Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chuy's Mexican Restaurant

Posted by jude31 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 14:09

A Chuy's Mexican Restaurant opened today in Knoxville. I'm taking DIL and GD to lunch there on Friday. I wanted to see the menu on line but it is not posted yet. Read the reviews for one at the Summit in Bham and they were awful. Apparently service is non-existent. Not that much about the food. Nhvl din't fare much better. Anyone eaten there yet, and would you recommend it, any special dishes you liked?

Thanks.

jude

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chuy's Mexican Restaurant

No never been there but they opened a couple of new Juan and Lefty's around here and they are very good we have been several times. WE also like Gringos which is a chain too.
Another chain that has come in the area is Alicia's Mexican Grill we have had really excellent food and service there.

don't know if you have any of those in your area.

o

I've been to the one at The Summit, twice!

Reviews were correct!

And it is VERY NOISEY!

Service not that great either!

Food not so great as well!

Not my place for good Mexican food.

o
RE: Chuy's Mfffexican Restaurant

Here's the menu

Here is a link that might be useful: chuy's menu

o

Thanks Glenda, I thought you might have first hand information. You're a woman after my own heart.

o

Just looking at the menu, it is not impressive. Nothing special, looks like stuff just put together.

o

We've had a Chuy's open here in the last year and I think it's wonderful.There are several sauces to choose from and each one is really good and different from standard red sauce.I've always ordered chicken enchaladas and really been pleased.You should try it and decide for yourself.

o
RE: Chuvvvy's Mexican Restaurant

The two times I went they were packed, so others seemingly enjoyed.

Last time I went was this time last year on my birthday.

o

Chuy's in The Woodlands,(Shenandoah) TX is great. They have the BEST green salsa for chips. There are sooooooo many Mexican/Tex-Mex restaurants in the Houston area and Chuy's is a good one.

o

I guess it depends what you expect when you go to a "Mexican" restaurant. I prefer my ethnic food to be authentic. Looking at the menu, I rolled my eyes when I got to "Elvis Green Chile Fried Chicken" which is "breaded with Lay's potato chips," or the Fajitas marinated in "Shiner bock beer"!

o

I went to the new one in Knoxville today and wanted to share my experience. The place was packed at 11:40 a.m. and our wait was said to be 6 - 9 minutes. It was noisy up by the wait station during the wait. We were seated in that time frame and waited on shortly thereafter and it wasn't noisy at all at our table. We ordered an appetizer of spinach dip, a half pound hamburger to share as well as a club sandwich to share along with fries. We knew we would be bring some of all of it home. The spinach dip arrived in a timely manner but we waited and waited for the sandwiches to come. My friend went to the hostess and asked for the manager. He followed her to see which table we were and returned to say that it was on the way and that he was taking care of the check. (We had watched 3 parties come in after us and get their food before us so she was determined to speak up.)

The appetizer and sandwiches were wonderful but I was having trouble biting off a bite of my club sandwich. I gave up and looked at it and discovered that they included the piece of paper that was separating their slices of cheese! My friend looked at hers and found the same since we shared halves. The waitress came by to see how everything was and we laughed and told her what happened but not to worry since we knew they were busy and new having just opened on Monday. Well, the manager came to the table again and said, "We really aren't trying to keep you two from coming back!" He wanted to know what he could do to make it up and did we want a chicken pot pie. I said nothing but my friend said Chicken tenders would be great! I was embarrassed but we assured him that the only reason we said anything was to have them let the kitchen check things a bit closer. He showed up almost immediately with a huge plate stacked with tenders and fries. We had to try one and it was wonderful as well as the homemade honey mustard sauce.

So, after a long story, I was very impressed with the food and the service. I look forward to going back again and again to try many things on the menu.

o

Hmmm, never been in a "Mexican" restaurant that served spinach dip, hamburgers, club sandwiches, chicken 'tenders' or fries.

Nice that the food was great, but there was nothing Mexican about it!

o

I am fortunate to live in an area with a large agricultural presence and because there are a lot of Hispanics here, our Mexican restaurants are generally not chains, but small mom and pop places with great food.
Santa Maria, Guadalupe, Nipomo, Oceano and Pismo all have great places.....some out of the way and some not. Fresh ingredients are a plus.

o

Oh we have the real deal on darn near every street and then the real real deal in the parking lot in the food truck.
Lots of good stuff.

o

I moved from TX over a year ago,so I don't know about the menu changes with spinach dip or whatever. Their "Mexican" food was good, not the best, but good. And anything made with Shiner beer is so TX and something I'd want to try! We're in Central FL now, and haven't found even a "good" Mexican/TexMex place.

o

Like Carol I am fortunate to live in an area of authentic Mexican restaurants from several regions.

