Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beaware area code 849

Posted by marie-ndcal (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 15:50

I had a call from this area code and be careful. Appears to be coming in from the Domingo Republic. They are targeting seniors and trying to get information like SS # , your Dr's name etc. I just say Hello, (once) and hang up. I do not push the button to not get any more calls.
There is an increase on these types of phone calls.
Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beaware area code 849

Just do not answer the phone for any number you don't know...problem solved.

o

I answer no calls from "unknown", "private caller", or numbers I don't know/area codes I don't know. I just don't pick up the phone. If anyone wants to reach me they'll leave a voicemail.

o

Also be aware that many of these scammers leave a callback number on your answering machine and tell you they have an urgent message for you. When you call back they typically put you on hold or beat around the bush for as long as they can...while you get a charge of $5-$10 a minute on your phone bill.

o

That would be the Dominican Republic....

o

They are still calling, received one today in January 2013.
We have phone ID on two phones and one TV. We strictly only answer and/or pick up calls from phone numbers we know.

Be also aware that phone numbers and names on the phone ID display can also be fake. Sometimes we get phone calls from different (fake) area codes shortly after each other, must be the same office calling.

o

That's why I enjoy my caller ID

o

I've been getting calls from them too and 1 at 7:30am this morning! Looked at my caller ID and simply ignored them.

I now set my ringtone to 2 and let the answering machine takes care of the rest. They get annoyed by it and stopped the call. With only 2 ringtones, it hasn't bothered me as much.

Thanks for letting us know who these scams are.

o

We get them too... but I simply ignore those that I don't recongnize and unknown or private caller.. I told Larry about that to. since he isn't used to a land line.. so he is learning..

o

Ditto to Glenda's comment!
I never knew how valuable Caller ID was until I got it!
The hang-up click I used to hear on my answering machine told me that it wasn't an important call, but my caller ID gives me the number so that I can see where these people are calling from. (Too many calls from the same donation company in one day mean that I take my stuff elsewhere, because I don't want money going to telemarketing; they already stuff our mailboxes with donation requests.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here