SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

This is IT!

glenda_al
9 years ago

Our last grandmother/grandson special meal together, for a while, as he turns 18 tomorrow, and heads off to college, Saturday.

Grandson Parke Jr.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (22)

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Wow, he's handsome, but I see a twinge of sadness in your eyes. Proud grandma!

• stacey_mb
    9 years ago

I'm sure a time of hugs and tearful goodbyes for you and for Parke, Jr. I hope you continue to keep us advised of this special young man as he embarks on this new phase of his life.

• OklaMoni
    9 years ago

and I remember when you went to his school to read to his class.

WOW

I hope, you are telling him how proud we are all of him.

Moni

• gadgets
    9 years ago

I'm so glad you two have shared the years together. I remember the picture you posted of you reading to his class many years ago.

Shirley

• Chi
    9 years ago

My grandma drove me to college and helped me settle in. I treasure those memories! Are you going with him?

I'm sure he'll be back to visit before you know it.

• susanjf_gw
    9 years ago

3 more years for our oldest dgd...so scary how fast the time goes....

• pam_25f
    9 years ago

I can only imagine what you feel.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep, here's me reading to his 3rd grade class. I did that weekly for a year. I was Grandmother Smith to the whole class :o)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    9 years ago

You look resigned to the next phase in his life and the separation, but I see a hint of a smile, probably in recognition of how excited that young man next to you is for the next stage coming his way! Congratulations to both of you for getting him on the road to building a good future.

• minnie_tx
    9 years ago

nothing but happy memories foryou both

• katlan
    9 years ago

That's a fab pic Glenda. He's grown into a fine young man. He has had a great start in life with you being his grandma. He's going to rock it out at college.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

You'll be busy with those care packages! Nothing like home made goodies for making new friends.

Side story: My youngest was turning 18 while away at college. I wanted something delivered to her dorm. There was a gourmet cupcake bakery that would deliver but I had to order at least 6 dozen for them to deliver!. I decided to go for it! She opened up the boxes and started sharing. She is still friends with two of the girls from that day.

• wanda_va
    9 years ago

I know this is a bittersweet time for you. You and PJR have been so blessed to have each other, and share so many wonderful trips and memories.

As Moni said, I hope you are telling him how proud we all are of him!

• donna37
    9 years ago

He has a wonderful caring Grandma, can't get any better than that. Great picture.

• sjerin
    9 years ago

What a wonderful picture, and Glenda, you've hardly changed a whit since Parke Jr. was in the third grade! He looks soooo relaxed, confident and grown-up, and you look just a teensy bit sad. It WILL be fun making up those care packages for him. The best of luck to your best grandson!

• bigfoot_liz
    9 years ago

geez where did that little kid go that I always picture when you post of him LOL?!?! You are both lucky to have such a great relationship, you should continue it by visiting him at college, sending care packages and taking him on summer trips. it is a bit sad but all the years you have given him your knowledge, advice and help is culminating in him now moving into an adult. He is very very lucky to have family so involved in his life, so many younger people do not.

What college is he going to? I think I remember you mentioning him playing baseball for college too? I have a friend whose daughter is going to be a freshman at Auburn. ~ liz

• lindaohnowga
    9 years ago

Start planning those "care packages" Glenda. Kids love getting mail, especially edible items they can share with their friends.

How far away from where you live is the college located? If not far, I'm sure you can go some weekends and have dinner together.

Do tell Parke JR how proud we all are of him.

• Georgysmom
    9 years ago

Third grade was before my time so I'm glad you posted the picture. What fun and so many great memories. The years do pass so quickly!

• pekemom
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting, love reading about your life and your family....

• marilyn_c
    9 years ago

Aw, a bittersweet time. I know you will miss him, but so proud of him and he is growing up and is a fine young man. Very exciting time for him.

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

(((Glenda and Parke Jr.))))

It's not the last "grandmother/grandson special meal together," just the "last" where he's still a school kid. Now you get to love and mentor the "College student/almost adult" grandson. He's going to want and need your input, listening ears, sense of humor, and comforting shoulders even more now!

The loving relationship you and PJr share has been such and inspiration to me. I wish you were my auntie!

• lindyluwho
    9 years ago

WOW! Seems like just yesterday when you were reading to that 3rd grade class!

I hope he has a wonderful college experience.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!