Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New-to-me saying

Posted by chisue (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 17:20

We've been watching a dreary DVD called "Single-Handed" about a sergeant in the Irish Garda who is 'assisted' by a fellow officer who is a dolt. Speaking of the dolt, a villager says, "He wasn't born; he was knitted."

I've never heard that one before. Makes me laugh to think of it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New-to-me saying

It could be much worse,,,when I was a kid on the farm they used to say,,,"He wasn't born, a crow pooped on a fence post and the sun hatched him."

o

Hi L P,

Do you often hatch stories like that?

o j

o

OJ, he's not telling a story - that's what parents used to say to kids all the time!

o

I think it's the "knitted" that gets to me. It infers the guy is sort of like, oh, a sock puppet?

o

Thanks for the LOL Chisue and Lazypup! I haven't heard of either saying. Maybe I was "knitted". lol

Just wish I could remember these so I could pass them on. :/

o

I always thought that "he was knitted" referred to someone who has a full, thick head of hair.

o

When I was a girl, I remember my father saying about someone he knew that "he is a self-made man who loves his maker." Of course, that was a new saying to me then, though I have heard it since Dad first uttered it. I find it quite apt for certain types of people to this day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here