Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you have 60 seconds to save a Sears kit home?

Posted by rosemaryt (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 14:21

No foolin' - it only takes 60 seconds.

This kit home - based on the "Sears Lewiston" but ordered from Montgomery Ward - is going to be demolished in seven days to make way for a college expansion. The house is in Bowling Green, Ohio (at the BGSU campus).

Follow the link (below) to go to a site where you can sign a petition to save this house. The goal is 2,000 signatures.

The college is in quite a hurry to get this house torn down, and we're seeking a "stay of execution" so that we can do more research, or better yet, explore the option of MOVING the house to a new site.

Click on the link below to learn a little more about this 1930s Neo-Tudor, built by Virgil Taylor.

It's quite a story, and the house is definitely worth saving.

The house, soon after it was built:

Photobucket

The Sears Lewiston, upon which this house was based:
Photobucket

Comparison of the two houses:
Photobucket

The house today (and by the way, it's in very good condition). The college claims it's just in the way.
Photobucket

An original plank that was found in the house, showing that it came from Montgomery Ward.
Photobucket

Catalog pic of the door:
Photobucket

And the door in real life:
Photobucket

To learn more and sign a petition, click below.

According to "The Slate Bible" (2003), 28% of the debris found at landfills came from demolitions and remodeling.

This house doesn't need to end up at the landfill.

Thanks in advance for signing the petition.

Here is a link that might be useful: More about Virgil's Montgomery Ward/Sears kit house

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you have 60 seconds to save a Sears kit home?

I signed.

What a lovely building, with handicap access too! Hope it can be moved, or saved to use where it is located.

Sue

o

What a beautiful house! I love the front door. Signed, and hopefully the house can be moved to a new location.

o

I signed and alerted some friends.

o

A Denver campus created a special block of homes which were moved because of intrusion. It is built in a circle to be visited by anyone. They are small or about the size of one shown, wonderful examples of architecture during the eras. I suspect a grant was given to save the homes.

I hadn't thought about these homes for years. An example of not looking at what other's have done to honor our heritage. Why wouldn't the historical society come to the rescue?

Gosh, it has been a long time. I ran a search and other huge historical buildings are now part of the campus. All are part of campus use. Interesting and wonderful what they have done to retain all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Araria Campus

o

do you have an update on this? hopefully there was a 'stay of execution'

really intriguing situation!

o

I noticed the handicap access also. I signed the petition.

o

How sad to even consider demolishing this home! It's a pity they can't "work" around it and use it for something for the school. I signed.

o

I just received an email from the petition site. It reads:

"The Popular Culture Building has been demolished. (SignOn delayed my earlier message about final efforts to save it, and now it's truly too late.) Thanks again for your efforts to preserve an important and unique structure."

So, despite all the signatures, the house is gone. Very sad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here