SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

What Are You Reading?

My daughter Cheryl gave me some books to read, I finished Growing up With Roy and Dale by Roy Rogers Jr. and Dale by Dale Evans Rogers. I enjoyed them both. Now I am reading a book about Hank Williams. So far I like it too. What are the rest of you reading?

Sue

Comments (44)

• donna_loomis
    11 years ago

At lunchtime today I started "My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business" by Dick Van Dyke. I'm enjoying it!

• Pieonear
    11 years ago

I just finished reading The Moonflower Vine. It is about a Missouri farm family in the old days and is a really good story. I enjoyed every bit of this book.

• Related Discussions

What are you reading? January 2024 Edition

Q

Comments (95)
    My sister just sent me her list of books she is planning on purchasing. (She shares with me). She likes more fantasy/science fiction than I do, we both seem to like historical fiction, stories with strong females, I like biographies more than she does (added the last book to her list). Any feedback on any of these titles: Ten Birds that changed the world The tattooist of Auschwitz The Giver of Stars Stars of Alabama The Book of Lost Friends The Once and Future Witches Stolen: the astonishing odyssey of Five boys along the reverse underground RR The Four Winds The Keeper of Lost Things Love, Life and Elephants The Last Bookshop in London The Life of Pi The Girl of the Limberlost The Poisonwood Bible House in the Cerulean Sea The Island of Sea Women Lisa Tan’s Circle of Women The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store The Magnificent Lives of Marjorie Post
    ...See More

What are you reading? February 2024 Edition

Q

Comments (60)
    Just finished The Winter Soldier. I liked it very much, 4 stars. Thanks to those who mentioned it in the January thread. You guys have the best recommendations. I was hoping for a different ending, but it was a just ending. It's the first Daniel Mason book I've read and love his writing. Straightforward but evocative. I have North Woods on hold. Turns out Mason is my daughter's age and is from Palo Alto.
    ...See More

February ......what are you reading !? ,

Q

Comments (56)
    Carolyn, I'm impressed that you would take on such a long book. I don't mind reading a long book if I anticipate a really good read, but the thought of nearly 1,000 pages certainly gives me pause. However, in my eyes, you are an amazingly fast reader and I'm sure that helps. I'm curious about the title, The Running Grave, does it have an appropriate meaning once you've read the book?
    ...See More

What Are You Reading? March 2024 Edition

Q

Comments (64)
    I've come to the conclusion that if I fill up my life with misery, the stories consumed through novels, then..... THAT IS MY LIFE. faftris...I'm so sorry for your losses. I understand that good writing and making the reader feel emotions for the characters misery is NOT the course I would wish to set my life on either. I also do not care to hear about drug addiction, murder, racism... or a multitude of other attrocities.
    ...See More
  • foggyj
    11 years ago

I just finished The Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn. Boy was it good! I couldn't put it down, and I'm usually not like that. When you thought you had it figured out, a twist happened, and changed things. Highly recommend this book.

• wanda_va
    11 years ago

"Zero Day" by David Baldacci. His books are all very good. This one is very similar to Lee Childs' Jack Reacher series (which I loved).

• tobygirl
    11 years ago

I just started In the Woods by Tana French. I recently heard the author on NPR and I was very impressed. The one I'm reading is her first and is an award winner. So far, I like it.

• Kathsgrdn
    11 years ago

Rereading The Hunger Games again.

• carol_in_california
    11 years ago

I am about half way through AFTERWARDS by Rosamund Lupton.
    It is about a mother and daughter critically injured in a school fire (takes place in England) who leave their bodies and are able to communicate with each other.
    The fire at the school was arson and in it an intriguing story.
    Lots of twists and turns with good development of characters.
    Her first book was SISTERS and I want to read it after I finish this one.
    I got it on loan from our local library.

• alisande
    11 years ago

After posting recently about rediscovering Ed McBain, I discovered a book by John D. MacDonald on my shelves. He was a great favorite of mine (and many of my friends) back in the 1960s and 1970s. I'm about 3/4 of the way through it, and was happy to find that I'm still in love with Travis McGee. Although I'd love him more if he didn't drink Gallo jug wine. (I didn't know beans about wine the first time I read the series.)

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. Loved it.

