Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you do with old bed pillows?

Posted by aptosca (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 08 at 14:30

None of the charities will take them because of health reasons: lice, fleas, scalp diseases, etc. But I hate to toss them into the landfill. So what to do with them?
Thanks.
Clare

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you do with old bed pillows?

Will a local humane society/shelter take them for their dogs to lay on?
Leslie

o

I use the stuffing for dog beds.

o

Clare, I've been holding onto a trash bag full of old down pillows for that very reason!!!

o

The same thing happened a few weeks ago when we got a new mattress for one of the beds. The other mattress had been used for just about a year and had a mattress protector over it and was in very good condition, but we couldn't give it to charity. The people that delivered our mattress took the old ones and said they were going to put them in a dumpster that the store has just for that reason.

Linda

o

Our city (San Jose,) recycles fabric, so we can toss it in the recycling can.

o

Teri, A dry cleaner can clean and retick down pillows and they will look good as new for about $10/per pillow or less depending on the size of them. Or you can combine 2 into 1 pillow if they are flat.
Otherwise, the foam pillows I'd use for pets or padding when you move!

o

I use the old pillows for the Decorative Shams on my Bed. Pull out the "good" pillows for bedtime.

Gayle

o

I give them to my dogs for beds. I buy extra pillowcases just for them because one of my dogs likes to sleep inside the pillowcase.

o

I take my old feather pillows and make new ticking for them, if they are getting thin, I combine two, restuff and as I am doing it spray with lots of lysol and than hang out on the clothesline in the sun and let the sun and fresh air and lysol work on the feathers. They end up nice. I get rid of the feathers that are all broken down. Usually the wind takes care of the really small ones. The foams, the dog or cat gets a new bed.

o

Ours get re used as dog pillows (daughters), or for cushioning when we move something...

We also have four we use when we load several bikes in the van, to cushion them.

I have even cut them to a square and made seat cushions out of them.

Never tossed one yet.

Moni

o

I make shams or pillowcases for them and use them as decor on sofas, beds,etc. You can even make a removable, changeable cover by overlapping the back and making an "envelope". I used to do quilting and I still love sewing.

o

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will make decorative pillows out them by cutting them in half and putting on new fabric.
Clare

o

Strange-I've bought a few pillows over the years, but somehow I don't remember ever throwing one out? Where did they all go??

o

I will pull the stuffing apart and use it in stuffed animals or use it to make padding for animal beds. I usually store my extra blankets in the pillow shams.

o

I give them to the possums to sleep on and when they get dirty, I burn them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here