Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Filtering messages in Yahoo

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 14:57

I've been trying forever, to have messages from a sender go into my Trash folder. I guess I'm not doing it right because they're still coming into my inbox.

I go to Settings, Click on Filter, Type in a name e.g. Billy.
in the Sender box I type in an email address, and Billy. They are supposed to go to Trash but they don't.

How do you sort/filter your emails? What am I doing wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Filtering messages in Yahoo

I usually just mark them as spam when I receive them. It might take a time or two, but then they will go straight to spam.

o

Thanks Fun. These aren't Spam per se, they are from a lady that I know who consistently, incessantly sends on crap that doesn't interest me in the least.

I just want them to go to Trash or even a separate folder so that I can quickly look at them to make sure there isn't an important one.

o

I think its just YAHOO, I haven't like it for a while now. They keep changing everything. I tried to do a draft last night and can't do it anymore. I wish there as a better email service. :^ (

o

I just want them to go to Trash or even a separate folder so that I can quickly look at them to make sure there isn't an important one.
You can do that.
First set up a new folder and give it 'her' name or something like "Check later".
Then go to the gear thing up in the right hand corner of Yahoo mail and click on it. You will get a drop down menu. Choose Settings.
At the next screen, choose filters, and then ADD.
At the next screen, you can choose the Senders email address and choose to have it sent directly to your newly created folder.

I know it sounds kind of complicated, but it only needs done once, and her messages will be saved, for you to scan over later.

o

Chemocurl, that is exactly what I have done. I got at least a dozen chain letters, religious emails, etc from this one person yesterday.
I have the Sender's email address, her name, her initials, everything to connotate that it's coming from her. They all still go in my inbox. Very frustrating.

o

Have you tried doing it starting from one of her e-mails?

Open the e-mail
Click on MORE, which is above the e-mail, in the line which reads: DELETE, MOVE, SPAM, MORE
Click on FILTER E-MAILS LIKE THIS
Then place her e-mail address in the box to the right of SENDER (yahoo may do it automatically), and direct that her e-mails go to Trash.

I just tried it and it worked for me. I only filled in those two boxes - the e-mail address and specifying Trash.

o

Graywings, I never paid attention to the Move actions before. This is terrific!!!!

I just use D1 for example when I want to move something to a designated folder. Or K to mark something as red or unread.

Thank you!!! Now I want her to send me something to see if it worked. LOL

o

If one of her emails is still in your trash then move it back to inbox and try that method from the email.

o

Filtering is all well and good, but (and I'm NOT trying to be snarky) why don't you just tell her to take you off her "forward" list?

My sister used to do this. I told her I'd been on the internet 15 years before she got her first computer, and that I'd seen ALL the jokes, ALL the inspirational stories, All the chain letters, and I didn't want to see any of it, so cut it out! If not, then I'd block her address permanently. She stopped.

o

I have told her, Mary. She's in her late 70's so it's just as easy to filter them.

o

Darn, that didn't work either Graywings. I just got 2 emails from her. Sigh.

o

Try again Jas and empty your cache or just go to my computer click on c drive then properties and do a disk clean up. Restart your computer then check again for new mail from her.

o

You do realize that I was pointing you to the MORE tab, not the MOVE tab?

o

Yes Graywings. I did all that.

ThreeJ's (HI by the way!!!) I did what you suggested and now it's a waiting game. :)

o

Hi again jassy,

Hope you don't chew your fingernails down to near blood-drawing/flowing time while your waiting for that email.

Is someone around here suggesting that maybe seniors might get rather set in their ways?

Does it get worse as the years advance?

Hope you're having a good day, otherwise.

o j

o

LOL, and there they are! 2 more messages. I is a repeat of one of yesterday's because she sends so many, she forgets what she has previously sent.

Sigh, I'll just keep hitting delete, delete. Yahoo doesn't want to co-operate with me.

o

I must be missing something as I read quickly, but why don't you send her email to the spam file, so your program recognizes subsequent emails as such? Perhaps you want some of her emails?

o

Sjerin, sometimes there is something worth looking at. I don't want to block her completely for that reason. I guess I could mark it as Spam, and it will go to my spam folder. That would work.

But this whole episode negates the Filter aspect. I've read where some people designate several emails to separate folders/filters. Recipes, Freecycle, store fliers etc etc. Isn't that what all the time-management gurus say, and how to clean up clutter in your inbox.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here