Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you think a good percentage of letters

Posted by kfca37 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 14:17

to Dear Abbie-type advice columns are just plain faux?

In today's newspaper there was a lady who complained that her husband was probably not true to her, & how could she make him true to her. BTW, she's his fourth wife. I often wonder the same about the "Miss Manner's" letters. The letters often sound as "arch" as her replies.

Now that correspondence to advice columnist can so eaasily be sent via email, which lends itself SO easily to fiction creativity, I can't help but wonder.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you think a good percentage of letters

Could be. I never take those columns too seriously. If good advise is gven and something can be leaarned then who cares if it's made up. I look at is an entetainment.

o

I do not think that "Dear Abbey" has to make up stuff. I believe that she recieves more letters on a daily basis than she ever replies to. Her file cabinet must be stuffed with material. Therefore, on a slow day, she could dive into the files to find a subject, and then highly fictionalize it. Is all that stuff true? Who knows?

However, some of the subjects are so dim witted that I suspect these submissions are made up and sent in as a lark, or maybe as a heavily disguised tale about a real event and the submitter wishes to find advice without revealing too much about themself.

o

I think the 'original' Dear Abbey (or her sister) always claimed that the letters were true and that "life was/is stranger than fiction". I sort of agree with that idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here