Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's for dinner Monday?

Posted by patti43 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 17:10

We hardly have any rain from the hurricane. Unless it rained a lot in the night, we got less than an inch. Guess we were lucky this go-round, but some rain would've been welcomed.

Tonight we're having chicken breasts wrapped in bacon and a baked potato. Also cranberry sauce I made last week.

What are you planning for dinner tonight?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's for dinner Monday?

Salmon broiled with a wasabi ginger sauce and capers, steamed corn on the cob and steamed asparagus tossed in hot grape seed oil and herbs.

Apple pie/vanilla ice cream for dessert

o

We had a slow rain all day, first one in a couple weeks.

We had the rest of the tomato pie with a caesar salad.

Just for kicks and giggles, I roasted some chick peas with olive oil, salt, paprika and cayenne. I heard they make a nice snack, and was wondering if that would replace my potato chips. I used them as croutons on the salad.
Nah, they were nothing to write home about. I wouldn't make them again.

o

I fixed cornbread and Great Northern Bean soup. Iced tea to drink.

Sue

o

Monica, the wasabi/ginger sauce with salmon is a perfect match. I still have salmon the the freezer--mind sharing how you made the sauce?

Jas, I've seen recipes for roasting chickpeas. I always wondered if they wouldn't get too hard. Any tomato pie left?

Sue, isn't bean soup just about the best? I really like mine with crackers all crumbled up in it. And I like my a little soupy rather than thick. How about you?

o

Yes, I like my bean soup, soupy. I really like white bread with it but tonight I had corn bread. Sometimes I fix flat dumplings in it. Yummy that way.

Sue

o

Hartleys Down Home Cooking: chicken and dressing casserole and baby green limas.

I've roasted chickpeas quite a few times, as snacks, and everyone really enjoyed.

Just made taco crackers as treat for my grandson and his little sister, tomorrow. I'm designated to take them for dental appointments tomorrow after school.

o

Patti - I just finished eating, and checked on the sauce.
I made a mistake in the description - it's a Wasabi citrus sauce sold at Wegman's Supermarket in a bottle labeled "House Salmon".

The instructions for use is as a marinade...but I just pour it on the salmon and then put under the broiler.

o

We picked up McDonalds on the way home and I had a fish sandwich. I am going to have a few bites of Starbucks java chip ice cream for dessert later.

o

Last week I went through my old Dinners for Two cookbook and picked out some of the recipes I used to make eons ago. So tonight we are having Pheasants in cream (chicken) that I remember as being soooo good.

With that will be steamed rice since there is a sauce over the chicken and will make a tossed salad.

Pheasant in Cream

1 Pheasant (cut in pieces) or 2 pounds chicken pieces
Place in 9 x 9 x 2 baking dish

In a bowl combine:
1/2 cup apple cider
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 3 oz can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic chopped
1/3 cup onion, chopped

Pour over chicken and generously sprinkle Paprika over all. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1.5 to 2 hours

Since I used a 9 x 13 pan and probably double the chicken I doubled the sauce.

o

Garlic, olive oil, lemon roasted vegetables...Brussels sprouts, green beans, purple onion and sweet potato.

About chickpeas...I have roasted green ones, still in their husks. Sooo good!

o

Garlic, olive oil, lemon roasted vegetables...Brussels sprouts, green beans, purple onion and sweet potato.

About chickpeas...I have roasted green ones, still in their husks. Sooo good!

o

Went to Bonefish tonight with the ladies. I had one of their specials, crab encrusted Pompano. It was delicious. We shared a slice of key lime pie for dessert. It was a lovely evening, and the celebration is over. LOL

o

Patti -- you "MADE" cranberry sauce? As in, you opened the can with the can opener and slid that jelly out, with the can ridges intact? LOL! (A friend who invited me to Thanksgiving dinner one year told me that in addition to the homemade cranberry relish, she had to open a can of the jellied stuff for one of her sisters, who would eat only that type. I fessed up that's my speed, too! For my nearly 50 years, that's what I grew up with! Who knew?)

For dinner Monday:
Probably just some tuna salad or hummus with bread (I like the Sabra Roasted Pine Nut variety).

Still full from lunch -- for some reason, I was craving country-fried steak (some folks call it chicken-fried?), so I went to Bob Evans, for the very first time. It was good, but next time I'll ask for the gravy on the side -- tasty but too much gravy. The yeast rolls were delish; glad I took the server's recommendation on those versus the biscuits!

o

Glenda, have fun at the dentist tomorrow! You had yet another good-sounding dinner.

Monica, we don't have Wegman's but I'll look for something similar--or make my own. I have wasabi powder. Hey I saw your picture on Sue's "Weekend" post. Well--at least I saw the car. Cool!

Raven, I've been thinking about you and your family, since it looks like Isaac is going to hit LA. Glad you had such a nice visit and got to eat such yummy food.

Nita, it's nice you've saved your old recipe books. I never had many but I have no idea what happened to the few I did. I do still have my Joy of Cooking from the early 70's. Did your recipe still taste the same?

Houndsxtwo, you sure had a healthy dinner. Did you roast them all together? I had a hard time getting everything in similar sized chunks the one time I tried it, so when some stuff was done, other stuff wasn't.

Georgysmom, you're going to be spoiled with all those celebrations :-) Sounds like a good time.

LOL, Pammyfay, making cranberry sauce is easy. I like the canned sauce, too. We eat it all year around. We have a Bob Evans up the road and the food is good. Of course, I always get pancakes, so what do I know. They have the nicest wait staff, too.

o

Yes, patti43, I roasted everything together...on a jelly roll pan, at 375 degrees F.

I'm sooo ready for fall! Can't wait for the fresh cranberries to arrive in the stores.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here