Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Make meatloaf? How do YOU make it?

Posted by pammyfay (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 15:51

I have a recipe for something called "Mayberry RFD Meatloaf" that I've done before. Ground beef, minced onion, a little celery salt (but I don't have that in the house, so I'll skip that), bread crumbs, salt, pepper; with a brown sugar/ketchup glaze on top.

Last time, there was too much grease, so this time I upped the "lean-ness" and will try baking it in a hand-shaped loaf atop the rack on the broiler tray.

I want to replace the bread crumbs, too, with another binder/filler: crumbled saltines? I saw an old post (I think by Cynic?) that said whatever was in the pantry, including CheezIts! Might experiment with that!

So how do YOU make it? (Yes, we've had this post before, but maybe some new ideas will pop up!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Make meatloaf? How do YOU make it?

Ground beef and pork, an egg, a slice of white bread, broken in pieces and soaked in milk and squeezed dry. (Instead of dry bread crumbs). Worcestershire, salt and pepper.
Dijon and ketchup combined and put some in with the meat.
Last week I made a meatloaf and shredded a zucchini and put in. I often put finely diced carrots and onions in, and the zucchini was a hit. More ketchup, dijon and a bit of brown sugar spread on top.

o

Ground beef, some crumbled bread soaked in a little milk, onion, salt, pepper and a little catchup. I do not use eggs I like my meatloaf crumbly, the egg works like glue. I stir it with a fork so it won't be packed tight. I put some catchup on the top when it's ready to bake. I always made a larger one than needed so I would have enough for sandwiches the next day. Very good with fresh soft bread, mayo and sweet pickle.

o

I have always used shredded wheat...because my Mother did, along with a beaten egg and loosely patted into a loaf on a cookie sheet.

o

Pammy, the meatloaf I made last week, I'm pretty sure I left the egg out, as I was using the fresh bread and milk.

When I use dried breadcrumbs, I use egg and milk.

o

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the "idea" of meatloaf, but until a couple of years ago I had never eaten a meatloaf that I could say was THE one. And then I found it. It happens to be a Rachael Ray recipe and because she is known for recipes that take much less time to cook than a traditional meatloaf, they are actually meatloaf patties. And there is nothing unusual in the recipe, but for some reason, IMO, it rocks. Maybe it is specifically because it doesn't cook for so long. I don't know. But I love the recipe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rachel Ray's Meatloaf Patties

o

Donna - I make those meatloaf patties all the time! We both love them - its that '3 condiment gravy' and I think the little bit of allspice that puts them over the edge for me. I don't do her entire meal as written, but defintely the patties.

o

I use oatmeal in place of bread for the filler.

o

Since Harry's brother shared this recipe, it's the only one I like. Don't let the ginger throw you, there's just enough to add a little "something". The original recipe says to put it in a 9x5" loaf pan, but I had the same result as you--too greasy. I don't use a whole lot of onion, either.

JIMMY'S BROWN SUGAR MEATLOAF

1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 cup finely crushed saltine cracker crumbs
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, mix thoroughly all ingredients except brown sugar and ketchup. Shape into a loaf.

Place on a baking sheet and top with brown sugar. Spread sugar to cover the top. Top the sugar with ketchup. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until juices are clear. Serves 8.

o

I mix a can of Rotel in the hamburger, along with an egg, some salt and pepper, chopped onion, chopped green pepper - savory and really tasty. the last 10 minutes, I make a catsup and mustard topping - really, really good!

o

Meat loaf is very subjective. One person thinks ketchup on meat loaf is "trailer park" and will tell you so, ask me how I know (HA!)and believe the only way to enjoy ML is with gravy.

My personal favorite recipe is the one on the lipton onion soup packet and with ketchup on top.

o

I eat around the ketchup if it is the topping on meatloaf.

o

I use ground beef, not too lean, and about 1/4 to 1/2 pound ground pork. I add ketchup, salt, pepper, beaten egg, and one crustless slice of bread soaked in milk or water and torn into bits. Sometimes I add sauteed or raw onion too and a dash of Worchestershire sauce. Top it with a thick layer of ketchup. And I LOVE left over meatloaf sandwiches.

o

Meatloaf can bring out the best and the worst in people. Some throw temper tantrums and stomp their feet if you don't bury it in 2" of the condiment their life centers around! (Ask me how I know -HA!). Fortunately most are rational and can reminisce without screaming and shouting. :)

Normally I like a mixture of meats. Ground beef, pork sausage and pepperoni are popular here. Binders can vary. I happen to like onion, pepper and celery in it at times too but it depends on the type of meatloaf I'm making. Occasionally I make sort of a "pizza meatloaf" with a pizza sauce and pizza geared flavorings, even some mozzarella in it.

I make meatloaf a number of different ways. It doesn't "have" to be one way for me to enjoy it. Normally I prefer bread (whole grain or multi-grain works great) cracker crumbs or something rather than the dried breadcrumbs.

