried on the family farm. I was privileged to view their headstones and dates on these stones were very readable.

John Brown and Phoebe McCoy married in TN, but I have not been able to find any documentation. I do have the birthdates of their children who were born there by calculation from data in Illinois. Also, strangely enough, I know where and the date of Phoebe's demise but can not find anything about her burial.

o

My grandparents with my mom and her siblings.....taken about 1915.
My mom is the oldest....the one in the middle.

Here is a link that might be useful: My grandparents, my mom and her siblings

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here