I tend to eat at mom and pop ethnic restaurants. We also have Salvadoran and Peruvian food available.

Tons of taco trucks too.

We do have the large chains and I have no idea why anyone would choose to eat there. The food all tastes the same. I guess it's the super-sized cheap drinks that make them popular.

o

I have to admit I'm not looking forward to lunch at Chuy's today. However, I'll wait until I have been there to pass judgement. I agree that hamburgers, club sandwiches and chicken tenders does not sound like a Mexican restaurant to me, at all. That's very disappointing to me, but I'll find out at lunch.

o

Like ravencajun says, this area has every kind of Mexican, Tex Mex, ethnic and taco truck you can think of. There are several chains that have a sort of Mexican name and yet serve
things you wouldn't associate with Mexican food, but they usually serve them well. When I eat Mexican food, I prefer to go to one that just serves Mexican food. A place called Mely's....which doesn't sound Mexican...is my favorite around here and in Houston, there is a place on Richmond Blvd., not far off of Montrose called Zapultapec's that has an extensive menu of genuine Mexican food, and the best margaritas around. It is a hole in the wall...used to be an old house and from the looks of the outside, you might want to pass it up, but to anyone in the Houston area....try them.

Generally speaking, I have found Mexican restaurants to have excellent service. And there is at least one on every corner around here.

o

You know what???!!!!! I have totally lost my mind!!!!!!! We went to Cheddars, not Chuys!!! We were headed to Chuy's and saw the new Cheddars and stopped there instead. Oh my gosh, I can't believe I wasted all of your time on my post. Please excuse my error.

o

The only way we would go back to the one in Tyler is if we took our own hot sauce. There are several to choose from, but we thought they were awful. The food and service at ours was fine, but that hot sauce. Good grief. Awful. Too many Mexican restaurants to choose from w/o even thinking about that one.

o

hey not a waste we had a good discussion about Mexican food and restaurants and I bet some of us learned something we did not know!
I now know the name of a couple of places that I want to try since Marilyn_c said how good they are!

We love Mexican and Tex Mex when we go out to eat it is probably 89% of the time going to be in that category. Seafood is still number one for me LOL But so many of the Mexican places here have some great seafood dishes too.

So how did you like Cheddars? I used to really like them but the last time we went it was just ok and very crowded then the waitress lost our credit card! She finally found it but of course we had no idea where it had gone during that time, luckily no charges appeared.

o

jae tn, my grandaughter had already figured it out!!! We enjoyed our meal, didn't have to wait that long and our server was great. Servings were generous and we brought takeouts home. And yes, we'll go back. I thnk Abuelos or Chez Guevera may be my preference though. Haven't been to the new Cheddars but have been to the one in another part of Knoxville.

o

Raven, I don't know where in "Houston" you are (we were in The Woodlands) but if you can make it out to Magnolia, check out el Chapparo. It is the BEST we found and was well worth the 1/2 hr. drive (even tho Lupe Totilla, Los Cucos, Chuy's, taco trucks, etc. were way closer.)

o

I am very close to the Woodlands so Magnolia is not that far. I am making me a list!
We used to really like a little place on Kuykendahl called Evas but it just wasn't up to par the past few times.
Thanks I can see Mexican food in my near future!

o

I am very close to the Woodlands so Magnolia is not that far. I am making me a list!
We used to really like a little place on Kuykendahl called Evas but it just wasn't up to par the past few times.
Thanks I can see Mexican food in my near future!

o

If you go to Zapultapecs....it is east of Montrose on Richmond, a few blocks down on the right (like you are headed towards downtown), try the Chappalines. I think that means grasshoppers or crickets...but it isn't. It is flour tortillas with fajita meat and grilled onions, cilantro and Mexican cheese. They are huge and you get two on the plate...big enough to share or one to take home. Their salsa is made from fresh chopped ingredients. A little hot for my tastes. Mely's in League City (just outside of South Shore Harbor) and maybe one in Kemah on the boardwalk, (not sure if they ended up with one there or not...I never go to Kemah any more) has the best green sauce. Also the best pork tamales. My daughter has eaten everything on their menu but I stick with my favorites. Love the Sopa Poblano too.

o

marilyn, I agree about Mely's being great -- daughter used to live in League City. Raven is up near the Woodlands -- long drive to League City unless you have a baby grandaughter there.

Raven, if you want EXCELLENT Chinese food, the Double Dragon in Magnolia is the place to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here