Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A purely selfish post

Posted by Sue-va (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 14:37

I don't know if anyone saw this or not, or the post by jel48, that followed it, because it fell off to page 2. This was very meaningful to me, so I am resending it.

RE: What Are You Doing this Weekend?

Posted by Sue-va (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 10:41

On Sunday I was treated to a delightful day out. My DD, my DGD and her DH and my 11 year 0ld DGGS took me to the Riverside Center Dinner Theater, in Fredericksburg, VA. a pleasant two hour drive from here.

The Center was built for the purpose and it is just lovely, with beautifully set tables, cosy lighting and tiered seating, so everyone has a good view of the stage. Some of the waiters are also actors in the play.

The play? The Phantom! I have seen the movie (twice) but this production is based on Gaston Leroux's novel The Phantom of the Opera, which is considered by critics as eminently equal to its more famous Andrew Lloyd Webber's version. I have to admit my ignorance in that I did not know that, and I also learned that there was a movie in 1943, with Claude Rains, and Nelson Eddy.

This was the most gratifying day I've had for a long time. I had had a rough time from January to May, health wise, and I'm still dealing with some of it. My "kids" planned this and surprised me with it, and it was just perfect!
I'm adding the link, so you can get an idea of what it was like.

To see Jel48's post, go back to page 2.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Riverside Center

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A purely selfish post

Sounds absolutely wonderful, Sue!!!

So glad you had a great time.

Rita

o

That's so nice, Sue. They obviously wanted to give you a great time . . . and they succeeded!

o

Sue, If I am not mistaken, my husband's nephew isplaying in that play. I know its a musical in Fredricksburg that he is in. He is 16 and has real curly black hair, & tan complexion. I haven't been yet, but sister in law wants us to go.

o

I just listened to some of the beautiful music from your link and read the menu. What a wonderful surprise from your family!

I do hope you are on the road to recovery and will be posting photos of some of your granddaughter's amazing creations again soon.

o

What a wonderful surprise Sue. Glad you enjoyed every minute of it.

o

What a terrific surprise from your daughter. I am glad you had a wonderful time!

o

Sue, it's easy to tell how much this special day meant to you. That's wonderful you were treated to such an entertaining play and experience. Hope you have many more.

And you're not being selfish at all. :)

o

I thank all of you for reading and replying to my "selfish" post. I am not prone to posting about my aches and pains, or every little stubbed toe or bug bite. This winter, though, I went through and still managing, a terrific time of something that is still not actually diagnosed. So happened that last Fall, we had a new Family Practice doctor come to this area, just a couple miles from me, so I went to see him, hoping to change from the one several miles away, who doesn't have privileges at our hospital. Not to get into details, but this doctor really didn't seem to know what he was doing. He is no longer there, he no longer has privileges at our hospital, and the hospital is trying to find a replacement. Enough of that; I am doing much better, but it surely has slowed me down.

Rita, it was absolutely wonderful, especially because my kids planned it.

Susan, yes, they succeeded!

WmsbrgJane, I have the complete program with a list of the actors, with photos. There is a young curly haired man, or boy, named Ian. Could that be him? Do go and enjoy a time out. I promise you won't regret it.

Tobygirl, yes, delightful music! I am improving, but not fast enough to suit me! I haven't posted any of the cupcakes lately, just a little lazy. Since you asked though I will gather some up and post them before long. Also an update on the business.

Gemini, yes, I enjoyed every minute of it. It is one of those productions where you feel a part of it.

Marilyn, we never get to old for surprises. This one was truly great.

Granlan, you are so kind, but I did question myself about that post, but I so wanted to share this loving, thoughtful gift from my family, and would like to think that others are so lucky.

Thanks again to all of you. Sharing this has also "done me good!"

Sue

o

I pulled the previous thread up and responded to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: thread posted Saturday

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here