SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Question on "Christian Literature"

chisue
9 years ago

I recently met a nice lady who told me she is a published author. I looked up one of her novels -- presumably for adults, but the summary sounds more 'young adult'. What is/is not 'Christian Literature'?

Comments (7)

• alisande
    9 years ago

I don't know anything about Christian fiction, but did you happen to notice who published her? These days lots of people are calling themselves "published authors"--because they're self-published. The Internet is full of vanity presses who will publish your book for a fee.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Wikipedia says "Christian literature is writing that deals with Christian themes and incorporates the Christian world view. This constitutes a huge body of extremely varied writing."

I think that's about right. It can be anything! CS Lewis, and JRR Tolkein wrote Christian literature, for instance. Doesn't have to be "devotionals" or discourse about biblical things. I know a writer who writes fantasy, much like Lewis and Tolkein and he too, considers his work Christian literature.

• joann_fl
    9 years ago

I love Christian books, I usually get the Christian romance books. No sex is talked about, you just imagine, like when we would watch the old TV shows like "I love Lucy" its there but not shoved in your face. Its more Christ themed then the regular books. Light and airy. If you have ever watched or read the "Love Comes Softly" series you will understand what I'm talking about.

Here is another version I found:

The best way to define Christian literature is with broader parameters. In order for a work to be defined as Christian literature, at least two of the following criteria must be met:

Christian literature is primarily written by Christians.

Christian literature is written from a biblical worldview. It adheres to the moral standards of the Bible. For example, a murder may be included in a Christian fiction novel but it is presented as immoral behavior.

Christian literature is written with Christians as its primary audience.

The themes of Christian literature are based in the teachings of Christ. This includes faith, redemption, forgiveness, and restoration.

• chisue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Legit publisher: Thomas Nelson. On that site I saw a couple comments on her (two) books. One was from a mother who said she had four daughters who were 'of an age to enjoy' the novels. The summaries lead me to believe these are about a young woman 'finding her path in life' -- presumably as a Christian.

Thanks for the help!

• sable_ca
    9 years ago

One of the largest and most well-thought of Christian publishers is Zondervan.

• joann_fl
    9 years ago

No not really about or for young women, its just "Christian" themed reading. Clean stuff with a biblical outlook. They have adult and youth books

• joyfulguy
    9 years ago

Much of Zondervan's publishing catalogue contains a substantially fundamentalist viewpoint.

ole joyful