• lydia1959
    11 years ago

I hadn't read much of anything all summer then started up again a few weeks ago.
    I read The Dog Who Rescues Cats: The True Story of Ginny , a quick read that I really enjoyed.
    I also read Somewhere in Heaven: The Remarkable Love Story of Dana and Christopher Reeve Loved this book! Very well written too.
    Lastly I read Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back I liked this as well but it does have a strong Christian theme.

• eileen101
    11 years ago

Just finished Gone Girl and now I'm in the middle of BLOODLINE by Lynda La Plante. It's a wonderful who done it
    mystery and is really a page turner!
    Also read Miracle by Danielle Steele...a quick, easy just for fun type book.
    Eileen

• User
    11 years ago

I've had a run with good books. First What Alice Forgot, Then Gone Girl, the best I read in years, then Before I Sleep and now What Comes Next. ALL excellent.

• Granlan_TX
    11 years ago

For many years now, reading doesn't come easy for me, but I keep trying to concentrate and get back into something I used to enjoy.

Anyhoo, just started reading Anne Tyler's Breathing Lessons. I've also read her Ladder of Years (twice)...that never happens.

• ghoghunter
    11 years ago

Just finished Gone Girl and am now reading Kathy Reichs "Bones are Forever". I am also reading John and Abigail in between which is about their marriage and letters to each other...I love history along with mysteries.
    Joann

• Georgysmom
    11 years ago

I'm in the middle of Minding Frankie by Maeve Binchy. Always enjoyed her books when I just wanted some light reading. Will miss her. Next on the list is Gone Girl.

• chessey24
    11 years ago

I think I have to go check out Gone Girl

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

Just thought of another book I recently read ... State of Wonder. About a pharmaceutical company that is studying a tribe in the Congo whose women are fertile and capable of childbearing well into their 80s. It's a mystery, as one researcher goes missing and another goes down to figure out what happened to him.

Jodi-

• casey_nfld
    11 years ago

Just finished "The Other Side of the Bridge" by Mary Lawson, loved it!!

And "The Sirens of Baghdad" by Yasmina Khadra, not as good as the other 2 by him that I read ("The Swallows of Kabul" & "The Attack").

Also, "Charley's Web" by Joy Fielding, it was pretty good.

Currently reading "The Hatbox Letters" by Beth Powning. Not far into it yet but have a feeling it's going to be slow going.

• emma
    11 years ago

I just finished the 3rd book in the Earth Children Series by Jean Auel. I have 5 new books to read, 2 by D Macomber and 3 by Fern Michaels.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

EmmaR, I like those authors too. I like a lot of different authors though.

Sue

• evatx
    11 years ago

I read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I liked 11/22/63 so much I didn't want it to end.

• nicole__
    11 years ago

I just finished all 3 of the Hunger Games triology....LOVED it!

• phyllis__mn
    11 years ago

I'm always into two or three books, but sneak into a new-to-me one while I'm having lunch, etc. Today I had a James Patterson book that I sneaked a look at......kids with wings????I don't think that will even make my TBR pile. I am reading a Patrick McManus one at lunchtime. Now I will go to bed and read whatever I have, unread, under my pillow! The senior citizen center is across the street from my house, and I am trying to convince them to let people bring, and take, books whenever they choose. A friend in FLorida was telling my how successful theirs is in doing that. I know we all have stacks of books that could be exchanged that way.

• User
    11 years ago

I read 11/22/63 last year. I just started Gillian Flynn's last book, Sharp Objects. I loved Gone Girl. She's such a good writer.

• teresava
    11 years ago

Well, I guess Gone Girl is now on my TBR list.

My Book Club read Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet which we all liked and I learned about the internment camps in the Northwest that I really didn't know anything about.

My Book Club just finished A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway and A Paris Wife. The second is the same story, but told by E.H. wife. Both were interesting. THen I watched the movie Midnight in Paris-which featured all the notable characters (F Scott Fitzgerald, Gertrude Stein etc)

During the summer, we tackle a longer book. The Distant Hours by Kate Morton. Good but a little long. We have read another one of hers that seemed familiar-Forgotten Garden.

I've also read the first 2 50 Shades of Grey books that were loaned to me. The jury is out on them so far!

• User
    11 years ago

Correction..I'm reading Dark Places , not Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.

