SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Flooring & Living Room refreshing

caroline94535
9 years ago

Lordy, this "one month, at most" project has been going on since early June.

The Little House of Horrors on the Prairie had to have a new furnace. It also had to have all new duct work. Some of the vents and air exchangers were moved to more efficient locations.

One of those "more efficient locations" involved extending the only solid wall in the living room by 3 feet. Yeah! I was doing the happy dance. Now I have room to put a loveseat, possible a small sofa, with little tables at each end, along that wall without it being crowded.

Since we had to get a new furnace, and since I didn't want to face another summer here with A/C, we got the works. An electric heat pump for both heating and cooling, a back-up gas furnace for when temps dip too low for the heat pump, new ducting, humidifying and dehumidifying "things," and all sorts of whistles and bells the plumber just raved about. There seems to be an extra electrical panel in the basement now; lots of new wiring, new outlets in the living room, and an extra meter that power company can control.

We pulled out the old, nasty carpet and asked a flooring man to see if he could salvage the 62-year-old oak floor rather than rip it out and put something new down.

Short story longer...we had to removed 20 granite tiles that had been stuck down to plywood at the front door. We had to force out about 1,000 screws and nails that held the plywood to the subfloor and clean the area. Flooring Dude managed to find enough of the 1 and 1/4-inch wide floor boards to repair the whole. He patched holes where old vents and exchangers had been moved from; he sanded, and sanded, the living room and hall floors, and applied five coats of a floor sealer. No stain; clear satin finish sealer.

I think the new floor is beautiful, although we will have a large area rug for winter.

In progress...

The opening between living room and kitchen is smaller; the header will be dropped down and rounded off to match the smaller doorway at the north end of the room. The windows and door is being replaced and then the baseboards and crown molding will go in.

I sure hope they're finished by the time the temps freeze.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design