Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's for dinner Friday?

Posted by patti43 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 12 at 17:12

Before retirement, Friday was "date night". Of course, we lived in Dunedin and close to a zillion good restaurants. Sometimes (like today) I really, really miss those days.

Tonight we're having baked chicken strips with sliced tomatoes/cucumber salad. I found a dipping sauce recipe for the chicken strips that sounded good--and it is. We have a watermelon I peeled and diced today and lemon squares if we need a snack later.

What are you having tonight?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's for dinner Friday?

I fixed myself a roast beef sandwich, with yellow and red cherry tomatoes on the side, two ears of bi-color sweet corn and a glass of milk. Still no rain and was in the 90's again today. The garden got more water today. I went to some rummage sales today with Cheryl and we had fun.

Sue

o

Birthday lunch with grandson, my Treat :o) Naturally!

Joe's Italian

Me: Mom's side of meatballs with marinara sauce and salad
GS: Lasagna

o

pork chop casserole with tomatoes, onions and rice. Salad on the side. When served you pour some soy sauce over it. I haven't made this in years but is one of Shannon's favorite meals.

o

Sue, did you find any treasures today? I sure hope you get rain soon. Your dinner sounds so good--especially those fresh vegetables!

Glenda, you couldn't ask for a better birthday dinner partner. When PJR gets older and has a job, there's no doubt in my mind he won't be treating you for dinner.

Nita, isn't it fun to cook favorites for the kids when they come home. Those pork chops sound delicious--especially with the added soy sauce!! P.S. Got any leftovers??? I'd love the recipe for when my gluten, dairy, sugar-free kids come.

o

chicken salad, homemade bread and iced tea. Had to take my second shower after watering the garden in the late afternoon. Hot!

o

Stouffer's creamed chipped beef on potatoes and a side of peas. One of my all-time favorite frozen entrees. I could eat it once a week, but I don't.

I made pulled chicken earlier in the day to send home with my son after he mowed. He is such a big help to me.

Shirley

o

Hey, Nita, can I get your recipe for the pork casserole? We like pork in our family.

I've been wanting Fajitas so I stopped at a Mexican grocery store. They had premade meat (beef), veggie, fajita mixure in the meat department. I'm cooking it up now. I hope it's good. Also got some flour torillas and a mix to make churros for Maria.

o

A week ago today, I hooked up a friend of ours with a cat. He hasn't had a cat for over 30 years. When he was married, his ex-wife hated cats. When he comes over, he fusses over our cats and they just love him. So last week I found a cat for him on Kijiji for free, we went and looked at him, and they've been together ever since.

He wanted to go to Costco to get some kitty litter, as we had told him that is the place to get it. So the 3 of us went to Costco and we also bought a box of kitty litter.

Picked up a few other things while we were there, then we also picked up a few groceries on the way home, then Barry went home.

Since it's stinking hot and lugging 50 lbs of "sand" wears a person out, hubby and I decided to split a Chinese combo dinner. It was just right for the two of us.

o

Here's the recipe Patti.

Party Bake Pork Chops
Betty Crocker New Dinner For Two Cookbook copyright 1964

4 lean pork chops, 1" thick
4 thin slices onion
1/4 cup uncooked rice (not instant)
1 can (1 lb. 13 oz.) tomatoes
1/2 to 1 tsp. salt
pepper

Trim any excess fat from chops. Season chops well on both sides with salt and pepper. Brown on both sides in lightly greased hot skillet. Top each chop with a slice of onion, 1 tbsp rice, and cover with whole tomatoes. Add any remaining tomatoes and juice to skillet. Cover tightly; simmer over low heat or bake in foil covered baking dish at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
4 servings.

How I do it.

I don't brown the chops. I put them in an oblong baking dish and put sliced onions on them and then I rinse my oriental rice (Calrose or Hinode) to remove the talc. It won't hurt if you have a little extra rice. Then I take a large can of whole tomatoes and break them up all over the pork chops. I add some water to the can to get the rest of the juice and then cover with foil and bake. This is delicious served with soy sauce to taste.

My mouth is watering just thinking about dinner.

o

Patti I did buy Cheryl 4 nice sized Corelle bowls, set of 8 for four dollars. I bought my self 3 little Corelle bowls for $.25 each, A full sized flat sheet with a nice print of cats on it. It was two dollars. I thought it would be good to make something out of as there is quite a bit of fabric in a flat sheet. Also got a Fern Micheals book for a quarter. We plan on going again in the morning if nothing comes up.

o

Pam, I was thinking of having chicken salad tomorrow. We did have chicken tonight, though. Maybe I'll wait a day or two.

Gadgets, Stouffer's spinach souffle and their lasagne are really good, too. I've never tried their dried beef. Guess we should have some on hand :-) When I make it, I like it over biscuits.

Oooh Kathleen, I bet those fajitas are going to be really good. I didn't realize Maria was still there. Did I miss something? Enjoy!

Jasdip, glad you could find a home for the cat with someone who will take good care of it. We don't have a Costco anywhere near us, but we do have Sam's just down the road. I love their meat and their chicken salad is to die for! Enjoy your Chinese--I enjoy anything I don't have to cook--well, sometimes anyway.

Oh, thanks Nita. That sounds vaguely familiar to me. I c/p'd it to try soon.

Sue, great price on the Corelle bowls. Corelle is all we use now. I just love it. We use the all white dishes. Be careful what you make with that cat sheet--Miss Izzy may have a tizzy!! :-) Hope you get to go again tomorrow, too.

o

I have no idea LOL I totally lost track of time today I started a new totem and between that and the other stuff I had going oh well no dinner made.

Maybe we can have one of those date nights!

Or grilled ham and cheese sandwiches again which were so good last night, I could eat a good one of those any time. And the ham I have is the spiral sliced ham pieces which I fry up first yummy.

I would really like Mexican though. You would think with all the Mexican places around here and trucks some would deliver!

o

I had to take my mind off things... and cooked. This was supper:

Photobucket

o

Maria is going to be here until early September. The fajitas were ok.

o

Raven, hope you got your Mexican last night. Date nights are a good thing!

Moni, that looks delicious. Did you grow those beautiful tomatoes?

Kathleen, when does your new exchange student come?

o

Patti, at one time we had both Sam's and Costco, then about 3 years ago, Sam's closed across Ontario. We preferred Sam's!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here