• mare_wbpa
    11 years ago

I'm reading Peony In Love, by Lisa See. It's kind of strange, but interesting. I also read, Snowflower And The Secret Fan by the same author. One set in 17th century, the other in 19th century China, lots of Chinese tradition and culture in both.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

I just got Gone Girl for my ereader looking forward to that.
    I am just finishing up something then I will probably start the newest janet evanovich book or Gone Girl.

• Cherryfizz
    11 years ago

I have had an interest in British history for awhile now. In school we were taught more American history than British even though many Canadians come from British ancestry. I have a lot of catching up to do and am learning so much by reading books and listening to podcasts on British history.

So right now I am reading Sarum by Edward Rutherford. It is a 1345 page epic novel of English history from the beginnings of the Ice Age to present day. A good read so far. The next book of his after this one is another epic novel called London and then another one on Ireland.

I am reading it in paperback and it is really hard to hold. I should look to see if they offer it on Kobo or Kindle

• carol_in_california
    11 years ago

I stayed up until 2 AM finishing AFTERWARDS by Rosamund Lufton so I could return it to the library today.
    I really enjoyed it.....and have her first novel, SINGLE, on hold via our library on my Kindle.

• alisande
    11 years ago

Phyllis, I'm surprised your Senior Center needs convincing. It sounds like a great idea.

• vannie
    11 years ago

Loved Gone Girl. Just finished "God Never Blinks" by Reginna Brett, and am half way through her next book--"Be the Miracle." Very uplifting. Highly recommend both.

• emma
    11 years ago

I am reading Debbie Macomber's Rose Harbor Inn. After that one I have 4 new Fern Michaels to read. That should keep me busy for awhile.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    11 years ago

Finished Fifty Shades of Gray, just to see what all the hoopla was about. Wasn't impressed. Just finished GirlChild and that was a strange one. Friend loaned it to me and she liked it better than I did.

• wanda_va
    11 years ago

phyllis, don't give up on the James Patterson "kids with wings". He wrote a series about Maximum Ride and her group--they were actually written for young people, but they are good. Light reading, with humor. I've read all but the final book in the series, and enjoyed them.

• eileen101
    11 years ago

Just finished reading STILL GONE by Chevy Stevens. What an wonderful book! It's about a young woman who is kidnapped and the horrors she went through along with the mystery of who abducted her and why. Great Book!
    Eileen

• Tally
    11 years ago

I downloaded "Murder on the Mind" by Jeff Resnick to my Kindle app on my phone, and am really enjoying it.

It was free! And it has 70+ reviews with 4 1/2 stars. Good read.

Here is a link that might be useful: Muder on The Mind Kindle Free Download

• des_arc_ya_ya
    11 years ago

Somebody tell me the premise of GoneGirl, please. Eva, I'm assuming that Stephen King's 11/22/63 has something to do with the day JFK was killed?

TIA

• eileen101
    11 years ago

Today I finished The Innocent by David Baldacci. This book was a page turner from the very first page! It's full of twists and turns, however, it didn't have a million characters, which is what I like. If you want a page turner, try this book for sure!
    Eileen

• User
    11 years ago

Gone Girl is a terrific suspenseful book. The plot is very sophisticated. Google it and read the reviews but don't read any that would give it away. The Stephen King book is about the Kennedy assassination. I read it a few years ago, and it too is hard to explain. It's about time travel.

• bengardening
    11 years ago

I just finished A GOWN OF SPANISH LACE BY Jannette Oke. It was very good. Now I am reading WHERE ARE YOU NOW by Mary Higgins Clark. My sister gave it to me and she said its very good. Not the kind of book I usually read thoug.

• itsmesuzq
    11 years ago

Read BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP by S.J. Watson (it was okay.) Then 11/22/63 by Stephen King and I loved it! I'm just finishing FIFTY SHADES OF GRAY and its so-so; I'm not sure I'll read the trilogy.

I have GONE GIRL, HOUSE OF STONE AND WILD in my pile of books to read. I think I'll read GONE GIRL first.

Thanks for the heads-up on the free Kindle download, I just went in and got it from Amazon. I prefer to read a "real book" but the Kindle is good to have when I'm not at home.

• foggyj
    11 years ago

Gone Girl is a back and forth between a husband and a wife. One chapter is wriiten by the wife, the next one is written by the husband. Very good twist and turns.

• eileen101
    11 years ago

I just started to read The Midwife's Confession and I can't put it down!
    Eileen