I like a crust on meatloaf. Finally there's getting to be more people admitting they like it and gear a recipe toward it. I find that interesting.

I use eggs in there usually. But that doesn't always glue it together, I've had crumbly loaves and meatballs with more and less egg. I've found that how much it's packed makes a difference too. Sometimes I like it more dense, sometimes I like it more crumbly.

I've never had great success with the bacon wrapped meatloaves but might give it another try sometime. Especially if I put it on the grill but then someone will throw a tantrum if it's not boiled in catchip, I suppose! :D

I like different types of seasonings again depending on mood. Sometimes Spikes, Jane's, my own rib rub or a variation or whatever is around. I don't get into the packaged seasonings. I like less sodium and MSG. Usually a dash of hot sauce goes in there. Sometimes some bacon, sometimes some parmesan... Like I said, I'm not locked into one type of meatloaf.

Here is a link that might be useful: Not everyone is ashamed. Some take pride in the double wide. Jolene's Tamale Loaf

o

My MIL taught me how to make meatloaf the way her son likes it. The two secrets are: brown some onions in oil and add to the mix, and use your fingers to mix everything. Yep, it's messy! Use one pound hamburger meat, browned onions, one egg, flavored bread crumbs, ketchup and yellow mustard, no salt at all,and a little milk if it is dry. Roll meat nto a log, place in a loaf pan, pour some more ketchup over the top, bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

o

I have made meatloaf many different ways, but have never found one that went beyond being just...ok.., until I saw one made on an online cooking show a few years ago. Wish I could remember the guy's name. First you make a tomato relish that goes in and on the meatloaf, and the rest is served on the side. Since I found this recipe I make it often, and since it freezes well I usually double the recipe.

Elisabeth

o

Mine is real basic. I don't measure anything. It's just ground beef, bread crumbs, milk, an egg, onion and salt. Squish together with your hands, form into a loaf and bake. I really don't like any kind of glaze, although I serve it with ketchup. If someone gives me meat loaf with glaze, I kind of cut it away.

o

I don't have a particular recipe for meatloaf, but use a variety of ingredients. Filler may be crushed saltines, more often oatmeal, bread cubes etc. I sometimes use Rotel tomatoes w/green chilies, always use an egg and onion. The other ingredients vary from time to time. To combat a lot of grease I shape my meat mixture into 2 ovals, bake in a cassrole dish and as soon as I take it out of the oven, I lift the loaves into another dish, leaving the grease behind. Otherwise the meat will "suck up" the grease. Plus, this leaves a little crust all over the loaves except the bottom and we like that. Never have put a topping on it although a lot of people do. Just a personal preference.

I copied Donna's link to Rachel Ray's meatloaf recipe. Sounds interesting.

o

No recipe here either. Ground beef, a bunch of green onions, a green pepper, oatmeal or italian bread crumbs and sun dried tomatoes. I don't use a loaf pan, just form a loaf on a cookie sheet and bake away. I do top ours with ketchup and mustard. To take it to the next level just as I do with hamburgers, I will get some skirt steak and have it ground up and mix it with some ground beef.

o

I make a very different kind of meatloaf but it is extremely good and even those that warned me they hate meatloaf loved it. It ain't your typical little loaf pan covered in ketchup! I created this because I was one that really disliked the normal meatloaf.

Saucy stuffed meatloaf:
3Lbs lean ground beef(can use less meat)
1/2cup raw oatmeal
2Tbs Worcestershire sauce
2Tbs Cajun seasoning (I prefer Tony Chachere)
2Tbs mustard(yellow)
4-5 chopped Roma tomatoes(fresh not canned)
1lg chopped onion(purple if possible)
1jar RAGU Roasted garlic Parmesan sauce**
In mixing bowl add meat,oatmeal,worst sauce,seasoning,mustard. Mix well with hands.
In a large rectangular baking dish spray pam (NOT a loaf pan). Add the meat and form into loaf shape, then make a well down the length in the center of the loaf. In the well add some of the chopped tomatoes and onion. Squeeze the meat closed over the top of the well. Pour remaining tomato and onions around the loaf. Pour the RAGU sauce over it all. You can add a little milk to the jar to"rinse" it and get all out (not much don't want to water it down). Bake at 350 for an hour- check for doneness(clear juices). Let cool for 5 min or so then skim off excess oil or soak it up with bread and discard bread.
*Optional ingredient chopped mushrooms.
*Optional sprinkle top with grated cheese
**If you can not find that specific RAGU sauce one of the other white RAGU sauces can be used like the Alfredo, and add garlic.
Roasted Garlic Parmesan sauce

o

My meatloaf recipe is pretty straight-forward. Ground beef (no pork thanks), chopped onion, worcestershire sauce, egg, breadcrumb, spicy barbecue sauce (rather than ketsup). Beyond that, my favorite additions to the "batter" are fresh sliced mushrooms & sliced pimento-stuffed green olives.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here